What would you tell someone.....

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Chris0515, Jan 8, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

....who tells you that their right ear feels full, they're having trouble hearing in one ear, they are sensitive to sounds on some days, they have ringing in one ear and the sounds of frying bacon in both ears while trying to sleep at night; what would you suggest that they are going through or experiencing?

2. June-

June- New Member

I would tell them to see an ent. It could be middle or inner ear. It could be almost anything and they need to have a dr help narrow it down.

3. burd

burd New Member

Go to the doctor to be sure nothing obvious is amiss. Then to research vestibular disorders. You described what I've been through with my MAV.

4. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

So does that sound anything like Menieres disease?

5. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Based on just what you have stated above, no I would not even think of Meniere's. Eustachian tube issues or middle ear infections can cause fullness same with sound sensitivity. Any tinnitus can be caused by hundreds of different things.

Now if you said you experienced low tone hearing loss with a cycle of fullness and vertigo, then I would think Meniere's.

What does it matter anyway. If you are comfortable with what your doctor has diagnosed you as having then why care about what others think? Let it go, life is too short trying to prove yourself to anyone else but yourself.

6. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Umm, this is a Meniere's support website. No offense, Chris, but do you know much about Meniere's?

7. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I know about it from Dr Danner at the "Tampa Bay Hearing & Balance Center", from what I read online by Googling, and from all the different things that have been talked about it on here so far, and most importantly from............having it.

8. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Right, not wanting to step on anyone's toes, but that seems like it ought to be obvious to all of us that are dealing with MM.

9. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I have 3 out of the 4 main symptoms, but yet there are a few on here who have the audacity and nerve to dismiss all that and try and diagnose me themselves and play internet doctor.

10. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Good luck Chris, I hope you get an answer to that question.

All the best

11. Chris0515

Chris0515 New Member

I already have most of my answers.........some here and a bunch more up in my PM box telling me to ignore the ignorance of some members on here.

12. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

Cochlear hydrops -- no rotational vertigo.

Some Meniere's Disease patients experience hearing loss, fullness, and tinnitus with no rotational vertigo at all, a condition sometimes described as "cochlear hydrops" or "cochlear Meniere's Disease." Some physicians don't consider "cochlear hydrops" to be Meniere's disease at all; other physicians consider cochlear hydrops to be a form of Meniere's disease. Some physicians believe that cochlear hydrops will always progress to Meniere's Disease with rotational vertigo; others don't.

13. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

I have Menieres but I do not have dizzy or vomiting and I no longer have the sensitivity to movement tht I had 4 years ago. But I had this years ago at different times. My hearing loss is not in the bad stage yeat. Occasionally I will not hear the radio and have to ask if there was static on it, or if it was me and my hearing.

This is different for evceryone. I have been lucky that I did not need invasive ear surgery. But that could change.

Even the ENT doctors do not agree on the diagnosis. I am still wondering if I have Meniere's. And when I hear others, I say wow, I do not know half of what the otheres know.

It is a very hard diease to diagnose. Do not blame the doctor's because they just do not understan this either.
    Birdmom3

14. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

sounds like part of what I experience for days on end, seventeen in a row now. If you add the nausea and imbalance then this is the MAV kicking my ass. It's all a drag on us, uses our energy

15. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Get another opinion Chris, just because they have a wall full of diplomas don't necessarily mean that they know Jack... about MM.

16. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

no, not specifically but I am not physician

17. Jordan

Jordan New Member

As far as I know, Lulu has it right.

There are varying degrees of severity to Meniere's, and the vast majority of cases fade away on their own. When vertigo is absent, then some doctors will call it cochlear hydrops, but that doesn't mean a person with this condition does not suffer as well. In fact, many people on this forum have never experienced rotational vertigo but found relief through the various treatments discussed among the members.

18. June-

June- New Member

All ear things on the face of it have some things in common with menieres including unrelated middle ear things.

19. cc635

cc635 New Member

I have cochlear hydrops. Fullness, ringing, low tone hearing loss. No vertigo. Also, no remissions yet. I've had the ECOG and was told I am bi-lateral. I hope that my doctor (OTO) is wrong. I would love not to have MM and worry about the unknowns. If I knew that this is all that would happen and I would never have vertigo, I would be a happy girl.

Is your hearing loss in the low tones?

20. June-

June- New Member

Is there a sensorineural hearing loss?