WTF ?!? How about if I decide when I am disabled?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Michael, Sep 1, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

I have an annual physical for my job. I am a safety inspector/expert and I specialize in hazardous waste and power plants. It's been a rewarding and interesting career.

I was diagnosed with MM 3 years ago and this year we have a new MD reviewing the physicals. This is the guy I posted about a few weeks back who saw my audiogram and said "Son, what the hell is wrong with your left ear?" At the time it was funny. I explain to the Dr that I have MM. I get the results back this week and due to MM have several "restrictions" now placed on me. No working at heights, no working in confined spaces, no operating heavy equipment.

Not that I do much of those operations anyway - I am an inspector, but the previous Dr who had reviewed my case for 2 years didn't have an issue with it. And how about this - since I have MM, why don't I decide what I can and can't handle?

Dang. Stay tuned, I will be vigorously pursuing an appeal. I demand a rematch!!!!!

2. Daize

Daize New Member

Hi Michael - I don't understand this, your previous doctor had no problems with you working and you have been managing well from what I read.

Now this doctor tells you all this. As others come along with their input, it will be interesting to see what they think.

I would be very ticked off...grrrrr.

Ruth

3. DKF308

DKF308 New Member

If you can work & know your limits, why can't you work? You know SS Disability will say you can work in any type of a meaningful job whether you can or can't, so if you can work at your normal job, fight for it. I doubt he would stand behind you with SS either. Good luck.

4. nwspin

nwspin New Member

I used to be a Commercial Truck Driver. Meniere's disqualifies me from driving commercially in the US, too much of a risk. The only way I could get my CDL back is to get a VNS or Laby but I'm bilateral so that option is out.

Most employers will look at what kind of liability your disability would cause. For the employer it is not worth the risk having someone who could have an attack at any time, climbing ladders, etc. Your previous doctor that was giving the exams probably wasn't being thorough enough. I see these types of doctors in the trucking industry, some will sign your DOT medical card without much of an exam and most will do a thorough exam to qualify you to do your job safely.

Unfortunately we are in a Catch 22 with this condition. Most of the time you can function normally but then there is the risk that you could have an attack and cause harm to you or others in the workplace and most companies do not want to assume that risk.

It sucks but that is the reality of it. With ADA protections you probably could protect your job with workplace modifications.

5. June-

June- New Member

It's a liability issue that your employer is thinking about. THey would sue him not you. I hope you can get it straightened out or at least have it acknowledged that you can do your job in a way that does not entail risk even if it is not exactly the same way you did in the past.

6. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

Michael

I know you must be pretty pissed off at having restrictions put on you, especially when the previous doctor didn't. But playing Devil's advocate, I would have to think that not working at hights or operating heavy equipment is probably for your own safety as well as others. Maybe in a sort of backhanded way, the doctor is looking out for you.

While I don't have to do that sort of stuff for my job (part time that it is), I've imposed those sorts of restrictions on myself for things around the house. My getting on a ladder to clean rain gutters or prune tree limbs overhanging the roof is for sure a thing of the past. There's no "heavy equipment" around but I take more precautions just mowing the lawn than I used to and on those rare occasions when I'm feeling solid enough to get out on the bike, I keep my rides within about 15 miles from home in case somebody has to come rescue me.

Good luck on continuing to work in your career as long as you can. There are many here who have had to give up their jobs and that can really be a problem financially, especially these days.

Tony

7. Michael

Michael New Member

Thanks for the support and differeing perspectives. That's what this board is all about.