YEP...ANOTHER NEWBIE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by jen, Jul 20, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jen

jen i have mm...it does NOT have me..:)

Im starting Acyclovir 2morrow morning...800 mg 3 times a day....im also taking JOH and 4500 mg of lysine spread out throught the day (been doin this for about 3 weeks ) started JOH again after 4 years with no symptoms but like a dumb dumb stopped taking JOH due to being symptom free......anyway im confused by some of the posts because some suggest that things may get worse before they get better...i had one of the longest vertifo attack 2day which took me 2 hours to get under control with valium (which i HATE taking all while i was at work :'( and im hoping it doesnt get much worse than that for me or anyone else for that matter!!!!! was wondering if anyone could share their experience(s) with the length of time b4 they saw some relief....in advance thanks a million

2. Joanne5170

Joanne5170 New Member

This is a very unpredictable illness we never know for sure whats next.

After you are back with your meds and Lysine you should see improvement.

Its also possible that you were in remission for several years and that taking large dose of Lysine
    had nothing to do with the Menieires. I would consult with your dr. about taking large doeses
    of Lysine it is reported that it can cause kidney problems in some patients. I cant imagine it
    stops vertigo. Its use is for virus. Its still a mystery what really causes this beast to act up.

We do know that low salt helps so that we dont get a fluid buildup. Some say its allergies virus

Certainly low sodium diet meinette box Serc has helped some patients. Hopefully diet and meds
    will help you to go back into remission.

I personally had disabling vertigo none of the above helped me until I had VNS. in 2002.

Good Luck Joan

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

This is not so. There is not a shred of evidence that lysine at the doses used in my regimen (from 500 to 4500 mgs/day) causes "kidney problems" in humans. In rats, at much larger relative doses, that may be the case. But we don't have rat metabolism of lysine, and no one is going to take the relative large doses of lysine that caused problems in lab rats.

And yes, lysine really does stop Meniere's symptoms, in exactly the way acyclovir and other prescription antiherpetic drugs bring relief: it stops the activity of herpes viruses causing infection in the inner ear or its associated nerves. There is now a large body of clinical evidence for this.

You can read about this in portions of my document here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

--John of Ohio

4. Joanne5170

Joanne5170 New Member

You are not a doctor and should being giving medical advice. Any patient taking large doses should
    first consult with their doctor.

New studies I read have found in animals taking large doses of Lsyine can develop kidney problems.

Also large doses can cause stomach ailments.

There are many theories what causes this horrific illness we still are not sure.
    This is what we know for sure low sodium diet, less stress, and some meds may help reduce
    the symptoms. Some say allergies virus The bottom line no one knows for sure. What we know
    any patient who has suffered with classic menieres ( disabling vertigo and low volume hearing loss
    and has exhausted all options that are medically available would be a candidate for VNS.

Joan

5. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

Joan,

Better not eat a big steak, then, without consulting your physician. Lysine is a common amino acid in virtually all foods with proteins. Lots of it in a steak (although when mixed with other amino acids, protein-bound lysine doesn't suppress herpes viruses).

Lysine is not a drug. It's a common, even essential nutrient. And 3000 mgs is not, by any means, a "large dose."

And those who wish to, should ask their physician about taking 3000 or 4000 mgs of lysine each day. If he knows any of the current literature and studies, he will indicate that those are moderate and healthful doses.

--John of Ohio

6. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Hi Joan,
    In his write-up, John of Ohio urges anyone considering his regimen to consult their doctors first, and many people on the forum have, indeed, gained the approval of their doctors. But I agree that each person should consult with his own doctor and not just blindly trust anyone's word on the Internet. I know in my husband's case, he is grateful for JOH's research, which has allowed him to avoid surgery and get his life back by taking antiviral medication. This does not negate the positive experience you have had with the VNS. It is always good to read about the positive experiences people are having with different approaches.

To answer Jen's question, my husband took L-Lysine for one month before eventually taking Acyclovir. When he first took L-Lysine, his symptoms became worse for a short period and then gradually stabilized and showed some improvement. By the time he started taking Acyclovir, the medication worked very quickly, and he was feeling really good within just a few days. Full relief, however, has been gradual. It is very individual, and different people have had different experiences. I really hope that the medication works for you and that you come to experience full relief in a short period.

7. phildsc

phildsc New Member

When I started the JOH I printed out John's regimen and Papajoe's study on the etiology of Meniere's (See the DataBase section.)
    My good PCP did a study on the contents of the regimen and their relation to the prescriptions I'm taking for my other incurable diseases: cardiac, arthritic, bursitis, retinoschesis, diabetes. He approved the JOH and encouraged my habit of keeping a log of blood sugar measurements, meals and Meniere's attacks. After more than a year and a half on JOH I have had a handful of minor dizziness attacks, no real vertigo with vomiting, and reduced tinnitus. I feel I got my life back.

8. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I too took the regimen to my PCP who recommends this for anyone he knows with MM. I've said it a hundred times, without the regimen I would not be able to live my life. And I can eat anything I want, including sodium, chocolate and alcoholic beverages.

9. Sethwoman

Sethwoman Get busy living or get busy dying.

Just curious about how long it takes to see improvement? I am newly diagnosed, been on low salt diet for 6 weeks and have felt significant reduction in fullness. I am slowly taking more and more of the JOH supplements. I know everyone is different, and I will give this thing 6 month trial as suggested on JOH's site. Just curious..

10. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

For the fullness, it took me about 7 months to get relief. The lo so did nothing for the fullness for me, as I now eat whatever I want and it makes no difference. I take up to 4 lemon bioflavonoids a day, depending on how the ear feels.

11. Funshine

Funshine New Member

RR I love your baby...sorry....could not resist!
    I will add that I feel JOH put me on track to a possible viral etiology to this thing...which soon after led to Acyclovir...I was on the low salt and HCTZ routine as well but I am off it now...Currently I feel the majority of my symptoms are controlled or in remission, or whatever...I take Acyclovir 800 mgs twice a day, a few elements of JOH, and I take Vitamin C (1000mgs twice a day). As far as time frame for improvement...in my case it took months on the Acyclovir, so don't give up too soon Jen...