Yet another disappointment :(

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Donamo, Oct 6, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

^^ Yes but you have never had any vertigo so you're on a different place on the MM spectrum. Start having vertigo attacks that incapacitate and debilitate you for years, drop attacks that prevent you from driving, working, traveling, and you'll be running to a surgeon begging for intervention.

2. June-

June- New Member

You bet! I was however on the road to vertigo, there had begun to be warning signs and happily i have turned the corner where that is less likely to happen. The other thing is i am bilateral. My right balance nerve is nonexistant and my right hearing nerve is gone so a cochlear implant is not an option on that side. The damaged left side is all I have. So i had a lot riding on this. The route i took has been successful for a number who hve vertigo according to reports here.

But i would never try to persuade anyone not to pursue a surgical remedy. I would never try to persuade anyone to take any particular route. What i would say is if a person is going to try to dope out contributing factors, they are not likely to be successful if they go in thinking that a step backwards means they werent on the right track.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I know :)

I am similar in my views to you in that I'm not medically or surgically inclined unless I've exhausted all other avenues.

Still, those options are available and it's important for posters to know that surgery has given lots of people their life back.

It's the reason I asked the OP if he had gone the antiviral/allergy shots route. I think that needs to be the first line of action to preserve hearing and deal with active symptoms. If that should not work, then move on to the alternative routes.

4. June-

June- New Member

:D

I am all for surgical remedies. I have much less fear, having had a more serious brain surgery myself and lived to tell the tale. I am not sure what i have said that indicates otherwise. My point is .... IF you are trying to figure out contributing factors, dont over interpret a step back, let the trend line guide you in your interpretation.

5. chargedcurrent

chargedcurrent New Member

Donamo - Your timeline is very similar to what I have experienced. My attacks come in clusters. About 1 day after the initial trigger I have my first bad attack. I then have a cluster of aftershocks over the next few days. These generally decrease in severity and duration from the initial attack. My advice, based on only my own experience, is to redouble your efforts on the diet. If it was the restaurant visit that caused your episode, then I would expect 2-3 days of feeling not-so-well and then gradual improvement. This is consistently my pattern. The triggers vary, and the attacks vary, but the post-major-attack-pattern seems fairly constant.

6. meyers23

meyers23 New Member

Not to rain on your parade, but, in March of 2011 I would have sworn to you that a chiropractor cured me. I had had a couple of real good blowout vertigo attacks and all the other accompanying symptoms for a couple months. After one particularly nasty vertigo attack, my wife made me an appointment with a chiropractor the next day. I felt decent that day, but afterwards, I felt fantastic. I continued to see the chiropractor through the summer, the whole time I felt 100% fine. Vertigo? gone. Fullness? gone. Hearing loss? gone. Tinnitus? gone. I literally felt like my old self again. Then as I was still seeing the chiropractor everything returned. I realized that I was just in a remission period.

The fluctuating hearing loss you're experiencing is a classic symptom of MM. Everything goes in cycles.

In August of this year I finally decided to start getting destructive with my ear. I had two gent injections. I haven't had a vertigo attack now in two months. I've been recovering from the gent injections slowly over the past month. I got 24 hour dizziness (a feeling of being REALLLLLLLLY drunk) that my doctor said was a good thing. I feel a lot better now. I still have the fullness, tinnitus, and the hearing loss, but I don't have the vertigo (so far anyway) and the dizziness continues to get better day by day. I don't know if this will last forever, I hope it does, but it would not surprise me if the beast came back at some point.

All of this is to say, I tried many of the methods people suggest on here and to varying degrees of success. That success I chalk up to the variability of this disease. At one point, I actually got pissed at (I think) Bulldogs because he would routinely come on threads and say some variation of "Get a laby!!" I've since gotten over that and realize now that he was at where I'm at now. Ready and willing to do whatever necessary to get my life back. Even if it meant permanent destructive damage to my ear.

Sorry this was so long. Hopefully what I wrote makes sense.

7. Donamo

Donamo Guest

I would imagine that was a very black day. It is hard to accept that these fluctuations, bad days, good days, long periods of bad days, long periods of good days, are all just random events but for sure that is what they seem. I too will go the destructive route if I face the same situation as you. But for my own peace of mind, I too will try all the alternative recipes first, all at the same time if I have to! LOL

Good luck to you with your new approach, at least you are doing something that has been shown to work and there is always the labby, just ask Bulldog! :)

At least with MD you can get that drunk feeling without the expense :) Unfortunately it is without the fun too.

8. meyers23

meyers23 New Member

LOL. Despite my experiences, I would still encourage others to try anything and everything first before getting destructive. If they don't work, you will realize when the time is right to start getting destructive. But that is the maddening thing with this. You just never can really tell if something is working or not.

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Lots of "little" things count to as far as feeling unstabel, unsteady gait etc. arfe concerned. Potassium level is one of those things. The average adult (unless you have a specific medical condition) needs to consume 4700mg of K a day. It's not easy to get in that amount on a daily basis. Add to that the necessary amount of magnesium anf sodium in order to have balanced elctrolyte function.

Those on diuretics may have blood work that show their electrolytes are within range but they may not be consuming the amount needed on a daily basis thus exacerbating the negative effect of the diurectic.

Make sure all the 'little" things are also being given due importance.

I use a food tracker to see how much of what I get on a daily basis and despite having a mostly vegetarian diet and eating healthy foods, I still don't make it to 4700mg of K every day.

Bananas tend to trigger migraines (in me) so I eat those sporadically.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Pardon the typos. Unstabel? Sheesh :D

11. meyers23

meyers23 New Member

What do you use for your food tracker? Is it an app or web based? I would be interested in doing something similar to that that can then spit back out the nutrients you have consumed and where you're deficient, etc.