WOW! Article on MM in O magazine!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Intrepid, Jun 18, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

2. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

That's totally fantastic news!!!!!!

3. mel b

mel b New Member

That is great news. If MM gets out there and becomes an 'issue' then research is sure to step up the pace!....or at least get into the game

4. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

<<<<flipping through the pages of July's O (oprah) magazine and on page 85 there is an article on MENIERE'S DISEASE!!>>>>>

That is fantastic. I don't think I've ever even seen Oprah's magazine but I know she has one hell of a following. My wife watches her show sometims and I remember when she was just an "assistant talk show host" on one of the local TV stations in Baltimore back in the 70's.

I've always said we need some publicity and a celebrity spokesperson. I was happy to hear Kristen Chenoweth's interview on NPR where she talks about here meniere's disease and dealing with it as an actress. Maybe somebody can get Oprah to have her on her show. Now THAT would be some good publicity.

Tony

5. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I wrote her way back in 2000 but never got a response. Back then I wrote everyone. ::) ::)

I dropped my subscription to "O" - I have too many magazines coming to my house. I am glad something was written about it, but they need more input than one who had something that worked. For all the somethings that worked, there are many who don't find things that work and the rest of us find that just allowing time to pass is all that will work after all.

In the end, no one has a cure, just a treatment plan and the passing of time to help get past the vertigo part.

6. lizzy

lizzy Relax and enjoy the view

Maybe Kristin Chenowith coming "out" with her struggle with MM shed some light on it for O. I'm surprised the article didn't mention Dr. Dizzy(Hain) right there in Chicago! But I'm grateful for any info put out there so people stop thinking I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. One of my friends told me to take a hot shower and let the stream pulse on my neck....it helped her sister's "vertigo" OMG.

7. mel b

mel b New Member

yeah- OMG! She would need a hot shower after just witnessing one of your vertigo attacks!!! ha,ha

8. Titus

Titus New Member

We should write letters to the editor thanking them for the exposure and encouraging them to give it more exposure. Oprah has an online site that's quite active.

9. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

<<<If your neck muscles are particularly tight they can cause the sensation of dizziness or imbalance. A hot shower with jets hitting trigger points in that area can help loosen up those muscles and relieve symptoms. >>>

I know you know the difference, but it continues to frustrate me when the general population goes around with these over simplifications like "oh take a hot shower and you'll be all better" or "my uncle used to have vertigo all the time, even had it sometimes when he was working on steel girders at the Empire State Building". They just don't get it and I suppose you just have to smile and say "thanks I'll try that" and move on. As has been said many times here, "dizziness" and "imbalance" are not vertigo. It's possible to go about many things in life feeling dizzy and imbalanced. It would not be possible to take that nice hot shower while having a true vertigo attack. Dizziness is inconvenience. Vertigo is incapacitation.

Forgive my frustration. I've just been sitting here for three hours waiting for the damned cable guy who's over an hour late and I'm ready to bite somebody's head off at the cable company.

10. lizzy

lizzy Relax and enjoy the view

Hi Intrepid, I'm sure there are some dizzy attacks that a hot pulsing shower could help. But I had just described a 5 hour rotational attack with nausea where I couldn't keep my meds down to her. I think her hot shower treatment was a little "light". My husband poor thing, has witnessed these attacks and taken the linens to the dry cleaners....he is my hero. He defends me while I just smile and say...OK, I'll try that.....

11. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Hey Intrepid.. Anything is better than nothing.!!! I felt compelled to write to "O" I don't know why I just did. Maybe her being from Nashville and me living here might 'spark' an interest. maybe not. Can't hurt. I know I'm not as bad as 1/2 the people that are in this support group, but as I've said as many times as i can. i don't know what i would do without all of you.

12. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

JOH if for ANY reason they would call me.. and Intrepid too, ya'll are BOTH going with me ha...

13. Genesis74

Genesis74 New Member

Wow! I'll have to pick up a copy.

14. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Interpid threw me off there with the PH. Us 'females" around her consider PH's Penis heads. Sorry Poppa Harley no offense. My cable hasn't worked bc of storms.. good THING I don't rely on the TV for my weather!!!!! My head is a better indicator of storms than cable.

15. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

You know, in 2007, when I was SO BAD, I wrote to Oprah and Dr. Oz asking WHY don't you do a show on Meniere's Disease? I told them that there were so many of us that suffered with it, that the word needed to be out there! I also wrote to Dr. Phil! Don't ask why, b/c I don't know why! I just know I wanted to die and if Dr. Oz could talk about every other medical ailment, why couldn't he talk about this one? Of course, I never go a reply from any of my emails. You can go to the Oprah website and send as many emails as you like.