writing

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by thornapple, Nov 22, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

someone send this sweet woman a really funny joke.

2. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Preferably a sheep joke. I really like sheep jokes. Smutty ones.

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

okay, so you have heard the one about the sheepherder in the restaurant and he orders.... oops, I guess I had better email this one to you!

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

woo hooooooo, we are almost done. I am revamping chapter 6. they decided we had enough plants. I am working with three editors to design the directory, one in Canada, one in the U.S. and one in London. They are sending the current chapter spreads by express courier so I can mark them up for rewrites because I don't like some of the edits, need to replace some of the illustrations, and need to write captions, they are helping me with the references cuz I never did that part before and want to make sure I do it correctly, they are sending me wads of money, and when it is all done they want me to do book tours, and with any luck it will be international ones, and no, there are no run on sentences like this one in the book.

This calls for a cup of tea!

5. Peanut Brittle

Peanut Brittle My Twerple Has My Heart

AAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKK! Thornie, this is TOO EXCITING! Will you get to go to OZ? UK? La de dah! Come to western MA-- finagle it somehow-- a book signing at the World Eye Bookshop in Greenfield, he.

Does this mean you can "ditch" the illustrations of mulch on veggies?

CONTRATULATIONS!

:D

6. thornapple

thornapple New Member

O lordy, I hope so! I want to get those wicked tomatoes and cabbages out of there! Thank you!

I just want to sleeeeeep right now....ooo, I have your little xmas present and haven't mailed it yet! ARGH! Nor the box to Brazil, but they are used to me....this place is SUCH a mess after all this work. If I go on book tours, I will either have to take the dog, or find some place for her to go visit while I do. She is such a spaz. Well, I used to feel like there was no way I would ever get this book done, but just like anything else, it's one step at a time.

7. Peanut Brittle

:D

I am super-delux, extra-special DELIGHTED for you!

8. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Are you really getting close to being done???

That calls for another trip to MI to see you and party :) :) :-* :-*!!

9. thornapple

thornapple New Member

OMG, it's prolly going to be on the bookshelf in REAL bookstores this summer! Is that cool, or what? And my orange kitty is going to be on page 47 in chapter 2, eating her catgrass! Can this be real?

10. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

babealicious for sure!

11. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Hey, Thornie - have you thought about copying and pasting into Word all these posts related to writing your book? (Don't forget the MAV Diet thread...) Kind of like an interactive blog....

Remember - the next forum crash may take it all away....

This goes for all you other writers out there...are you making copies of your work to save on your computers?

12. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

DC - I learned the hard way and now if I want to save/keep something I save it to disc. My computer crashes sometimes, too.

13. Peanut Brittle

I confess I don't know HOW to save material TO disks. I have disks! I have RE-WRITABLE disks, but when I try to save things it won't let me...

grrrr.

14. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Jenn - I can't explain it. I just pushed buttons and clicked on things until it worked. I do know I had to save it to Word first, and then to CD.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

Yes....saving is a MUST. I've had publishers lose my copy (back when we saved on floppies :D) All my publications and works-in-progress are on dual hard drives and memory sticks.

16. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I use USB hard drives. Go to CompUSA or a place like that and tell them you want one. Get one that is powered by plugging in to an outlet, instead of plugging in to your computer, then connects to your computer by a USB port. It's like having an extra 160 gig, for me.

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i have little problems writing its the editing that kicks my arse - but i do have several angels that help with the editing - hmm andrea, linda, etc...

18. thornapple

thornapple New Member

wooooo.....big package came today from UK, with the roughs in them. I am afraid to open it, because I know I will find more stuff I need to fix. AWK.

The good news: I found out it is now scheduled to be shipped in September, so I have plenty of time to clean up the messes and fix everything I don't like. The editor from the big label company called me today and it was great! She doesn't like the same stuff I don't like, and it wasn't anything I did, but things the other editors did. So we can change it back to the way I had it and make it even better, and it will be a relief. I was afraid they were going to publish it with all those funky changes they kept making, but they are not. They are going to listen to me instead. I feel better!

19. cowcollector

cowcollector Don't hug a tree, hug a cow!!

i am so happy for you darlin, but please forgive my stupidity
    in asking, what is your book about?

20. thornapple

thornapple New Member

It's about ecologically friendly landscaping for your home. Birds and bees, flowers and trees, mushrooms and possums and puppies and kittens and butterflies....heh. No, it's about designing your home landscaping to help heal the earth, basically.