Would doing aerobics in a Salt water pool, absorb into your system?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Laurie, Dec 1, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Laurie

Laurie New Member

I'm thinking about taking aerobics at my gym, but it's in a salt water pool. I'm worried of the possibility of the salt absorbing into my system, especially when I'm on low salt intake. Can is kind of salt water be dangerous to us?

2. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

Hi Laurie

had the same question myself years ago--read about it and forgot exactly what I found, but the skin can obviously absorb things; however, the particular type of substance and the time of exposure to the "chemical" being absorbed would be factors--my recollection is that you have more to be concerned with by inadvertently swallowing a few sips than you would getting much through the skin

if you're worried, just rinse off afterwards, which I would guess you do anyway

good luck and keep up the aerobics--the gain sure outweighs the risk!

3. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

I'm a big ocean buff, and asked me doctor about this a few years ago. He said don't swallow the water, and don't worry about swimming in it.

4. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I am not sure, but I think the salinity of a typical salt water pool is lower than the salinity in your blood. If this is the case and if salt diffuses through skin, then salt may actually leave your body when you are swimming. Joe

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Got to agree with Joe, living in the Caribbean and surrounded with salt water, I swim often and not yet had a problem .