Would you rather take meds or would you rather suffer?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by gardenfish, Jul 7, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. survivedit

survivedit New Member

I'll suffer up to a point and then take the meds. I'm no martyr.

I agree with Seadog.....how can you tell which kids are ADD - they all seem like that to me. All 5 of mine (that are all bright, well-adjusted people IMO) seemed like that when they were young.

Bob

2. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I take what I need when I need it. But am a faithful JOH vitamin regimen person who has decreased my prescription intake.. once again not sure if it's the Dex or the vitamins I'm really leaning more and more to the vitamin. But I WILL still take my meds when needed.

3. pardonme

pardonme Guest

4. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I know it is not an easy question to answer and I believe it is essential to know exactly what we are using for meds, how and why.

5. June-

June- New Member

While I said I would never needlessly suffer, it is also true that I take no drugs at this time because I am not suffering.

I don't believe in taking drugs to avoid 'feeling' physical or emotional things or to make my demeanor more to someone's liking. That's not suffering. Suffering is severe pain physical or mental.

6. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

I think that the more experience I have with life, the more likely I want to stay on my meds. The more open-minded I am, the more likely I will stay on my meds. The more I hate being sick, the more I want to stay on my meds. It is so sad to know how much of the way I think and feel is dependent upon chemicals. It makes me feel so much more like a machine than a person. I hate the "path" I have to go down in-order to be "me", but I like "me", so I'm taking mine.

7. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I take the meds and will continueto do so. It's the only way as far as I am concerned.

8. Stick

Stick Guest

If I feel like an attack may be coming I take meclizine. If it's too late I take ativan. I would rather take that than puke so bad I rip muscles in my chest and have to deal with that for the next 5 days as well as all the other post attack aftermath. I may take ativan the following day if needed but usually I try to not take anything following the attack so my brain compensate for whatever I lost this time, more hearing or more balance, more tinnitus or more everything. I spent my first two years of attacks without medication. I'd rather take meds than have my 10 year old daughter have to watch me puke and spin for 8 hours or more.

9. joyoncnrse

joyoncnrse New Member

Niravam ( sublingual Xanax) has been a life saver and given me some control back of my life. It lessens the time and horrible effects of a spin. I would be crazy not to take it when I feel a spin coming on. Paige

10. Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne the sounds of birds stops the noise in my mind

Thank you for this post!!!! It absolutely drives me nuts to hear/read people, who have ZERO experience with a child who has ADD or ADHD, make judgments about whether or not it exists and whether or not to medicate.

As a mother of two children, one who has ADHD, I can tell you there is quite a noticeable difference. They cannot control their actions (if you've ever seen a child with ADHD 'flip out' you can easily tell it's not just a temper tantrum or a typical child response. There is no control whatsoever) and medication CAN help that. No, medicating children should not be taken lightly. But sometimes it is necessary for the child's well being to do so.

11. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I have two nephews who are severally autistic and are not on any medication. Their parents are in denial.

I agree that if a child needs help they should receive all possible means to accommodate. But I also wonder what parents out there (and they are out there) medicate for convenience.

I had 6 brothers and sisters, I was defiantly dyslexic and most likely ADD I still am.

I can also guarantee you that my mother would had doped all of us for some peace and quite.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, nor change the direction of this post.

12. June-

June- New Member

These are just plain hard questions. No easy answers. We make our decisions and live with the consequences.

13. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Intrepid: Thanks for your side of ADD/ADHD...I live with 3 of them....2 being my children, 1 being my husband...(he's the genetic contributor). I thought my children were just normal children...being normal little kids, being busy little bees, moving from one place to the next, doing one thing without completing the first, etc. Although, when it came to school, they had reading and learning disabilities. My children were both under the careful watch of 3 physicians, yes, tracking and logging their behavior, their learning..they'd speak to the teachers, etc.

When my husband and I chose to put the children on medication...it was literally a night and day difference. NO, I am not a parent who wants to put the children on drugs...as a matter of fact, they do not take their meds on the weekend nor in the summer or on breaks from school...this is strictly used to help them focus...and when they are not, they are learning to adjust to normal life.

Now, with that being said, my sister-in-law, feels that her children need this same medication as my children (sister-in-law is husband's sister...feels it runs in family) She thinks its a "Be Good" pill. Quite the contrary! Because her children do NOT need it...the medication actually has the opposite affect that it does for my children. Mine become more attentive, able to consentrate, stay focused on the small stuff. Her kids....BANANAS!!!! And that is such a mild word! At times, I truly believe her son needs to be committed for psychiatric help. He will be in the paper..."Child hurt entire family!"

But, I do agree with others when they have stated that there are too many children on the meds! Most are probably on the meds unneccessarily! And that is a shame! It is so hard to diagnose...and I can honestly say, that I did not want to put my kids on meds...but when I saw the amazing turn around, it is most certainly for them.

Sheryl

14. Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne the sounds of birds stops the noise in my mind

Oh gosh, I totally agree with you. And parents aren't the only culprits. Teachers, doctors, other family members...many of these people are quick to say 'put the kid on medication...it will *cure* his behavior' just because a kid is acting up a bit. It's those people that, in my opinion, give medications to assist in ADD/ADHD a bad rap.

Seadog, I hope I didn't come across too witchy....although I can see that I did and I apologize...it's just been something that we've had to deal with for the last 10 years (and my son is only 12 years old), and be the subject of judgment, especially from our own family members. Some days dealing with ADHD can be even more difficult then dealing with Meniere's.

15. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

Not at all Carrie. I cant imagine dealing with with a severely ADD child and MM. Your are a queen in my book.

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

There are times (last three days) in which I am sick but I have a chance to push my body without hurting myself. I have not taken meds but I could if I chose to. I like to think that I am training my body through some tough times, but let me tell you I take my meds before it gets bad. I try to train my body , yes, but I sometimes it needs help and that is what my med are for.

18. ccabek

ccabek I am still climbing the WALLS!!!

Meds, no doubt. The think positive and live with it, is a great thing for people who have a really high pain, anxiety level.
    But that is not me. I hate taking the lousy things, but I will do it if it helps me. And it does.

19. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I have ADD. Anyone wants to yak about it send a msg.

"I hate taking the lousy things, but I will do it if it helps me. And it does."
    I believe most of us are this way. We would prefer not to take meds, but sometimes we do because they help. People who abuse meds I have no use for. They make it bad for us.

20. lizzy

lizzy Relax and enjoy the view

Hey, I don't have that many years left to go. I don't want to spend them sickly spinning, falling into things and breaking old bones, losing out on family events etc.