What Jobs do you hold when diagnosed with MM

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by swirlee, Dec 8, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

NWSPIN, in my case the reasonable accomodations were that I telecommute when I feel like I might have a vertigo problem and that I am allowed to set my own travel schedule. It will probably different for every line of work but the Americans with Disabilities Act is the law and employers are required to follow it.

2. endoquest

endoquest Sworn to Secrecy Dumbass

Good thread! Interesting posts from everyone. I and my twin brother operate a small concrete pumping company. My attacks are months apart so it hasn't affected me too badly yet. I am always on jobsites and often on scaffolding, I just play it be ear and endure. My biggest problem is the recovery time after an attack. My balance is off for quite a while sometimes and it will never be what it used to be. We have three employees that can cover for me most of the time but not when we're booked solid. I just have to deal with it, I'm not going to stop working, I'm very stubborn.
    My twin brother doesn't have Meniere's and my wife and friends are a good support team.

My hobbies are what are suffering the most. I race off-road motorcycles competitively and really don't want to give that up. No Omegaman, I'm not kidding!

I also have been a musician for most of my life and don't want to lose any more hearing.

Got no choice, might as well deal with it. Right?

Cheers

3. jewel41

jewel41 Married, 3 kids, science teacher, happy- bit deaf!

I'm a Secondary School Science teacher - sometimes I need a few days off but most of the time I cope. I have a hearing aid and the 'Soundfield System' in my lab. When I get dizzy or foggy I take time off, if I need to use a stick to balance then I do. I intend to keep going until I retire though I know this may not be possible. At the start of this journey I was unable to teach for four months and I suppose that could happen again but i don't think about it. Be positive and you can do most things.

4. sandman

sandman New Member

I know what you mean endoquest, i work for a ready mix company,i run heavy equipment,always up and down catwalks and does take me awhile to recover after spells.I just avoid doing some of the things i did when i first started.

5. RbyFzzl

RbyFzzl New Member

I sit at a computer for 8 hrs a day, I'm also a part time student... talk about stress adding to the MM.

6. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Thanks Michael, that is excatly what I am doing now. I only get greif from one of my bosses about this, he's on the old fashion side, but I can do 95% of my job fom home (telecommuting).

Mike

7. hvyduty

hvyduty New Member

I am a civil servent. Put a drain on the city finances and bring no revenue in. Teach part time at a community college. For fun I work at sporting events and concerts.

Be safe !!

Matt

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

9. marbar

marbar New Member

Thank you for your interesting and must-needed question. When I was first diagnosed in Oct. 2010, I was working as a psychologist at an outpatient medical center. My patient load was heavy and the stress really exacerbated my symptoms. I didn't know if I would be able to continue working. Fortunately, I found a regimen that seems to be working for me, as the intensity and frequency of symptoms have decreased immensely and my hearing has improved somewhat. If you haven't searched this site, investigate the treatments that people are using. This forum is great for treatment suggestions and general support.

Back to my job with MM. My husband accepted a terrific job in Southern California, so I left the outpatient job. I decided that my health is most important, so I decided that I needed to call the shots with my career. Thus, I am carving my own path that allows for flexibility and less stress. I started my own therapy practice in which I see clients in the morning (when I'm not too tired). I also teach graduate-level classes that are conducted online and do some freelance writing. You can work with MM. Sometimes it requires some creativity to manage your work load and type of position in order to maintain a positive quality of life and to prevent aggravation of symptoms.

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Part of an investment group. Do a lot I work from home!

I have said many times I could not work a corporate job with mm with all the stress, deadlines and cutthroat competition. I am a workaholic so I am grateful to work from home without having a boss.

I miss volunteering teaching math to disadvantaged kids twice a week but I just could not continue with it after getting mm.

I am not as involved with charity and things I am passionate about because of the mm. Like teaching finance and investing to teenagers.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Set up a website and do it online.

12. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

I was an antitrust/trade regulation/intellectual property lawyer, with a heavy litigation and counseling load, as well as being a managing partner in my mid-sized (150 lawyers, about 300 support staff law firm. My work required hours on the telephone, endless meetings, court appearances, lots of travel. Stress levels were beyond insane and constant, from clients, colleagues, the courts. Had a massive MM attack in May, 2011, though I think it had been building for about two years before that for a variety of reasons that I can see now, looking back. I tried to keep working for about a month and a half, but it was impossible as my symptoms just got worse and worse. So bad that when I involuntarily had to stop working, I ended up nearly bedridden for almost 8 months, before getting a laby.

