When nobody knows what's wrong with you!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Coach M, May 4, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. randy986

randy986 New Member

My doc did'nt even want me to take anything for a while. Basically told me this was going to run its course and to see her again if it was too much to handle. Otherwise come back in a few months and they would see where I am at.
    2nd cup of coffee was a mistake so things may be returning to normal a bit.

2. Angelea

Angelea New Member

That sounds like B.S. to me! Of course it could be from the MM since after all those many months of vertigo your vestibular system is almost certainly damaged. Not to mention the vestibular migraines... Is this guy an ENT or OTO? The neurologist should have some insight into what is migraine and what is not. Take care...

3. joy

joy New Member

In my opinion, what you said here is the beginning to feeling better: You're examining little details & making adjustments & seeing what happens when you do. Doing an "extreme" food elimination test would be a good thing to try - again just my opinion. When I first started having migraine symptoms, I wanted to feel better but I didn't just want to cover up the symptoms, I wanted to find out WHY I was having them - with the goal being to eliminate the source & eliminate the need for drugs. Sometimes that's possible & sometimes it's not ... but it's always worth a try.

Make a good thorough list of what's going on - include everything you're taking & everything you're trying & everything you've already tried - show that to your doctor & expect him to read it(!). You gotta work WITH him, be proactive in this type of situation to actually get results.

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

It is important to remember that ad many as 50% of people with mm also suffer from migraines.

5. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

coach,
    i have recently read "heal your headache" by david bulcholz. i also suffer from migrane and slight nausea, even though i have had gent similar to your case.
    reading the book was like reading my health life history. very interesting stuff.
    he mentions people who take a regular amount of painkillers and benzos will without doubt suffer from "rebound", this is when the meds will make you worse instead of better.
    i noticed you take 3 tylenol daily. that could be the culprit. i am going to cut out all meds next week ( even though i take very little, only vms's joh ), and i am going to try the reccommended low thyramine diet that the author reccommends.
    worth a shot. i would highly reccommend the book, as does jaypr and burd.
    i will keep you posted on how i get on.....

6. joy

joy New Member

Also consider that once you stop this or that, you may have side effects from NOT taking them for a day or two - the 'detox' thang - so we're talking about self-testing that could take a while (not just a day or two). That gets tedious when you feel lousy every single day & just want relief.

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Coach:

I would have a long talk with my oto,
    I would take leave from my job and see if things settle down a bit, you live a very stressful life being a teacher, coach, ect.... Mm and stress could be a recipe for disaster. As the other ear is now causing disturbances.

Just my 2 cents---- you know I think of you every day, be good.

8. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I wish I could take a leave from my job. Unfortunately, monetarily speaking its impossible. My wife works part time and our bills kick my ass every month. In addition to that, with football, this time of year is second only to the season. There is literally something going on every day. So the only long term relief for me (If I continue to feel this way) would be to hand off the HC duties after this next season. If I walked right now I would destroy the program, stop any progress we have made in its tracks. So that just won't happen.

I have to get a handle on this. Its not that bad compared to most of our friends here, and when I read the blurb about Alan Sheppard and how he suffered and struggled with this for quite a while, I could relate. Hopefully the MD helps me out. We'll see.

M

9. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

I don't understand why you think it is immune related?

10. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I just think that might be one possible avenue to explore. I don't have a particular reason.

11. Coach M

Coach M New Member

You are absolutely right about that (I have "waiting for the other shoe to drop syndrome.")

However, that is my own personal hell, I never share that with my players, coaches, wife, kids, anyone. Just the people here.

And I am trying to enjoy life as much as possible, its just tough when you have many people depending on you to perform at a high level and you feel rotten. I am just trying to find some relief from that.

Gracias Intrepid.

12. Angelea

Angelea New Member

For all of us, we are at high risk for developing depression, as well, which has real, physical symptoms. It is not a weakness or a cop out. We are all going through, or have gone through, a major life-altering process, the stress of which can cause real physical (hormonal/chemical) changes. Sometimes counseling alone is enough to bring these back in balance, but it might also require the help of antidepressants to break the cycle.

