Why do people say this....!!???

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dizzyshaney, Oct 8, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzyshaney

dizzyshaney New Member

When I explain to people how I feel when I have vertigo I usually say it's similar to the sensation you get when you are in bed drunk and the room is spinning and the nausea/being sick. They always say 'that must be cool!' errrrr...why?? anyone else had this said to them?? Even my husband says it and he has seen how bad I can be!! ??? ::)

2. Trish

Trish Guest

Yes.
    When you are in bed drunk ( I'm only assuming here, I've never been drunk... ;D )..you know that the spinning, nausea etc will be short lived....when you sober up you can forget it....until you choose to get drunk again...you're in charge..you choose when to get that '' cool '' sensation.

Not so with Menieres.. :(..not knowing when the vertigo will hit makes all the difference.
    Nothing cool about Menieres. Ignore the comments people make... :)

3. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

I get all the time, mainly from the younger crowd. Tehy just don't get it, that is why we have to make this a national campaign of awareness!

Danny

4. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

These people that say this have control over how much they want the room to spin and how much they want to barf, by the amount of grog they consume. Unfortunately for us we have absolutely no control whatsoever and that can be frightening.

Ignore these types of comments - these people have no idea at all.

5. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Also have had people say, "Oh I was dizzy last year and I understand exactly how you feel." They don't get it at all that this is a "forever" thing. I mean I had been dizzy before I got MM too--but it was nothing to compare to this. As best as possible we have to just chalk it up to ignorance on their part. It isn't easy to do at times though.

Willie Marie

6. Anubis

Anubis Take a walk on the Wild Side

Don't ya just want to smack these people out? I know I do! Like the morons who think its hysterical to shout "What" when you explain you have a hearing problem...... :mad:

7. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Dizzyshaney-

Then just tell them, imagine getting this sensation right in the middle of the store with everyone around them watching and not doing anything fun to even get that feeling..... Then say imagine not ever knowing when that feeling will start or how long it will last........Tell them that is the party you are "enjoying" and enjoying it, you are not.
    Truly it is SO hard for anyone to understand this unless they have walked in the shoes of someone having Menieres.

Hang in there!
    Dianna

8. Leon

Leon New Member

Dizzyshaney,
    Dianna said it better than I can.
    For the record, I've been drunk and hate the spinning, nausea and vomiting no matter what causes it. I hope you feel better fast.
    Leon

9. SMC

SMC Look for the footprints in the sand......

The one I really HATE to hear is " People pay good money to feel like that and you get it for free!" I can not imagine anyone wanting to be this way not even for a little while. All I can say is there are stupid people everywhere. <smile>
    Hope you feel better soon.
    SherryC

10. pardonme

pardonme Guest

11. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

I tell people it is like your worst drunk times 30 paired up with your worst flu times 30. Dr. Burcon who posted on here a few times once said, "Vertigo is to dizziness what migraines are to headaches"; that helps others understand a little better.

Best of luck. Like Pardonme says... whatever.

SpinininOhio

12. msdizzy

msdizzy New Member

I hear stupid comments all the time too. Seems like most people step into the stupid zone when they don't understand, and don't know what to say to you. One day, maybe our disease will be a focus on talk shows and the like. So that there would be a public awearness of Meniere's. But right now, most people have not even heard the name Meniere's. :-\ Hang in there.....msdizzy

13. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

The people that say that have NO idea, do they???

Maggie

14. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Cause they are JERKS :mad: (I could use a a better term but don't want to shock you :eek:)

Maybe getting hold a Tucker's DVD will help you "show" them what it is like

Maggie (I gotta stop following 2damndizzy ;D, another Maggie :D)

15. cdedie

cdedie Designed by DizzyNBlue

My husband keeps telling me that people will pay big bucks to feel like this. I keep telling him THEY ARE STUPID!!!!!!!! Yes of course for them it will go away. They really just don't get it. I just ignore that kind of talk anymore~