What's Cooking Today???

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Pluto, Dec 31, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. StarValley

StarValley New Member

Found a recipe in Cooking Light for Beef Brisket cooked in beer. Sodium value is 232 and calorie is 160. You brown the brisket in a heavy skillet. Then add 1/4 cup water and scrape the pan drippings off the side. Add some sliced onions and parsnips. (I used carrots) Place the brisket, the liquid from the pan, some balsamic vinegar and a bay leaf in a crockpot. Then pour a 12 oz. can of beer over the whole thing. Cook on low for 8 hours. You slice the brisket diagonally. It was pretty good.

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Starvalley, that sounds nice and easy while being pretty tasty.

Tonight I have homemade chilli con carne (ground buffalo), brown basmati, vegetables, and no dessert.

Joe

3. Wobbles

Last night's meal was delicious. Tonight I am going to have baked fish and roasted root vegetables. No dessert.

4. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Today was our Seniors Luncheon at church. DANG - those church ladies (and men) sure know how to cook!!! We had the best potluck of homemade chicken noodle soup, fried chicken, enchiladas, scalloped potatoes, teriyaki beef, eggplant casserole, green bean casserole, ham casserole, green salad, fruit salad, broccoli salad, more I can't remember - plus a room full of desserts - many of them homemade!!! And we do this every month!!!

There's always more than we can eat...takeout containers are available for shut-ins, and those who would like to take some for dinner....DH and I actually qualify to be "Seniors" but since we're the youngest ones there, we volunteer to serve and clean up.

Today we invited some friends of ours from the mountains. They're in their late 80's, and have just moved in to town - to a assisted-living apartment - to be closer to medical facilities. They eat in a beautiful dining room with the other residents, but like our friend said, it's not a HOME COOKED meal.

They were so thrilled to be there with us, and truly warmed by the meal as well as the friendship. Isn't it amazing what food has the power to do? And how it can bring us closer together?

I always enjoy hearing what folks here are cooking for their meals.. I feel like I get a small glimpse into their kitchens!

xoxoxo
    deercharmer

5. Wobbles

Gosh, deercharmer, I wish I could have gone to your senior’s potluck at church. The food sounded wonderful as did the people who attended. What better combination is there than good food and good folk?

Yesterday’s meal plan went all amok for me. We had a terrifically bad storm pass into my area (west coast, BC). Winds were over 100 km/hr, probably up around 120 km/hr (75 mph). We lost power and when it returned, it was not steady. I decided to go ahead with roasted vegetables and dropped the fish course. I had scrambled eggs to cover my protein requirements. It was a meager meal but still gratifyingly enjoyed. Sometimes the best food is the spur of the moment fare.

Tonight, I will have baked fish, rice/bulgur pilaf, and vegetables. No dessert.

Joe

6. deercharmer1

Joe - the next Seniors Luncheon is February 13th. How early do we need to leave California to come pick you up and get back for lunch? (We start serving at noon..)

Seriously, we would LOVE to bring you with us....if only we were closer..... :-[

Your rice/bulgur pilaf sounds delicious - how do you make it?

xoxoxoxo
    deercharmer

7. Wobbles

Yes, I wish you were closer and could whisk me away from all the cold and wind that’s been hitting my area.

I have to admit that my rice/bulgur pilaf is a dish that I concocted. I can give you the broad outline and you can take it from there. This is a one pot cooking effort.

Onion, chopped or sliced
    Garlic, minced
    Spices
    Oil
    Dried fruit, nuts (optional)
    Garnish (optional. I use parsley or cilantro.)
    ½ cup long grain brown rice
    ½ cup bulgur (avoid “instant type”.)
    2 cups stock (I usually use weak stock, depending on spices)

1. Sauté onions and garlic in oil. I usually start with onions on temperature and add garlic towards end. I may sauté as long as 30 minutes to get flavor that I want.

2. Add spices. If I am using spices that like to get toasted (cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek, …), I put them in early. I always have a theme to spicing. Very often it is East Indian. Sometimes it is Italian or Mexican. Other times I think of a particular food, say chicken, and then spice for that.

3. Add rice and stir fry for a minute. The idea is to coat rice with oil and spices.

4. Add stock to pot. Bring to boil; turn heat down, put lid on pot and simmer gently for 30 minutes.

5. Add bulgur and simmer for another 20 minutes.

6. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add optional nuts and fruits. Fluff, garnish, and serve.

Serves 4. I freeze extra.

8. deercharmer1

YUM! Thanks, Joe...I saw bulgur in bulk at Whole Foods today - will pick some up on my next trip there!

