What Jobs do you hold when diagnosed with MM

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by swirlee, Dec 8, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. rrvJean

rrvJean New Member

I was Speech Language Pathologist 12 years ago when I was diagnosed. Currently I am a Speech Language Pathologist and Technology instructor in an elementary school.

Jean

2. Sideways562

Sideways562 New Member

Dispatcher....and i was about to be hired on with the LAPD

3. Nancy2004

Nancy2004 New Member

Human services caseworker. Hanging on by the skin of my teeth.

4. kerryh

kerryh New Member

Head start teacher, also hanging on by the skin of my teeth!

5. princessmommy

princessmommy New Member

Music Teacher.

6. iowatriker

iowatriker New Member

Water plant supervisor for the last 34 years. Going thru a new plant construction now. I've had MM for 10 years and a VNS in 2004. I have good and great days but plan to take early retirement in the near future. I love my work and have remodeled 3 houses and built 2 so I will need to be busy even after retirement. Thats the kind of guy I am.

7. sprmom

sprmom New Member

retired early, Elementary school librarian. I had my first attack when alone in the library and had to crawl to the door and shout for help! I had the wicked witch of the north as a principal, so I took the rest of the school yr off, on leave. Then hubby got transfered to AZ, was there 18 months and moved back to my beloved Ohio! Now I don't have to work, and I am a quilter!

8. cherylmcgr

cherylmcgr New Member

Quality Management for the auto industry which does not always agree with my brain fog, stress level etc. I have to work and I am interviewing today for a position. I find stress is a trigger while at home or work and I need to manag that better just cant figure out how. I have lost 2 jobs in the past 5 tears because of this, they dont say that but lack of details leaving meeting to go throw up etc does not help my case. I will work at anything ecept heights and driving.
    Cheryl

9. Michael

Michael New Member

I destabilize thirld world governments and currencies.

No, seriously I am a safety engineer at a large environmental consulting firm. I haven't had too many problems working but have let my HR department know that I may need leave the office or a project without much notice and I set my travel schedule. They are fine with that. MM is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act which means that your employer is required to make reasonable accomodations for you. Check with you HR department.

10. nwspin

nwspin New Member

Would would the definition of reasonable accomodations be for Meniere's? Would that include being able to telecommute if not being able to travel to work? Just curious.

I am an Executive Administrator for a trucking company which includes managing the Billing, A/P, A/R, Payroll departments and I am also the IT manager (computer geek). When my symptoms flair up I tend to work from home. It may take me 15 hours to do 10 hours worth of work at home when I am sick but I can usually get my work done.

11. Dizi

Dizi New Member

I am a medical social worker. Lots of support at work. God Bless Nurses. They will come running over to you with betadine and a band-aid if you have a paper cut. Very caring environment.

Good luck to you. I agree with others. Keep working if possible (and clearly it isn't possible for some). Working keeps you busy doing something constructive and helps your self esteem.

12. ubenclagen

ubenclagen New Member

I am not working right now, but I went back to school during my remission and got a degree in graphic design. During my last year in school the MM came back. I was able to work for awhile after graduation thanks to my gent treatment. Now it's back again and i do freelance but business is bad right now because of the economy. There is someone at my church who owns a business who is interested in me working for him when the company's ready to expand. it's the perfect job for me and he may be the only one who would give me a chance with my MM. I don't dare look for a job outside the home otherwise, with the way i'm feeling now. the real drag is that i haven't had fulltime employment since before my daughter was born in 1995, so i don't think i could get disability even if i truly am disabled.

13. snowsporter

snowsporter why go on a rollercoaster? live on one day to day

been in the military for almost 18 years. was dxed at the 17 year mark and trying to hold on for the last 2 to make retirement. the worst part was being stationed on ships. tak about an unstable person on an unstable platform, not a good combination

14. Omegaman

Omegaman New Member

LOL - Glad I could add a little laughter to your day.

Actually, I work for the government. I think I've said it before, but I am very fortunate to have an extremely understanding supervisor. I also telework two days a week and he's great about letting me switch those days around if I'm having a hard time.

As for carnival rides, the rides like the tilt-a-whirl and the scrambler have made me sick since I was in my late teens, so I tend to stay away from them. Ironically, right before I started having Meniere's symptoms for the first time, we had gone to an amusement park where I rode all the coasters multiple times. I've always wondered if maybe I shook something loose...

15. Erin

Erin New Member

I am also a Speech Language Pathologist, Jean. I just started my career 1 month before I was possibly diagnosed with a variant of menieres. I still have not had any vertigo symptoms and just have the hearing loss, tinnitus and occasional fullness in my ear. I plan on working for as long as I can and am hoping I never experience the dizziness although there are mixed opinions on whether I will or not.

16. Dizi

Dizi New Member

I can't even look at an amusement park. Every year a carnival is set up in the parking lot across from my office and my cohort always shuts our blinds and says, "OH OH....They're setting up the "Tilt & Hurl" ;D ;D ;D

17. cobleki

cobleki New Member

I am a flight controller for the International Space Station. I have to pass a physical each year to keep my job, and the physical includes a hearing test. I haven't been formally diagnosed with MM, as my hearing is still in the normal range, so hopefully I'll still be at it for a while.

18. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Actually.... I'm a P.I.M.P. that's right, poker is my profession.
    Texas's hold em any one? ;)

19. swirlee

swirlee New Member

Thanks to all who took time to answer my job question. I do not work now,now but I will ge out there and give it a shot. I am a trained paralegal though I got sick before I could look for a job.

20. maryjobo

maryjobo New Member

I'm a credit analysis officer in commercial lending at a community bank so I'm at a computer 8 hours a day. I've had 6 or 8 severe vertigo attacks at work in the past 4 months. I staggered out the door hanging on to my daughter and one of my co-workers the first time it happened. Then I asked HR to buy a wheelchair, just in case I had another attack or if a customer of the bank should need one. They did buy one and since then I get wheeled out to the car when my husband comes to get me. I work 4 miles from our home and he works 2 miles from our home, so I just sit at my desk with my eyes closed until he comes into my office with the wheel chair. When I feel better I call him and he takes me back to work.
    Everybody has been great, HR at the bank is supportive and my co-workers and my husband's co-workers are all very understanding.
    MaryJo