What you worried about

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by GreatfulTed, Oct 8, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

Hey Everyone
    First let me say that I am not trying to take the place of Rev Bill. I can tell my reading the posts that he is a very loved man here, so I am no way trying to take over his spot, just trying to fill in some of the gaps.

This statement was quoted from a post from a week or so ago and I just could not shake it.
    “It was great because some of us couldn't go to church because of health issues”.
    How many of us have missed out on things because of MM? I wish that I could fix everyone’s problems and make the hurt and pains go away, as much as I would like to make it happen I just cannot do that.
    What I can do is give the ones that are interested a chance that they may not have the opportunity to receive otherwise.

Everyone is welcome to read. I will respectfully request that non-believers not to participate so we could have some form of "church" without getting into all kinds of back & forth issues. In previous threads I have said, this forum is not the place for a religious debate. We all have seen how these posts grow and get way off topic. So please let those who are interested read and discuss the topic without it getting into a full blown debate. My hope is that this will give some comfort to someone out there who needs it. Not trying to thump my Bible or come off as “mightier than thou”, I just want to help those that struggle with MM the same way that I do. Give them a little peace of mind and A little peace of heart. Help, ever how small it is, in any way I can

If you feel the need to make a comment or reply please keep your comments about yourself and not others. Here again these threads get a mind of their own some time and that is most definitely not the goal of this. It is not my intention to get into one of these back and forth, he said she said threads.

The goal is to give those that struggle with MM or struggle with whatever and cannot get out a chance to have some form of worship/study that they might not otherwise have.

I will post this one lesson and we will see what comes of it. These are some thoughts from our pastor’s sermon on last Sunday morning.

How many of us are worriers? Worry about everything? I tend to worry about things. Have you all ever heard the term worry wart. I have always heard that every time you worry a wart would pop up on you somewhere. Now if that were true I would probably have more than my share of warts and be uglier than I already am. I can tell you in the ugly department I do not need to be going in the uglier direction. I am pretty much at the bottom looking up.

Jesus had something to say for those of us who worry.
    Matthew 6:31-34 - Do Not Be Anxious
    31Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
    34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

I would say that in our struggles with the beast that we have all struggled and worried with some of the things mentioned above in one way or another. We may not worry about eating or drinking but how many of us have worried about our jobs that provide us the money that allows us to buy the things that we have.
    The next question that I have for you is what did that worry get you.

When have you ever had a problem that worrying about it solved that problem and made it go away. Worrying never solved a problem, never dried a tear, never lifted a burden, never removed an obstacle. It never made bad things good, or good things better.

Worry simply pulls tomorrow's cloud over today's sunshine. It does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It only empties today of its strength.

It has been said that worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.

You see, there are basically two things that we should never worry about. You should never worry about those things that you can change, and you should never worry about those things that you can't change.

Take things that you can change. Why worry about something you can change, just change it.
    We have a tendency to get lazy and would rather complain about it than change it.
    Now take those things that you cannot change. If you cannot change them, why worry about them.

For every evil under the sun
    Either there is a cure or there is none.
    If there be one, seek till you find it;
    If there be none, never mind it.

A University of Michigan study determined that 60% of our worries are unwarranted; 20% have already become past activities and are completely out of our control; 10 are so petty that they don't make any difference at all. Of the remaining 10% only 4 to 5% are real and justifiable, and of those we can't do anything about half of them. So only 2% of our worries are real.

To put it another way, 98% of all of your worries are absolutely fruitless. That is why worry is wasting today's time to clutter up tomorrow's opportunities with yesterday's troubles.

Mark Twain once said, "I am an old man and have known many troubles, but most of them never happened." You just think back right now and look back over your past life, and you will honestly find that most of the things you lost sleep over, fretted over, paced the floor over, worried over, either never happened or turned out alright.

When you worry about a situation you are telling God you do not believe Him. How can you believe in God, but not believe God.

When you worry you are saying one of two things: You are either saying, "I do not believe God can handle this." Or, you are saying, "I believe God can handle it, but won't." Now in the first instance, you question the competence of God. In the second instance, you question the character of God.

Now the solution to worry is found in a familiar three-word motto, "First things first." This is exactly what Jesus said in Matt. 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." This is God's word for worry, God's answer for the anxious.

I can tell you something about your relationship to God at this very moment without even knowing you. I do not know how much of God you have, but you have all of God that you want.
    I heard about a man and his wife who had been married for fifty years, driving down the road in his pickup truck. He was sitting behind the steering wheel. She was sitting on the passenger's side. She looked over at him and said, "You know, when we first started dating we used to sit right next to each other." He looked at her and said, "Well, I ain't the one that moved." If you are not close to God today, He is not the one that moved.

Jesus is teaching us a lesson from nature. The lesson is this: If God takes care of the birds in the air, and the flowers in the field, don't you think He will take care of you? Ralph Waldo Emerson, the great poet, said, "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen."
    Said the robin to the sparrow:
    "I should really like to know
    Why these anxious human beings
    Rush around and worry so."
    Said the sparrow to the robin:
    "I think surely it must be
    That they have no Heavenly Father
    Such as cares for you and me."

34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

The angels say
    Never borrow from the future.
    If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn’t happen you have worried in vain
    Even if it does happen you have to worry twice.