9. Wobbles

Singapore-Style South-Indian Chicken Curry, whole grain basmati rice, vegetables, no dessert.

10. Wobbles

Last night’s curry was super good. I sautéed shallots, garlic, ginger, and dried hot chili peppers. Then I added water, tomatoes, and spices. Cooked for 4 minutes and then added chicken and more water. I simmered for 30 minutes, and then added more ginger and garlic and coconut milk. A final addition of lemon juice and sugar. Excellent flavors.

Tonight I make couscous with leftover chicken broth, reheat leftover fish stew, and microwave vegetables. No dessert.

It looks like this thread is unwinding.

Joe

11. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Oh no, I enjoy reading your recipes/meals Joe.
    In all honesty, I'm more of a meat and potatoes guy. For instance at this moment I have a crockpot going filled with chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, vegetables and potatoes. A good soup for a cold snowy day.
    But seeing what you and others fix is very interesting reading.
    Everyone join in!
    :)

12. deercharmer1

Is sodium not a trigger for you, then? I've shied away from canned soups since I went lo-so....too bad, since all the good potluck recipes I have call for cream of whatever soup and a big slug of mayo!!! ;D

BTW, your dinner sounds yummy!!!!

13. Pluto

Pluto New Member

deercharmer, no, I don't believe sodium is a trigger for me. But through all this I have cut back a lot on it. Cut out the junk, eat a lot more sensibly, smaller portions. And I feel better for it!

14. Wobbles

Breakfast: Cooked cereal, yogurt, prunes, OJ

Lunch: two slices of homemade whole wheat bread, PB and homemade jam, half grapefruit

PM snack: banana

Dinner: sir fry with 1 cup of leftover brown basmati rice, vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, bok choy, celery, and onion), 115 grams of tempeh marinated in ginger, garlic, honey, vinegar, and soy sauce.

No dessert.

If you add tea and 1 ½ cups of milk, you have everything that I ate today. My sodium came from

Dairy: 230 mg
    Soy Sauce: 180 mg
    Bread: 120 mg
    Rice dish: 250 mg (made with diluted chicken broth)
    Vegetables and fruit: 200 mg (guesstimate)
    Odds and Ends: 100 mg

Total: 1100 grams

15. Mongo59r

Mongo59r New Member

Some of the best Chili you've ever had ;) ;) ;) Which seemed like a good idea with 6-8" of snow predicted. I like to finish the chili with a splash of Grand Mariner about 10 minutes before it's done

16. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

Everything and anything to use a big package of hamburger meat.

Homemade meatloaf for tonights dinner

Baked hamburger patties basted in a cream soup for lunch tomorrow (to be reheated)

and Finally

Meatballs to go in spaghetti for tomorrow nights dinner

(I have very little that I have to cook tomorrow!!)

17. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Today Breakfast: Oj, cranberry juice, oatmeal and strawberries.

Snack time - Banana and couple of mint patties (the little ones)

Late afternoon dinner: Tuna Noodle Casserole and asparagas and several mint patties and a gumdrop.

Snack time again - Ritz crackers and salsa dip

Later - yogurt and another mint patty

18. deercharmer1

Breakfast: Steel-cut oatmeal (took forever :mad:)

Lunch: Chicken-and-pasta salad

Dinner: Marinated BBQd salmon, grilled red potatoes, steamed broccoli, sauteed mushrooms

Not fessing up to ANY snacks here!!! :D :D :D If I don't admit it, it didn't happen!!!!

19. Wobbles

Breakfast: Long cooking oatmeal (20 minutes), yogurt, raisins, OJ

Mid morning: made granola for future use, nibbled some

Lunch: PB sandwich, pineapple

Dinner: Leftover fish stew, salad, vegetables

I dunno my sodium count for the day but I'm sure it is below 1250 mg.

Joe

20. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Today - Breakfast the same as always - it is exactly the same every day.

Banana

leftover chicken enchilada and re fried beans
    3 chocolate brownies and the rest of the bag of peppermint patties ;D ;D ;D LOL Now that the peppermint patties are gone - I will have to fine something more interesting to eat. LOL

Hey, I tried Kirkland's brand of yogurt (Costco's brand) because they didn't have the usual Yoplait and it tastes just as good as Yoplait - in fact someone that works there told me that they think they are the ones who make it and Kirkland's brand gets put on it.

I also enjoy pomegranate juice mixed with some 7 up - that seems to taste not too bad.

Do you think all the good stuff I eat and the stuff loaded with antioxidants will counter the effect of the peppermint patties. ??? ??? ;)