I have yet to pursue counseling, but often think it would be helpful in reducing my stress level, as well as that of my husband and kids because of my moodiness and impatience at times. Seriously considering it...

Just food for thought when all other physical causes of subtle symptoms don't lead to a firm diagnosis. One more avenue to explore.

13. Coach M

Coach M New Member

I have thought about counseling quite a bit. Might go that route eventually.

14. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

It can really help,for me it was great to see and talk to someone.Was lucky in that the psychologist I saw worked at the balance clinic and all he saw were people who had ear problems.
    Lot's of shortcuts in talking to him as he got it.

But talking to a professional can work wonders if you are under lots of pressure.

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I too am a big fan of counseling an if needed bring a husband/spouse along, because this effects them as well. All their dreams, expectations and desires have been effected an turned upside down.

Mm is just as much a mental disease as physical. The physical won't kill us, but the me tal aspect will destroy you if you let it.

I was talking to someone about what some people endure in life and one great example is Stephen Hawking, maybe the greatest mind ever to live. The man cannot move a single bone in his body, he only connection to te world is by moving his eye lids to communicate.

Do what you have to do to take away the worst symptom, which is vertigo and eventually you will adapt and find your peace and contentment in life.

Coach: you may have to change careers to accomadate your disability, but that is not a failure, it is an opportunity to reinvent yourself.

16. Coach M

Coach M New Member

Thanks for the advice, but I don't plan on changing careers. Not happening. The most relaxing times of my life are at practice or games, teaching the game, enjoying the camraderie. My teaching job is 10x more stressful. And dealing with teachers is just as bad. I hope to someday coach at a level that doesnt require teaching, but that is down the road.

17. Coach M

Coach M New Member

Definitely plan on looking into this.

18. kdburger

kdburger New Member

I too have been having pain in my right ear (left is MM) It comes and goes....I am hoping its my allergies. However, my MM ear used to act like this years ago....I took allergy meds and decongestants and it really helped....but this time I am not having any luck...thinking its an ear infection. If it doesnt get better soon, I am going to see my ENT.

19. Go Gonzaga

Go Gonzaga 2 1/2 years into this and ready to feel better!

Coach........I am going to beat this one into you until you listen ;D

What you are currently describing (in terms of 24/7) issues,headaches, illness, multiples body sensations sounds so much like MAV that I am not going to back off of it. ;)

Again I am going to ask you the question:

What is the harm in trying a calcium channel blocker, beta blocker, etc........altering your diet, etc. and eventually titrating up to a therapeutic treatment level and seeing what happens?

There are no negatives to this at all.

I guess I am having a hard time understand why you are not starting the ball rolling in terms of at least beginning this while you explore other avenues that may be afflicting you.

Not trying to sound like an ass here......but you really need to take your medical issues into your own hands and not rely on the physicians as much. I think you have learned as much as anyone on this board to know that :)

Why wait? Start now......begin titrating up to a therapeutic level, alter your diet to meet the migraine specifications and see what the hell happens. You got nothing to lose bud.

Todd

20. jaypr

jaypr New Member

Hi Coach

You have stated within this thread that you tried the food thing to no avail and later say that you feel much better by skipping the coffee that day.

I dont think anyone can say they have tried the food thing until they have done it properly. If I were you I would start from scratch. Its boring and difficult but at least you would definately know. Whats a month or two out of your lifetime in order to find out. It may well not be food but I recall that you were particularily bad after a coaches convention recently when you ate and drank probably alot of things that would normally be considered as likely triggers.

I started with certain fresh fruit, certain fresh veg, white meat and fish and no added sauces, water,decaf tea and gradually adding in other foods and drinks on a trial and error basis. Its worked very well for me. Not saying it will definately work for you, but how will you ever know otherwise.

Best of luck

Frank