WTH?! - Prescribed Lasix (Furosemide) only to learn it's ototoxic???

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Minuteman, Aug 4, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman New Member

I don't do well on Hydrochlorothiazide (it's acutely fatiguing for me), so my ENT has me on a new script for 20MG Lasix (Furosemide). Imagine my surprise when I discovered it's ototoxic! Anyone care to educate me here? I'm new to the board, new to this disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furosemide

Thanks in advance.

Minuteman

2. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

I think a lot of drugs might be fall into this class.Does it depend on the dosage perhaps? Give your doctor's office a ring and speak with them about your concerns.

3. Minuteman

Minuteman New Member

Surely, you're right. Thanks James.

4. jimmykicker

jimmykicker New Member

I am on Lasix too. I don't think it does a damn thing for Meniere's. I think that the widely prescribed diuretics and low salt diet are a joke. I believe it is often used as a pacifier to keep your mouth shut because they figure if they give you pill maybe you might be convinced that the doctor did something worth paying for. However, I still take the Lasix because it does drop my blood pressure to an acceptable level which is a good "side effect" and that is what it is often used for anyway. Otherwise I wouldn't take it. My opinion is it's like expecting a cheese sandwich to cure Meniere's. Not happening.

5. Minuteman

Minuteman New Member

But James2013, you can't discount the examples of people who have had success on antivirals, can you? <shrug>

I'll say this much: this crazy ass disease/disorder/diagnosis is so utterly mysterious and elusive, it's hard to know what to expect from one person (and one therapy) to another. And I agree with you wholeheartedly when it comes to doctors pacifying their patients with a special diet and some water pills. What they're really saying is they can't do anything for you, so try to minimize the damage with these courses of action. (I believe there is merit in the CATS diet, however, no matter if you have MD or not.)

6. jimmykicker

jimmykicker New Member

Sure... a low sodium diet is a good idea for just about anyone. So that's something I have actually done even before this mess because high blood pressure and heart disease its what kills us in my family. My blood pressure had not started to creep up until a couple of years ago. I was involved with a deeply emotionally disturbed girl....and oh well...I put on weight, drank too much etc to cope. Stupid stuff. But I'd went deaf waiting on Lasix or Trimac to get my hearing back....

7. Oljanna

Oljanna New Member

Hello there - sorry to leave a message but when it comes to "ototoxic" both doctors and patients sometimes take it too lightly.
    A lot of the people and also doctors rush into things that have not been really proofed and mainly guessed. Gentamiacin Treatments are such things as well. Few people spend a thought about the high ototoxic effects Gentamiacin for example, which some decades ago was cause of a lot of people turning deaf (and for a long time the doctors thought that it were the measels or ear infection themselves who caused the deafness). Went into such an ototoxic treatment myself, but I was given the chance to weigh the pros and cons. I can only advice everybody to study the suggested treatments and side effects first before rushing in any treatment..

8. nicmger

nicmger New Member

Whether it is hydroclorathyzide or Lasix - make sure that either you monitor with your doctor your potassium level or take potassium supplement. They can deplete potassium from your system quickly which would absolutely make you feel fatigued.

In addition, when my ear is "full" and ringing for weeks on end, I find that I am fatigued...probably because without me knowing it my body keeps trying to fight/fix what is wrong and gets tired!

Good luck