What Jobs do you hold when diagnosed with MM

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by swirlee, Dec 8, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. kim

kim New Member

I have had mm for 14 years. I have been working the last 12 years as a psychiatric case manager. I do community outreach and work with person's who are severely mentally ill. Scary part is i drive a company car all over the county I live in in NY. I also am always concerned that I will get sick with a client and frighten them. I work in an open office with phones ringing and people all talking at the same time. I wear noise canceling headphones to muffle the sound. I get sited every year on my evaluation for excess absence. I get 12 sick days and I only used 10 last year, but it still effected my raise. Funny thing, I work for a hospital. Wish I could retire, but still have 5 more years. I don't want to start over. I do love my job, but not the right one for someone with mm. Wishing you all the best in finding the right treatment and a career that works for you.

2. jwinnv

jwinnv New Member

I'm a teacher. Luckily, I get 15 sick days per year. I had only been a teacher a couple of years when symptoms began and I was able to get them under control by using benedryl. After a few years, that did not work and the disease broke through and came back with a vengeance. I had enough sick leave that I could take some time off on FML and not lose a paycheck. I did okay for a few years, but now it is back. I am thinking I may take FML again. *shrugs*

3. dizzyvic

dizzyvic New Member

I am an executive in a fortune 50 company and i was in this job 3 years ago when i was diagnosed. It is not easy but some how by the grace of God i am holding on. I did have to tell my boss about 3 months ago when a bad attack at work landed me in the ER before that i would just call in sick or work from home. when i did come in i would try to stay in my office and not move my head when having a bad day.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

When I was diagnosed I was living in Europe. I worked for a private company that sent teachers/native English speakers to companies, banks, advertising agencies etc. to teach/tutor businessmen/investment bankers/university professors who wanted to practice conversational English etc. I loved it. I was young, loved my job and looking into starting my own agency with a couple of Australian friends.

5. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

I am a founder and CEO of two high tech companies in the cellular sector. I need to travel a couple of times a month to visit office across the globe. So far MD has not had any impact on my performance, i did work mostly from home for a few months when i was getting daily vertigo. There was also an incident where i got an attack at the airport and was taken out by security, that was fun :)

In the long run, invest in smaller companies and i do plan to stop all my operational roles in the next 2~3 years and focus only on philanthropy which i do on the side now.

6. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I was a purchaser for an electronics company when at age 58 I felt aural fullness in my left ear.I had the same symptom about 15 years earlier and then an ENT cleaned the wax out of my ears.So at age 58 I thought that's all that needed to be done,but the aural fullness continued.Soon after I started getting vertigo attacks and dizziness.I was diagnosed at a local hospital as having Meniere's Disease.I filed for disability but was turned down.Eventually I did get it thanks to an attorney.
    Since August 6th,2005 I've been in remission.I owe my remission to Dr.Jennifer Derebery who suggested a low sodium diet and allergy testing and shots.I'm allergic to dust,mold and grass.

7. kay

kay New Member

I am a secondary English teacher. I was 28 and had been teaching 6 years when my symptoms began. At that time I was also a cheerleading coach. In the 31 years I have been teaching, I have worked for 7 principals. All them but one were so understanding--giving me duty posts where I could sit if necessary. I had to eventually give up the cheer coaching, but I tell my students about my condition on the first day of class and I make jokes about "spinning like a top" "not drunk from alcohol but MM" and they have all been very kind. The teachers next door help whenever possible. Three years ago I stopped driving after a serious attack and my daughter, who is also a teacher at the same school, drives to and from work. However, I have recently vowed to get back in the driver's seat ASAP. MM is limiting but not controlling my life!

8. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

I'm a certified pharmacy technician and a certified respiratory therapist. I work in an independent retail pharmacy, and have some issues, but do well during my remissions..over the past 3 years the hearing loss has been the most difficult to overcome..I do have to jokingly let customers know I haven't been dipping into the narcotics on my "dizzy days"..I have an interesting drunk walk on those days!

Oddly enough, my boss, who is so insensitive and can be rude to anyone, is the most understanding boss I've ever had as far as my MM is concerned. He tries to accommodate me if at all possible..I'm lucky, he says he'd rather have me on my "bad days" than 3 others on their "good days"..if all else fails, he sends me to the couch in back until someone can drive me home...now if he would be as understanding about thinking us women are lesser human beings......

9. lulu48

lulu48 New Member

I was a hairstylist for 25 years but had to quit when my balance got so bad I could no longer stand on my feet for 8 to 12 hours a day and vertigo attacks were causing me to miss a lot of work.

Now I run a small commercial cleaning company out of my home. I take care of all the book work, taxes, billing etc.

10. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Hey,Kim! Missed you! :-*

11. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I know this may sound silly, but I held a Realtor Sales Associate license that I let go.
    At the time, time verses money, waitressing, and cleaning houses was more economical for my family.
    Now, I'd like to get my Sales Associate License again, but I can't find a Broker willing to sponsor me, you need that BEFORE you take the test.

12. Sethwoman

Sethwoman Get busy living or get busy dying.

I work for the United Nations in one of their many IT departments. I have understanding bosses so if and when I get dizzy at work, I just email them, close the door and lie down under my desk for a few hours. Hardest part for me is dealing with the commute to and from work. Subways and Meniere's do not mix.

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

You got acess I Fidel Castro's telephone number?

14. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I, ?, LOL!! Spellcheck, nope, you just left out a whole word!!
    That LABY sure didn't help Your cognitive abilities, BD! LOL!

15. Sethwoman

Sethwoman Get busy living or get busy dying.

Braves,

I do work in identity management, but his record is not in my database. :)