xanax..................bi lateral frequent attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by cc2032, Apr 8, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cc2032

cc2032 New Member

I was put on Xanax for the first time last week. Have problems taking valium so my doc thought this was the next step. I have episodic vertigo up to 20 times a month..............

Taking .5 mg and somtimes it helps (cuts the duration of my episode down) and sometimes nothing.
    Not sure why it's good sometimes and nothing the next??? How do people work on this drug?
    Feel pretty tired and out of it for a few hours. I would greatly appreciate anyone's feedback on Xanax.

Thank you very much

J

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

pnr - 'only as needed' please use this sparingly and wisely and only when desperately needed

hope you find peace - I too have lots of vertigo and it is not nice but you can and will get thru this -

drink lots of water

hugs/prayers

3. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

hi cc

theoretically, it "sedates" the inner ear as well as the CNS and this lessens the severity of the attack--during a full blown rotational vertigo attack, your inner ear is sending "bad" information to your brain and your brain is working overtime trying to make sense of the info (almost like it's saying to itself, "why the heck does everything look like it's spinning, it's not) and the xanax is supposed to slow things down (actually something is happening at the molecular level between the brain cells)

as far as it having more effect sometimes than others, this depends on way too many things to know why for certain--may depend on how "bad" the messages are form the inner ear--for instance, if the world is just barely spinning, it may mean there is only a little seepage between the endolymph an perilymph, whereas in a wild attack, there may be more--also, the particular state your brain is in at the time of the attack may have something to do with how effective the xanax is

you are asking the same questions many of us ask and they are good questions, and they are questions I asked my ENT and oto years ago, but unfortunately, there is no simple answer or no predictable response of the body to interventions--they work differently for each person and differently across time with an individual

good luck and if you aren't doing the xanax meclizine combo, ask your doc about that--also, check into vertigoheel--I don't know of any side effects associated with it

4. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

Wow, Xanax is a very serious drug. I'm sure you were warned of the side effects, but make sure you really understand them! I've never taken it, but my mom used to have to take it, and it really puts you out of it, as you said. I have taken atuvan (I'm not sure if I spelled that right) for my severe attacks, which is also a very serious anti-anxiety drug that can be addictive, so I used it extremely sparingly. I've taken many different drugs for my attacks, and none of them have been the kind of drug you can take and still be super functional. Mostly they all make you sleep or they make you high. I'm sorry!

5. Daize

Daize New Member

Hi! I take Xanax 0.5 mg. 3 times a day for anxiety disorder that began in 1995. For me no side affects at all. For me, I am taking not for meniere's, for anxiety. No side affects for me.

Take care

6. sjwo1

sjwo1 Hiking Utah

I am bilateral with the usual 2x a month spins attacks. I keep 1mg of Xanax in my pocket at all times. When an attack hits I pop it before I get sick. Clearly it helps cut down the severity and duration of an attack. Its the BEST thing I have done in my 30+ years with bilateral MM. I am post laby left side and know the attacks are coming from the remaining right side. Its listed as a vestibular depressant and it works for me. Also on non attack but off balance days it also helps a lot. I dont take every day but when things are a bit off center (cant track with my eyes) I take .5 mg 2x a day.

7. tipsy

tipsy New Member

Ever try Klonopin? It's like extended release xanax, it doesn't hit you all at once and knock you out. I take it every day, if you get used to it it will calm your inner ear without tiring you out. I also take meclizine daily, but since the Klonopin have been able to cut back on that.

8. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

I also take klonopin and have taken it for over 12 years. Several internist, including the one I saw on Monday have told me that if you need to take that type of medication, klonopin is by far the best. It is longer acting and calms anxiety and helps with the dizziness. I have taken .05mgs twice a day for over 12 years. My tinnitus is very bad lately and that along with my severe hearing loss and pressure may warrant me taking an extra dose. According to my internist she has advised me to do so. I am not a big fan of these types of medications, but in my case klonopin has been a life saver. Carole