X Ray

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by gilbyandnanc, Jul 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

I also need an xray on thurs its says head and neck and right TMJ does anyone no what that is aND Y DO I NEED an x ray if i have already had an mri....

2. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

The MRI looks more at your brain and it's structures. it's not really looking at the external structures as much and it doesn't get pictures of your jaw because that is at neck level. TMJ is the joint where your jaw connects. Some people with TMJ have meniere's type symptoms.

3. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

ok what is tmj

4. nassman

nassman Guest

TMJ is the temporomandibular joint. It is the joint thatallows teh jaw to move back and forth. If you place your finger about 1/4 of an inch to the right of your ear lobe and open and close your mouth, you will feel the joint moving.

Some people have a disorder with this joint that is caused by teeth grinding, trauma from accidents, other injuries, or plain wear and tear. Quite often, the symptoms from a TMJ disorder can be headaches, jaw popping, grinding noises and clicking when chewing, ringing in the ears, and even dizziness.

Many of my headaches from the past were caused from TMJ problems and poor posture. After tests such as yours, my dentist created a splint that I wear at night while I sleep. It has worked wonders for my headaches.

It is very treatable. That is the good news.

5. amberini

amberini New Member

It's your jaw joint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint

It can be out of alignment and cause pain, headaches ( more pain ) and sometimes mess up your ears.
    Xrays look at structure, MRI looks at soft tissue and bones. Besides, Xray is relatively cheap, MRI for your brain is about 2500.00. Xrays can be done without insurance approval, MRI requires it most of the time.

6. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

yes i do have one cause i do grind my teeth and have alot of pain in this area could that cause meniers like syndrome.......but I also have an inner ear problem my ear test i did she put air in my ears and made me were goggles to c if the prob was comming fr my inner ear and it is.......

7. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

i do wear a night guard but doesnt seem to be helping much

8. nassman

nassman Guest

Night guard is different than a splint.

http://www.nti-tss.com/

9. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

I think this is more to help with headaches dont think that could be the cause of my hearing loss......that hearing loss is gone the nerve has been damagedThis is y I cant see what they are realy looking for on an xray of my tmj