Wouldn't You Know It...My Vertigo is Back 2 Days Before I Start My New Job!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dpa62, Mar 29, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

I can't believe this. My vertigo has been dormant for several months now and a couple of days before I start my new job it comes back! What's a poor soul to do? Sometimes I feel like I'm cursed or something. I didn't want to go to work all doped up on Valium but it looks like I'll have to until I get a grip on this vertigo spell I'm having. My spells come in clusters and I have a sneaky suspicion that I have BPPV because the vertigo only last about 30 seconds and it happens when I tilt my head a certain way. I don't spin but everything sort of tilts and sways. I was in the laundromat this morning and it hit me. I wanted to hurl but there was no place to hurl so I held it down. I can't let anything get in the way of this new job. It's a job of a lifetime for me and I cannot let them down nor can I let myself down. I spent 10 months trying to find a job and I was blessed with getting a position at the zoo. I'll be damned if I'm going to let Menieres screw it up for me. I don't really vent a whole lot here but I appreciate everyone letting me do so today. Have a great Sunday.

David.

2. Nancy2004

Nancy2004 New Member

I'm so sorry. Maybe the stress of starting the new job had something to do with it? We never know, do we. I hope it passes quickly and you have great luck at your new job!

Best wishes,
    Nancy

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Oh no, David. I remember the same thing happened to me about seven years ago. I had a vertigo attack about a week before starting my new job. I was lucky that once I started the job the vertigo went back into remission.

You might want to check into BPPV and MAV based on what you describe.

Hope it passes quickly.

4. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

I really do need to go to the doctor and get checked for BPPV and MAV but I have not had health insurance and I still wont have it with this job until I start full time in the summer. For now it's just part time and I have to rely on County Medical Services for my health issues and Menieres is something I have not mentioned to CMS because it has not bothered me until now. The ENT I see is excellent but she won't take CMS so I would have to see whoever they assign to me. Thank goodness the spells only last a few seconds but they do leave me feeling wobbly for awhile. I am stressed but it's in a good way. I guess you could say I'm very excited about the job and want to make a good impression and do everything right. Oh well I'll make somehow.

David.

5. Bluesky

Bluesky New Member

Hi David,

Sounds to me, it is stress induced..only natural since you are working yourself up into a get-ready-work-mode.

Try telling yourself, to calm down and when the first day comes, just play a trick on your mind and say Im just popping off to the zoo today..no big deal.

I used to get real nervous meeting new clients for my work and I did something similar, just told myself chill, it ain't no big deal..worked for me.

All mind over matter.

Bluesky

6. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

I agree maybe you are under stress because of the new job thing....it happened to me before, but then it will settle down. just relax, do your best take some valium to work and you'll be ok.

Hang in there!! good luck

7. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

David.

I'm feeling really bad for you at this point because I know how you must feel. My daughter starts a new job tomorrow and we haven't even spoken about it, like as not to jinx anything.

I'm going to agree with the stress theory and say that it could be triggering some of this. The fact that it's only a short duration "tilt and now a full blown "spin" is probably hopeful. I get those 30 second "hits" sometimes and they pass without much problem. However, low dose valium as a precaution for the next couple of days is probably a good idea. Sometimes just 2-3 mg is enough to keep things steady without any "doped up" feeling.

Good luck on this one.

Tony

8. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Yeah, sounds like stress to me too. I have 10 mg valiums, so sometimes if I know I'm going to be in a stressful situation, I'll take 1/4 of one, then I'm not in La-La land. Maybe you could do that and your spins would be okay. Good Luck tomorrow!!!

9. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

Thanks everyone for the great advise. It does make sense to take a lower dose of Valium just so that I can function with a clear head at work tomorrow and lower the chances of me having any kind of vertigo spell.

David.

10. Maple Street

Maple Street New Member

Aw Dave, I'm sorry this has to happen to you now. If it were me I would definitely be taking the valium and/or meclizine as a precaution. Just a quarter or half will hopefully get you through without giving you a dopey feeling. I'm a tiny person I am usually okay with that amount. About half an hour after I take it I have a sudden feeling of lah-lah land but that passes and then I am functioning normal, at least I think I am.
    Jane

11. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

I second this, take the valium in morning. I take klonopin daily and keeps it at bay for me, especially when stressed!

12. sjwo1

sjwo1 Hiking Utah

If you dizziness happens when you move a certain way then that is a very strong indication of BPPV. Once you are able to get under good care by someone who specializes in dizzy-balance disorders you can have them check that and they can tell right away if that is the problem. If confirmed they can fix that with simple manuever physical therapy. Sid.

13. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

Dave - There seems to be a consensus here of spins right before a new job - count me in as having had the same experience. Do what you have to do. If you have to take a 1/2 valium in the AM and one after lunch - do what you need to. You will be fine in a few days after learning the ropes.

14. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

Yes there does seem to be a consensus here and even though I don't feel stressed, I am excited for sure and maybe excitement can be a trigger as well. I will try taking 2.5mg in the AM and 2.5mg in the afternoon to see if it helps me. Thanks again.

David.

15. hydrops

hydrops New Member

David:

I went through this to a lesser extent when I re-entered the formal workforce last year. It was tough at first, but I gradually adapted. I paced myself through the day. If I needed valium or something else, I'd take it.

Docs: For those without insurance, some docs do phone consults for a cash fee. Naturally, you have to get your medical records to them well in advance, and needless to say, have your own questions ready, for it to be worth it. Feel free to pm me, and I'll give you some details.

Good Luck!!

16. sparrow

sparrow Guest

OH NO !!! David, really sorry to hear this. I agree with everyone here, it must be stress induced. My voc counselor told me that when I start back to work it will be interesting to see if the spins start up again. I am hoping and praying that this is temporary for you.

When is your first day?

Sparrow :)

17. katzefrau

katzefrau New Member

Sorry, David......you mention "excited not stressed".....excitement IS stress too! (just a positive form of it). We are all crossing our fingers for you that the dizzies you are experiencing are NOT the start of a bad spell. You are going to that zoo and going to do an amazing job and feel good doing it!
    katz

18. dpa62

dpa62 Guest

Thank you Katz. I am going to the zoo and I will give it 150%. For now I just feel like this is just BPPV because I am not spinning. I have had about 5 spells today but none of them were spinning. I move my head a certain way and then everything tilts and I get very dizzy. I have not taken any Valium today because I want it to work tomorrow if I have to take it. I start work tomorrow. If I take the medicine too much, it is not as effective. I'll let you guys know what happens.

David.

19. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

Hi David, I sure hope things get straighten out for you. Enjoy your new job!

20. vikx

vikx New Member

Good Luck David! You know I can't say it'll all go away-just a fluke. Ha. But hopefully, it is a little stress and some excitement, too. Hang in there, VK