xanax cause depression for anyone?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by princessmommy, Oct 1, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. princessmommy

princessmommy New Member

Hi all-

So, I'm wondering if any of you have experienced depressive side effects from taking Xanax type drugs for MM? I usually take Niravam when I have an episode, but since have surgery, I'm supposed to take 1/4-1/2 of Xanax 2 times a day. HOping someone else can shed some light on this...
    Nancy

2. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Hi Nancy

Yes, benzos can lead to depression in some people. That's why they are used short term in small amounts. I know someone who has taken Xanax for 12yrs, never upped his dosage and is fine, no depression. He uses at nighttime as he has night terrors and the xanax helps. So - everyone is different.

Mya

3. joyoncnrse

joyoncnrse New Member

I have felt some depression after the shunt surgery, but I dont think its from xanax. My energy level is still off and I think that depresses me more than anything. I went to Nashville today for my 2 mo post op check up and it was a good visit. I still have occ. dizziness ( although not debilitating like before ) ,plus my balance is off. The MD states its from the fluid that is still in my ear from the surgery. He said sometimes it takes 6 months to totally heal.
    He told me to hold my nose and blow to pop my affected ear and that will hasten the drainage from my ear.
    Have you had any vertigo since your surgery or imbalance???? Thanks , think of you and hope you are doing well. Paige

4. princessmommy

princessmommy New Member

I haven't had the bad vertigo attacks since my surgery, but I certainly have been imbalanced!! I still feel like I have a lake in my ear and the fluid is driving me insane. My ear has always felt "full" but now I can hear the fluid moving and 6 months seems like a long time. Although, if it is successful than all will be great!

It makes sense about energy levels. My energy level is below normal for sure. I hit the wall everynight about 7pm and barely make it through my kids' bath and bedtime routines before I completely pass out myself. I am usually a really upbeat, optimistic person and so I guess I was hoping that the change wasn't a result of not being able to do things but medication. Probably a combo of both. Thanks and let's keep in touch. I have a dr. apt. on Wednesday, 7 weeks out, so we'll see how things are.

Nancy

5. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta New Member

I can't really help too much there.....
    I have been using benzos for some time - but up until a few days ago, only during a vertigo episode.
    Now I am using them every day - but a few days is not enough to tell....

6. sparrow

sparrow Guest

Nancy ~ talk to your doctor about lowering your dosage. I found that when I am too high on the benzos I get very depressed.

Sparrow :D