Since the day I stopped working, I have not been able to return. Frankly, I doubt I could do much of anything at this juncture given my array of symptoms, their intensity, and some other ailments that intensified after the major MM attack. Have never had the slightest whisper of a remission. I certainly could not handle the combative world of being a civil trial lawyer, nor could I be a manager of people because of all the conversation involved, and all of that had not only been my entire identity, I loved it and was at home doing it. It is perhaps even more wistful for me because I still get a number of emails during the course of the year from former colleagues asking about me and wishing me well--and telling me how much my presence is still missed, which in some ways is the worst thing of all. But I am grateful that the reaction was not "Good riddance!" That provides a degree of solace, at least.

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Recluse: din't forget you could sing that karyoke as well.
    Remember singing Elvis on the beach at the company party!

14. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

Was a firefighter working for the biggest A-hole of a captian in the history of a-holes. Then was transfered to a captian who was more like Gandi. The symptoms were there before the transfer and I got sick a few months later. The big vertigo episode that cost me my job will be two years ago in June, though looking back I'd have to say the symptoms came on a couple of years prior, and then got really bad with the stress and abuse I dealt with working for the A-hole.
    Im working now as a substitute teacher, mostly in special education and 4th grade math and science. I start a new part time job soon working with autistic kids as an ABA therapist. When ever they set up training, that is. I plan on working as long as I can before the beast gets too bad for me to.

15. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I am a freelance communicator -- I provide copywriting and editing services to anyone who hires me. Magazines, churches, businesses, advertising and marketing companies, etc. Sometimes it means long hours at the computer or very stressful deadlines and difficult clients. I'm blessed to work from home, but I've lost clients when MM symptoms hit hard and I'm unable to accept projects. Currently, I'm working with a very understanding group of people, but when the work needs to get done, it needs to get done, and that means that if I become incapacitated at any time, I could lose income. I'm just now recovering from a three year drop in business and am thankful for the opportunity to once again be able to pay my bills! Being self-employed means that I will never have any type of unemployment benefits, but it also means great flexibility in planning my days. It's a double-edged sword.

16. brendansmon

brendansmon New Member

I work in Human Resources for a State University. So far the menieres has not had a huge impact on my job although I am always worried that as time goes on my symptoms could get more severe. Luckily right now my immediate supervisors are great! I have given them lots of information on the disease, given them contacts for my family in case I do have a major attack and they are more than happy to let me close my door if I need time during a minor attack.

17. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

i am a maintenance plant supervisor. i had to take 6 months off work 2 years ago due to mm, but am back to health now with the aid of gent and joh. I think people with menieres can live long and productive lives as long as you proactively look after yourself and get whatever treatment neccessary, even if it means a destructive treatment.
    All the best.

18. Michael

Michael New Member

Travel can be the toughest part of working with MM. I have had attacks on planes and soon after landing.

19. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Michael, what do you do? Does the airline call for medical attention? Do you wear a medical bracelet/necklace?

Ready for baseball? Do you like the braves?

20. Brook76

Brook76 New Member

I had meniere's before I was old enough to start school. I was forced to quit school after I completed the 9th grade due to the condition. I tried to beat the disease and got my GED as soon as I turned 18. I also got my Associate's degree a few years later. I tried to work with people with developmental disabilities. I did this for two years and then I went into the retail environment. My manager was awesome and she tried to help me work around my disease but after three years of barely working a couple a days a week I couldn't do it any longer. I tried so hard to work. I paid people to drive me to and from work and my husband took me quite often too. I changed many jobs and I had finally landed a great full time paying position, but sure enough I had an attack within my 90 days probationary period and I was automatically terminated. After that blow I decided to apply for disability. I got it after two years. I wish I could go back to work and if any of the treatments I try would ever work I would drop everything and go back to school to finish my Bachelor's degree and then I would return to work. I was in my Senior year of college when my disease ruined that for me too. So two semesters and I would be done. I am bilateral but the right ear is the worse. I have thought about doing VNS on that side and seeing if I could manage. Maybe..who knows.