Wild Rice and Walnut Bake

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by saltlesstears, Dec 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Here is a good recipe from the Worlds Healthiest foods website. A wonderful site for healthy recipes and you just can leave the salt out (most are pretty low sodium anyway. www.worldshealthiestfoods.com I subscribe (free) to this great weekly e-letter-Yvonne

Wild Rice and Walnut bake
    Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes, baking time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
    ½ cup wild rice
    1 cup long grain brown rice
    1 med onion, chopped
    ¾ cup diced celery, about ¼ inch pieces
    2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
    1 med green apple, diced about ¼ inch pieces
    4 med cloves garlic, minced
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
    ½ cup raisins
    ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 TBS chopped fresh sage
    3 TBS chopped fresh thyme
    ½ TBS fennel seeds
    ¾ cup + 1 TBS chicken broth (use low sodium chicken broth here)
    2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
    salt and black pepper to taste (you can just leave out the salt!)

Directions:

Bring 3½ cups of lightly salted water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil rinse the wild rice under running water in a strainer. When water is boiling add both wild and brown rice, cover, turn heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook. You will most likely have excess water when rice is cooked properly. Put cooked rice in a strainer and drain out excess water. Set aside in a bowl large enough to mix everything together.

Heat 1 TBS chicken broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.

Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place stuffing in an 8 inch square baking dish and bake covered for about 1 hour. Drizzle with olive oil and mix with a fork keeping it fluffy.
    Serves 6

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Yvonne, This sounds super. I will give it a try, for sure. Thanks for posting. Joe

PS Here is a wild rice recipe that I have been using with a lot of modifications. Yours sounds better but I thought you would like to compare.

Rice Brown and Wild

½ cup brown rice
    ½ cup long grain wild rice
    ½ cup currants
    ½ cup cranberries
    ½ cup toasted pine nuts
    1/8 cup oil
    1 tbsp orange juice
    rind of 1/2 orange, grated
    170 gram parmesan cheese, grated

1. Cook rice and wild rice separately. When cooked mix together.

2. Mix dried fruit and add to rice and . Add oil, orange juice, grated orange rind, and parmesan cheese to mixture.

3. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 – 30 minutes.

3. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Thanks Joe! I love the sound of your recipe and will try that one for sure now too as I love cooking with pinenuts and cranberries and also using fruit juices in savory dishes. And wild rice.....I LOVE it any way......FYI for anyone living near a Trader Joe's you can get Canadian Wild rice for $3.99 a POUND.
    (It is normally about $10 or $11 a pound) I also like to use the brown basmati rice to mix in with it or brown Jasmine for another great flavor.

4. Wobbles

Yes, I know you love those pinenuts. That's why I thoiught that you might like giving it a try. When I do the recipe, I often saute onions and garlic in pan and cook rice in same pan, usually with stock.

Yes, I have basmatti brown rice in addition to my everyday brown.

I have two questions about your recipe

I assume the author is trying to reduce all oil by "sauteing" onion and garlic in 1 tbs of stock. Since I do not have any problems with too much oil in my diet, I would probably stick to my sauteing in oil, probably until golden in color.

Is this point at which I would add the 3/4 cup of low sodium chicken broth?

Thanks,

Joe

5. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Yes, I think 'Heallthy sauteeing' has two meanings. One is to only use broth but I like you use oil. I just use whatever amount I want and when things start to stick...that is when I add a tablespoon of broth......one tablespoon at a time. It reduces nicely and has the 'feeling' of being sauteed without all the extra oil that would accumulate.

Yes you can add broth at this time....Of course omit salt. I just copied recipe as it was!

6. Wobbles

Yvonne,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I will make recipe tonight.

When I sauté onions and garlic in oil, I use a no stick, anodized pan. I start with high temperature and use 1 to 2 tbs of oil, depending on quantity of onions. I keep temperature high and frequently stir until most of moisture is out of onions. At this point I reduce heat. A while later I may add seeds (mustard, cumin, fennel …) that benefit from heat. About 10 - 15 minutes from end of sautéing, I will add garlic. This way garlic will be nicely browned when onions are also done. After all the years of cooking, I’ve finally got the timing down. At the end of cooking cycle, I then add more spices and whatever is next item in cooking process. The whole thing takes 20 – 40 minutes, depending on how much caramelization I want. Of course, I shorten process for those dishes that say “sauté until soft”, i.e. Italian sauces.

