Xanax

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Ken Glaser, Dec 22, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Ken Glaser

Ken Glaser New Member

Hi everyone and a very happy Christmas to everyone.

I would like to thank you all for what you have done for me this year :). If it wasn't for this web site - well I really appreciate you all.

I went to my ENT today. I have been having very loud tinnitus - like I am standing next to a jet airplane. Anyway, he gave me a good head exam and told me to get off caffein completely and to limit aspirin to 81 mg. He also gave me a prescription for Xanax. I have never used this before so I thought I'd touch base with you all to find out your usage of it. He told me not to drive and that I would likely want to spend time in bed after taking it. He also told me to limit its use to when the noise was the loudest. It is pretty loud right now. In addition, he asked me to get an MRI to check out any possible problems up there. I go in for it tomorrow.

So, I would appreciate any info you may have on this drug.

Ken - Denver

2. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I love it!

3. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

I take it daily for anxiety due to all this. I'm on a very low dose---0.25 mg. and I can take 2 a day but rarely take more than 1 total (taking 1/2 one at each dose)/
    Read my post here today on depression--that's what I'm dealing with today, more than usual.
    I've had the type of tinnitus you are speaking of and it was 'awful'! That was the worst part and occasionally comes still, but the xanax has helped through that too.
    I hope it helps you. What dosage are you on? It does relax you but on my low dose, rarely do I need to sleep, though it can help with that I know. However, it does cause me to have bad dreams, even nightmares. A tradeoff for getting through the day at times.

4. mikeg

mikeg New Member

I`ve used it daily for around 20 years.

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Ken you must be extremely careful with xanax as it is habit forming. It has helped me over the years with my combat against the "beast" however in doing so I also became dependent and it has taken me years to wean myself off.
    10 mgs of Valium would equal about .5 mgs of Xanax meaning that xanax (alprazolam) is a more potent drug than Valium (Diazapam). Both are tranquilizers.

Larry

6. Ken Glaser

Ken Glaser New Member

The dosage I am on is .25MG. The actual stuff is called alprazolam which I was told is generic for Xanax.

God bless,
    Ken - Denver

7. nassman

nassman Guest

Really? Tell us more.

8. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

It sounds like you need a hobby dude!

9. nassman

nassman Guest

Maybe I'll take up popping pills....:)

10. mikeg

mikeg New Member

nassman, xanax and drugs in this class can be very helpful. We all know the risk, lets not throw out the baby with the bath water. Don`t start anything or i`ll post the naked pics of you again:)

11. Skye76

Skye76 New Member

Hi Ken,
    First off, caffeine, sadly, is a major trigger for me. It also increases my tinnitus tenfold, so hopefully your reduction of caffeine will help with your tinnitus. It definitely helped me to remove caffeine from my diet.

Regarding xanax, I was a bit nervous to take it, as I'm not a big fan of pills. I don't even like taking ibuprofen. :) Anyway, I tested out a small amount to see how I felt, and didn't notice a thing. when I began taking my full amount, the only thing I noticed was that I was a little bit sluggish, though not completely drowsy by any means. I was on a small dosage, however.

I don't typically drive, so that wasn't an issue for me, but xanax didn't really change my behavior, mood, or ability to get through my day. What it did do, however, was to help lessen the severity of several attacks. I've since found that valium works much better for me, but for some people xanax offers great relief.

Of course, discuss the risks with your doctor, but hopefully you find some relief soon. :)

12. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

I find klonopin to be better than Xanax Carole

13. ThornInDaesSide

ThornInDaesSide New Member

Xanax made me feel as though my skin was crawling/didn't fit right, and didn't touch the tinnitus, so I came off of it PDQ! My doctor put me on Prozac, which has me on such an even keel, my husband is turning romantic! (Prior to the Xanax, I was on Lexapro. NEVER AGAIN.) I've still got the tinnitus, and am working on getting over/around it.