Hope this puts a little sunshine in your day.

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

amazing and thank you

Years ago - I wrorried. I've learned over the years that God is in charge and that I have enough on my plate for today. I also learned as you stated , many of our worries don't come to pass...sometimes I find myself worrying but I try and remember God's promises.

When my son was in Afghanistan; I did worry - several times it brought me to my knees in prayers. I senses in my heart that my beloved son would be shot and killed...I couldn't shake this feeling...I had peace but heartache...two weeks after the last - prayers on the knees - my oldest beautiful daughter informed my younger daughter (beautiful) (thru phone) who was with me that she had gotten the phone call from the army and my son ...that he had been shot numerous times...but he had a flak vest on and the two bullets that struck his chest were protected from entering his skin due to his vest...he is back in the usa for gunshot wounds to his arm - but he is alive and I know that Jesus heard and answered a poor mother's prayer to spare her son....

thank you for this....

3. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I would love for God to cure me of my MM, but I always pray and ask him to take care of all those who are starving and dying in 3rd world countries or all the kids in the cancer wing at our hospitals - FIRST.

4. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

what a humble heart you have chris

5. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

Sometimes my job takes me past or near the childrens wing at St. Anthony's Hospital, and after everything I see and hear while there I leave feeling so much better & humbled about my health problems compared to all the sad stories taking place there everyday.

6. joy

joy New Member

Yeesh, I got hit by a "worry" last night. Em's been feeling a little 'puny' lately - probably nothing - but Aaron said something about the fact that when his kidneys start not functioning well (from the polycystic kidney disease), he starts feeling sick all the time because the toxins are building up. He said "that's probably what's going on with you, Em." (We already know she has PKD.) He was being his usual twisted self & only teasing but I jumped up off the floor where I'd been sitting & practically yelled "HER KIDNEYS ARE FINE!! They're PERFECT! YOU (pointing at Aaron) can FALL APART but HER KIDNEYS ARE FINE!!!!!" I was only partially kidding.

So now I'm worried that Emily's kidneys are starting to mess up. Trying to figure out if I should get her blood tested. So much has happened with Aaron's health ... I've spent years worrying about him, fretting over his situation. I guess my worry over him has 'burned out' & I only occasionally fret a little. But the very idea that Emily might be starting all that kidney stuff ... the anguish she'd go through ... the physical trial ... the impossible expense (since we don't have insurance on her) ... it all gets to be a bit much.

I know. I know. We're not supposed to worry. I can read the passages clearly & hear the sermons & feel His presence. I know about the "big picture" & how I don't see it all.

But start talking about how my girl might have to 'suffer' ... yeah, that makes me worry. Thank GOD He understands me & loves me anyway.

Thanks for starting this, Ted, even though you've made my eyes puddle. I think my bladder has migrated north ...

7. Titus

Titus New Member

GT, Thank you so much for this sermon.

I'm getting LOTS better with the worry thing. I've had some good Christian folks in my life who reminded me to give the Lord my burdens. This takes practice! I AM getting pretty good at it. When something scares me I automatically call out to Jesus for protection.

When we think we have a BIG worry, we can know that we have a [size=10pt][size=10pt]BIGGER[/size][/size] God.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Joy, I do think God understands our worry. We are His children and He loves us so much.

9. karenlr

karenlr New Member

I think sometimes things happen just to remind us that we need God in our lives, that love and guidance.

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I've found most things that I worry about - don't come to pass and in reality I have little control of the outcome - that is why I pray and seek God as I know He can control all outcome...however, easier said than done...

11. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I just do my best and hope that God does the rest..........(but it doesn't always go the way I want it to).

12. Titus

Titus New Member

Yes.....I like to have my own way, too ;) But so many times, down the road, I see that God's way was best. He ALWAYS sees the big picture!

13. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

...I have a lump on my breast which will have to be further tested...I try and not worry and sometimes I even forget about it...but trusting in Him still makes me a responsible person and He trusts me to get the proper medical testing. Does He have the power to heal me - you bet! But I must also do my part....healing comes in many forms - one I believe is thru His hands, the other is thru His hands that guide the doctors and surgeons and other types of medical - healing therapy.

14. joy

joy New Member

No NO NO! I don't want you to have to go through this T!!! :mad: :'(

Praying praying praying praying praying praying praying. "Please God! Continue to show her your mercy & touch her with your healing & allow her to be strong so that she can continue to be a glorious testimony for you."

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Amen, Joy. You pray very well. Prayers for you Aladdin.

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

God is in control and already has 'this' figured out.

I had 'c' sixteen years ago and really don't wish to endure its nastiness again - but whatever it takes and with the Lord's help I will overcome!

17. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

Hope the very best for you Aladdin. Will help in anyway that I can

18. GreatfulTed

GreatfulTed New Member

I hope that every one has enjoyed this post.
    By all means keep it going if you like
    So what do you folks think? Is this something that everyone has enjoyed?
    I might be able to get something else together for ya'll if you are interested.
    God Bless each and everyone of you.
    Smile and be happy God loves ya and there are folks in this old spinning world that care.

19. joy

joy New Member

Absolutely! Keep it comin! We need all the Christian encouragement we can get now days.

20. Titus

Titus New Member

Bring it on......