would you?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Ali, May 10, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

Ali,

The Gent treatment is not only a temporary relief but it will probably cause some damage to the hearing. The sac surgery is a crapshoot. I had it done on both ears and only had 4-6 weeks of relief both times. It is a very major surgery for such a short relief. Some people have luck with it but I wasn't one of them. If you haven't tried the Meniett, I would recommend it before electing to do any surgeries.

Piggy

2. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Hi Ali, my doc put the ear tubes in my ears in his office in just about 5 minutes. When we decided to he just did it, i didn't have to let him know ahead of time. You might want to start a new topic something like "meniette coverage in Scotland" to see what kind of insurance coverage your fellow countrymen receive with this. Here, I got 80% of the $3500 covered after a bit of a battle. It is becoming more common here to get coverage (Our national healthcare just approved it some months ago and usually private insurances follow). Still tough though in some places. I think medtronic also has some payment plan options. You do get to use it for something like 4-6 weeks with no commitment and can return it if you feel it is not working. The company is very helpful on issues of insurance and you can call their 800 number to see what they think based on what you have. Good luck with it all....Lisa :) (My comment above to Piggy is that through my research I came to believe that gent can be a permanent treatment. Always room to say I'm in error though, but that's what I got from my research.)

3. Dizzy Little Piggy

Dizzy Little Piggy OINK OINK

My doctor at Mayo Clinic would not treat my ear with Gent because of the risk it has to cause permanent hearing loss and accelleration of hearing loss. I did have Gent injections in my other ear twice and both times it worked for only about 6-8 months. I am sure there have been cases where it has worked longer or has worked successfully. Just like everything else, we are all different in how our bodies react to the different treatments for Meniere's.

Piggy

4. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I agree, Piggy, and I should clarify that I do have hearing loss in that ear. Not complete but a lot, so for me the risk of losing the rest is quite different from those who have full hearing. I don't know if I would have opted for gent if this were the case. I think I stated this earlier, but just to clarify. It is an important factor to consider. I actually did some reading about it on the internet this afternoon, and as far as I can read, it seems the docs are favoring less of a dose more often, even if touch ups are needed a year or two out because the side effects are much lessened. It is interesting. If gent fails after a year, why not go back and get more? Just a question I have in general. It seems that they are saying this is a safer method and maybe even necessary when lower doses are opted for (the much more accepted method these days) Lisa

5. Ali

Ali New Member

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I will look into the suggestions. Like lisa i have only 10% hearing in the affected ear so not really much to loose but still not decided. See the doc on the 25th but on a more positive note i have had teo good weeks so who knows maybe it is settiling down for another year or two!!!!!!! Thanks again and take care
    Ali from accross the pond in Edinburgh :)

6. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Ali- so glad you've had a good week. My doc put the tube in in about 5 minutes in his office, no prior plan to do it needed, FYI. Lisa :)

7. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

There is no way I would advise you on what to do. I think you and your doctor should discuss this and make a decision. Blessings, Twinkle

8. wiggly-wobbly

wiggly-wobbly New Member

Don't let your doctor's ego frighten you into surgery! I can honestly say, (no offense to any doctors here) their egos are plenty large to handle a patient who chooses to put off a treatment for the time being. Let them know that FOR NOW you are luckily hitting a smooth patch, and that you would like to postpone the surgery until you hit a longer lasting BAD patch.

I myself have been permanently disabled with this since it hit in October 2003, unable to drive, or do anything usefull for my family (such as laundry, cook, clean the house). I only shower every couple of days (when appropriate) as it leaves me so exhausted I sleep for a few hours afterward and I usually end up with a vertigo attack by the end of my 10 minute shower. I am STILL trying to see if surgery is really the right step. I'm no stranger to surgery (5 knee, 2 foot, 1 shoulder), it's just that I'm afraid of making things worse, or even scarier, loosing my hearing.

That said, this truely is a personal choice that should be GUIDED (not bullied or pushed) by your doctor, and if you feel comfortable, your family or those close to you. I wish you the best of luck, are REALLY hope that your smooth patch lasts a good, long time.

9. Verti_Geaux

Verti_Geaux New Member

Do what you feel is right. You have that GUT feeling. At this point, I'm ready to do anything. I've been fighting this for almost 3 years now. Recently, I was flat on my back for almost 2 months off and on. When I wasn't spinning and puking, I just felt like crap! Couldn't drive or do any household functions. I was shakey on the inside, couldn't eat, felt like I was going to puke all the time. I have had a pretty decent 3-week period since I've been on steroids. I go to a Neurotologist on Friday and I will try ANYTHING because this is NOT living! I love life and I love to go and DO things! So, I will try anything at this point. God did not put me on this earth to lay in a bed all day long. I'm 50 years old, but I have a 13 year old daughter and we have a lot of LIVING to do. So, go with your GUT instinct and way the odds. For me, if I can feel BETTER then anything will be worth it!!!

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

10. Ali

Ali New Member

Thanks agian and i hope you all manage to hit a good patch . mine lasted two weeks but it's back again!!!!! so hear we go again anyway take care everyone
    Ali from accross the pond in Edinburgh