Would it be obnoxious to ask.......

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sunrise, Mar 30, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

I have been following the threads on doctors and patient relationships, and I agree with many of your feelings on this. I have a wonderful surgeon in Nashville, but like someone else mentioned, now that I am beyond the healing from it and sort of in a holding pattern, he is often hurried with me, not rude exactly, but seems distracted. He is also a bit over an hour away and car travel is hard on me because my eyes are very reactive to stuff whizzing by the windows.

To get to the point.... there is an ENT in Bowling Green that I know and trust. He is the one that found the second cholesteatoma and sent me to the surgeon in Nashville. I went to see him last week for this problem with my left ear because A. he is close to home, and B. he could get me in 3 weeks earlier than waiting for the Nashville doctor, and C. it wasn't my Meniere's ear

Ok, my question...... would I be out of line to say to Bowling Green Doctor guy..... I have Meniere's, this is what I am taking prescribed by Nashville doctor, would you be comfortable taking over the maintenance care? If I get worse or whatever the surgeon would still be there, ya know? I have had this talk with my MD and she and I have agreed she doesn't do anything when it comes to my ears. It's out of her field and I am thankful she just admits that.

Would it be ok for me to be so frank with the ENT? If he isn't confident with the Meniere's stuff, I'd like to just KNOW that and not waste his time or mine. What do you think?

2. lizzyD

lizzyD New Member

I personally would be quite happy to ask the ENT you trust to take over your care. You must do what you feel is the best for yourself. You say you are more comfortable with the Bowling Green chap, and that counts volumes.

Liz

3. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

We are all ultimately in charge of our own medical care. If the Nashville doc has run out of gas towards helping you, then you need to find someone else anyway - in my opinion. Sounds like the Bowling Green doc may be a possibility. But you have to be frank in your discussions with him. He may be well intended "oh yeah I treat Menieres patients all the time" - but he needs to define to you what his preferred treatment methods are. If you agree, then you have yourself a new doctor. And you have full rights to get copies of your records sent from the Nashville physician. (he may charge you a bit to copy the file) We must drive the bus relative to the care and feeding of our MM disease.

huggs

Melinda

4. June

June New Member

To me it sounds fine and reasonable. You are complimenting the BG ent by asking him. I imagine he would be happy with the arrangement. If it gets over his head he would probably be happy to send you back to Nashville. If he doesn't feel comfortable with MM he probably would tell you. Worst case he gets mad and you are back in Nashville anyway. I don't think he would though.

Would the Nashville dr get mad? Probably not. My oto dictates a letter to my primary every time I go there. He wants her in the loop. He is probably glad to see me less often as I think he is somewhat frustrated and doesn't want to give up on me but at the same time is not real interested either more doing his duty. Maybe that is where your Nashville dr is now, doing his duty and bored?

5. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

I think mainly the Nashville Doctor is a surgeon and follows after the surgery, he diagnosed me and did all kinds of tests before coming to the Meniere's conclusion, but now that it seems the visits are "routine" no new problems, just cleaning out the ear cavity, "have you had vertigo?" yes.... check the hearing, it declines but not as rapidly now.... do you need refills?

I guess I feel like I'm wasting his time after going through the ordeal of riding down there, and the LONG ride home after the ear cleaning which sets off the vertigo badly. When I look him up online the description is "His practice is limited to otology, neurotology, and skull base surgery."

He's never said to me not to come see him anymore. I just don't know that I need that level of care on a continuous basis if there hasn't been any real changes.

6. burd

burd New Member

I agree with everyone else, ask him. You have a number of valid reasons why you would like to transfer care. You don't need to mention the feeling you have that the Nashville doctor seems uncomfortably distracted lately. Focus on the positives when you talk to him, the benefits to you for transferring. Plan your words ahead of time. It's best to pack as much punch as possible in a short span of time while your doctor is still really focused, because even with the patient ones, they retain the conversation best when the main points are driven home in the first couple of minutes.

7. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

what would you tell me if I asked that question? There is your answer. Best wishes.