What to do about all those folks who want your time and money

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by Henrysullivan, May 9, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Andy Stanley recently paraphrased this scripture into practical rule for living. He said that we should:

"Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone."

I think that speaks volumes. Andy spoke to all of the influences and requests we all constantly field while just trying to live out our lives. How many times per week do charities contact you looking for donations? How often do folks you do not even know work on your feelings and sentiments in an attempt to get you to do something for them? It happens to all of us. We are constantly bombarded with requests of every variety.

But the Apostle Paul spoke to this to the Galatians. And I like Andy's paraphrase. God does not expect us to be everything to all people. But He does expect us, when the opportunity presents itself, to do whatever we can to help certain others. Andy said to "go deep rather than wide." In other words, finding one person whom you believe you may really be able to help, and staying with that person until you really make a difference for them, is a higher endeavor than responding to many people, but in a shallower fashion. We only have so much time and opportunity. Paul indicates that this is by God's design. So God does not expect us to work tirelessly helping others. We have our own responsibilities. But there are times in our lives that the opportunity comes along to help someone who has a certain relevance to our life and experiences. Andy says to dwell there and leave all of the other requests with an, "I'm sorry, but I am doing all that I can with those things that are most important to me."

Andy said something else that makes sense. He said that just because you do something for one person, might even be your child. That does not mean that you have to do that same thing for all of your children. But that's not fair, Andy. Andy says, life is not fair and that is by God's design. So there is nothing that we can do to make it fair. So we should do what we can, at the time, for those we see fit, at the time, and not feel pressured to respond to everyone who asks. And of course, if everyone does this, then that would change the world.

I thought that this sermon offered so much sense to this dilemma that we all struggle with. So I thought I would echo his remarks here for anyone who is interested to hear them.

Have a great day.

2. June-

June- New Member

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

If your expectation is that everyone will drop everything no matter how important to do what you want right now, then I guess that's what you need to do. But if you expect that when you ask, they will take into account the big picture and help you if they can and if it is the most pressing request for help at the moment, then that is what to do.

3. startingover

startingover New Member

Henry,
    Thanks so much for sharing that. I really like those concepts.
    Thanks to you also, June.
    Blessings and Smiles,
    S.O.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

Hank, Great words from Andy Stanley. I've heard him preach only once but I'm a faithful listener to his dad.

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I'm glad to have read this. Once I've given to a charity, I am usually called every 'quarter' to give more. Well, I found I was giving to everybody it seemed and I was beginning to resent the calls.

Just recently I 'felt' the need to give to three seperate charities because they are close to my heart. It made it easier to say 'no' and not feel guilty or resentful because not giving made me feel guilty. Viscious circle, I know. I wonder where the 'feeling' came from to ease my resentment and help in a deeper way those things dear to me instead of helping everyone, as you said Hank, in a shallow way?

I can still give and yet take care of myself with what is given to me every month. At least I answer my phone all the time now. And I love the name/address labels and note paper they send to guilt you into spending more...sorry, I had to add that last...Maybe I still have a little resentment left, hmmm.

6. rogerh

rogerh New Member

HANK, GOOD MESSAGE, is Andy the son of Charles Stanley?

7. June-

June- New Member

Holly, in the words of Nancy Reagan, just say no. There is no reason someone else's plan on fixing the universe should supercede yours.

8. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Thanks Hank, I like Andy's sermons, and His dad is Awesome!!

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Thanks June. It's comments like yours that make me feel like I'm doing the right thing for me. =~)

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Yes, Andy is Charles' son. Andy can be seen on GMC, gospel music channel, I think
    I just did a search for him and set to record.

11. Titus

Titus New Member

Can you imagine being raised by Charles Stanley? What a resource of wisdom and knowledge. I listen to Charles Stanley whenever he is on radio or TV and I'm available. Before I accepted Jesus into my heart (March 31, 1999) my friend exposed me to Charles Stanley and we watched together, every Friday night. That show watered the seeds that had been planted throughout my life and when Allen asked me if I was ready to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I was "all in."

Blessed is he who is kind to the needy. Proverbs 14:21

Time and money are two things that we value. There are so many ways to "give" and some of them mean more than lots of time and tons of money. A kind smile, giving someone your seat, taking your neighbor's garbage out.....

I have prayed for a servant's heart because I sensed that is what God called me to be. We are all called to serve but some of us are called to serve in different ways.

I'm glad this thread was revived.

12. rogerh

rogerh New Member

There is a young man from our town that now sings at FBC Atl. once a month. we know his grandfather. he has been to all our local churches to sing and he is a real blessing. It's nice to watch Charles Stanley and see someone you know, also think a lot of the song leader. The Lord is truly blessing that church.