Worried and need advice!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by vertigo247, Dec 13, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. vertigo247

vertigo247 One cannot think crooked and walk straight.

Hi everyone,

Earlier today I thought I had a piece of plastic or something in my hair b/c every time I turned my head to either side, I heard what sounded like a crackling sound. Well, upon further investigation, I've come to realize that it's coming from inside my head, at the very back of my head, right above my neck. It sounds sort of like a squishing or crackling sound, almost as if there's loose fluid there. I'm kind of freaking out about it! Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? ???

Thanks, Brooke

2. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Are your neck muscles tight? When mine are, I make all kinds of crinkling, crackling noises in my neck up to right behind the ears. As you get older, you start to get it in your joints, everything starts cracking and snapping.

3. carolanne

carolanne Lily

Brooke, I have the same thing, have had it for a long time. I do not know what it is.

Carol

4. burd

burd New Member

I've had noise on turning my head for a long time. Not a fluid squishy thing, but the crackly thing. Before and after chiro appointments. As long as my head and neck turns freely I don't pay it any attention. Have you had a chiropractic adjustment?

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

darling - don't despair several others seem to have the same issues - i do as well

6. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi vertigo247

I was reading Lee's book last night and I could swear she described just that symptom--unfortunately I can't find the page now. Maybe someone else who's read the book will come along and tell us.

7. barcl003

barcl003 Guest

I crack all the time! Heidi

8. vertigo247

Thanks so much everyone! It's always scarey to get a new symptom, so I appreciate you all putting me at ease.

Oaktree8, I just sent a copy of Lee's book to my parents for Christmas, so after they open it, maybe I'll have them look that part up for me LOL. :)

Brooke

9. MedievalWriter

MedievalWriter Ryan's Rose Pvt Ryan Winslow KIA Iraq 4-2006

My neck crackles like cellophane every time I turn my head.

Nothing else has ever happened like pain or stiffness, so I haven't worried about it.

Hope yours is ok too.

10. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Good luck Brooke. Lisa

11. telly

telly New Member

hi, :)

most joints contain something called synovial fluid which is there to help the joints move smoothly and prevent bone rubbing against bone, the creeking/cracking/clicking noise is called crepatus (i think thats how its spelt) which can be caused by microscopic debris and such like in this fluid. my knees and fingers crack, perhaps its more noticeable and a different sound in the neck because the sound is almost being directly vibrated and sent through the head unlike from somewhere else in the body and therefore can be heard differently. if you put an ear to another joint, wrist or knee if your flexible enough and move it you will probably hear a faint creak.

as long as there is no discomfort or pain and no locking it should be harmless enough. maybe because we hold our heads so much more still to help with balance and dizziness and therefore use the joints and muscles in a different way to the 'norm' it becomes more profound and prehaps a symptom of mm.

this is just my guess, i'm not a physio or a chiropractor, i'm studying sports massage but that in no way makes me an expert in such things, far from it, so i wont be offended if you dont agree :)

telly
    xxxxx

12. Daize

Daize New Member

Hi Brooke,

I get that crackling feeling too ::) especially when I get up in the morning, joints all over the same thing, I agree with all here.

I don't go to chirop. I told my mom and Dad about this happening, they asked how long and I told them a couple of years now, they both said to me "welcome to our world" LOL, they were supportive, but, also humorous, getting older is so much fun!! ya right :p :D

Take care and have a good day

Ruth :-*

13. vertigo247

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am better today, so that's good. :)
    You make some good points, Telly, so thanks!
    I appreciate all the replies everyone. :)

14. ajparker

ajparker New Member

I'm glad you're feeling better today.... I have a question though - I've seen a couple reference's to "Lee's Book" and can't seem to find a direct link - title/etc.... So, what is "Lee's Book"?

Thanks,

Avery

15. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Avery you can find her book here: www.discoveringbodylogic.com

16. ajparker

ajparker New Member

Ah - thanks.

Avery

17. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi tumbleweed

I found that reference in Discovering Body Logic by Lee Mickle for you--

it's when she talks about recommended exercises, and it's on page 151. "If you hear crackling sounds (when turning your neck) or feel more restriction on one side than the other, this confirms muscle tension."

Hope it helps

18. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

I have that also and a trip to the chiropractor to adjust my atlas bone, takes care of it. Good Luck, twinkle.

19. vertigo247

Thanks again to everyone who has replied! The crackling sensation is still there, but it does seem to be better, or I'm just getting used to it, who knows. It really helped me to have your support since I was a little scared by it at first. Thanks again, friends! :)

Brooke

20. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

Sounds like you may have broken a Q-tip off in your ear and its rolling around in there :D jk but i had too...hope ya get better tho