Happy cooking.

7. petey

petey New Member

Wow, i make a rice dish almost identical to the one in the opening thread.

1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup wild rice
    1/4 cup lentils
    1/2 cup finely minced celery
    1 - 15 oz can of mushrooms
    5 cups of chicken broth
    two teaspoons of garlic powder

Cook lentils and celery separate from rice as the cooking times differ. I first cook the lentils and celery together in a small saucepan then reserve the liquid for the rice for added flavor and top off with chicken broth to make a total of 5 cups of liquid. At the end i mix everything together including the can of mushrooms.

8. Wobbles

Hi Yvonne,

I cooked this dish last night and it was every bit as good as I imagined. I made a few modifications, which I hope you will approve. First, I made only half a batch as I did not want too many leftovers. Second, I cooked rices in a weak chicken broth instead of water. Also, I cut down on the fennel seeds. 1 ½ teaspoons for the whole recipe seemed like a lot. (Was this an error in recipe?) I used a heaping ¼ teaspoon for my half batch. Fennel taste came through quite well. Next time I may try a little more but not much more.

Thanks for posting recipe. It is a real winner. Fit for guests!

Joe

9. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Joe- That recipe is from the George Mateljan 'Worlds Healthiest Foods' website www.worldshealthiestfoods.com I too always change things around and use the recipes rather loosely. They are all very good and healthy and often put different foods together that one would not be planning to do at that moment!

Petey-Thanks for posting your recipe too. As I love brown rice and wild rice I would love to get as many ideas as possible. I may try your recipe using red lentils and throwing in some Indian spices. (I really like the red lentils!)

10. Wobbles

Thanks for that link, Yvonne.

Here is a Red Lentil Dal that I often make. It is soooo good. I bet yuou will like it. I also have a red lentil soup somewhere in my files. If I find it, I will post for you.

Joe

Red Lentil Dal

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    2½ cups (10 ounces, about 1 medium) finely diced sweet potato
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Thai or bird's-eye red chili
    1 cup red lentils
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
    Salt
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    Pieces of coconut flesh from a fresh coconut (optional).

1. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil, and sauté onion until softened. Add sweet potato, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add minced ginger and garlic; stir, and reduce heat to low.

2. Finely dice chili, keeping seeds if you wish to add more heat. Add chili, lentils, coriander, cumin, turmeric and ground ginger to pan. Stir until lentils are well coated with oil. Add tomatoes and 4 cups water. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat until mixture is at a fast simmer. Cook uncovered until lentils and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.

3. Season to taste with salt, and continue to simmer until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk dal to amalgamate lentils and sweet potatoes. If dal is too soupy, increase heat and cook for a little longer.

4. To serve, place dal in a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. If desired, shave thin strips of fresh coconut on top. Serve hot.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

11. Wobbles

Tibetan Lentil Soup

Serves 8

Ingredients:

2 medium onions
    2 cloves garlic
    1 jalapeno pepper
    1 carrot
    1 potato
    1 tsp. low sodium veggie stock powder
    1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups lentils (red)
    14 oz. can of whole tomatoes
    1/4 cups chopped fresh ciltrano

Dice the onions, mince the garlic and jalapeno peppers. Discard the pepper seeds. (Be very careful not to touch your face after handling the jalapenos.) Sauté in olive oil in large soup pan. Peel and dice the carrots and potatoes. Add to the onions. Add spices. Cook for a few minutes

Wash the lentils well. Add to the soup with 6 cups of water. Simmer 30 minutes until vegetables are done.

Chop the tomatoes and add to the soup with the juice and chopped ciltrano.

12. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Thank You Joe for these 'Lovely Lentil' ideas. I think I will just throw in some shredded coconut in lieu of the coconut flesh.
    [size=10pt][size=10pt]RED LENTILS RULE![/size][/size]