What kinds of music do you like?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by daBronx, Oct 9, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

i did country for four years, almost lost my family. i was possessed and saved by 420....rock on

2. Nathan

Nathan New Member

Holly shit, just look at the size of the f@#%king URL

I see Led Zepp there *raises two thumbs

3. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

:D

4. Michael

Michael New Member

I do play banjo and can tell you, he's a mofo!

5. Michael

Michael New Member

There's only two kinds of music - good and bad. I think of any genre where I haven't heard something that I liked. A lot of music was meant to be seen as well as heard - that's why so many say they hate opera. They've never seen one. Some music really requires a different approach to listening - why so many people think they hate jazz, it's a different listening experience than pop/rock/top 40 or whatever.

My favorite response to have to music is for something to not make total sense on the first listen. I love hearing something and thinking "What the f*ck is that?" and then thinking "Why would somebody make music like this? Who would this sound good to?" Case in point, Classical Chinese Opera is almost unlistenable to Westerners. It's shrill, it's jaring and makes virtually no sense. Guess what? The Beatles sound like that to some people (don't get me wrong, I adore the Beatles). Or take Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" an hour of howling feedback. I love it, used to listen to it all the time. On the other hand, I detest the Beach Boys. I understand completely why people like them and get the historical importance but could care less if I never hear them again. Jandek on the other hand - I believe is the great musical genius of our age. I am dead serious. That said, I understand that it sounds like noise to some people.

I gues what I want to hear is somebody that sounds like the truth. Pre-packaged, top 40 pop tarts even when they look as good as Mandy Moore, just aren't going to cut it next someone who bled through the eyeballs for a piece of art whether it's Johnny Cash, Bill Monroe, Tuvan throat singing, a gamelan orchestra, Captain Beefheart, Eric Satie, or The Mighty Sparrow.

Also the only thing I remember from highschool Latin "Degustibus non es disputatum"

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Wonderful post, Michael!

7. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Classical: Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Haydn (mostly those from the 'Classical Era')

Romantic era too - Tchaikovsky, Strauss, Rachmaninoff, Rossini, Mendelssohn, Bellini

and some 20th century composers as well

8. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

soft rock
    Traditional Arabian Music
    Gospel

9. Michael

Michael New Member

Traditional Arabian Music?!?

Cool - I listen to that all time. I have a lot of oud and saz cds. Wonderful stuff.

10. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

I like pretty much everything. I didn't like country until I spent a few years in Gainesville and got more acclimated to it. I even bought a few country CD's (Johnny Cash box set, Alan Jackson, etc).

My iPod is dominated by rap and hip-hop, though.

11. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

The Stones!

Over the years it has changed. In grad school I listened to classical to study and sleep, relaxing stuff.

12. Michael

Michael New Member

The weirdest records I have ever heard that I highly recommend:

The Frog Calls of North America - yep a record of frogs calling. You get about 50 species.
    Guard Dogs on Patrol - a sound effects record of barking growling and snarling dogs. Amazing
    Ritual Music of The Kayapo - A Brazilian rainforest tribe chanting in monotone. Completely hypnotic.
    American Song Poem Anthology - Has to be heard to believed. Worth it just for the song "Blind Man's Penis"
    Wesley Willis "Feel The Power" - an atonal homeless guy waxes eloquent about riding the bus.
    The Residents "Third Reich and Roll" - whew, completely beyond description.
    Lou Reed "Metal Machine Music" - a two record set of feedback squall. Massive
    The Rob Walters Band "Universal Visions" - poorly written, amatuerishly played, primitively recorded - a Masterpiece

13. June-

June- New Member

Hey, watch it! I have frog calls of Ohio. What's funny about that? ;)

14. daBronx

daBronx New Member

When I said I like some Country,I meant singers like Patsy Cline or Roy Orbison.

15. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

Yes. Not the pop or newer music but the older almost primitive style music, stuff you can belly dance to.

16. daBronx

daBronx New Member

17. June-

June- New Member

I forgot Patsy Cline. She's in my car cd player all the time.

How about Dylan? Pro or con? I wasn't crazy about him but the sound track played through all my salad days so I'm kind if nostalgic.

18. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Bob Dylan is A+. I don't like all his music but some of his CDs are just grand. Blood on the Tracks is my favorite. I never get tired of listening to it.

19. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Bruce Springsteen is one of the great lyricists of our time.

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yes, I agree. He is just too cool.

I know not everyone likes Mark Knopfler but I love his music.