What is your guesstimate on what brought on your Meniere’s?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Carmen121, Jun 30, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

What do I think brought my MM on? ... defiantly the 70's,

[​IMG]

2. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

...and here I thought my problem was I was born too late to enjoy the 70's! ;D

(actually, it runs in my family - a long period of extreme stress seemed to trigger it)

3. poppaharley

poppaharley Meniere's: God's answer to a free merry-go-round

<<<<and here I thought my problem was I was born too late to enjoy the 70's! >>>>>

Well.....I was born too soon and enjoyed the 60's. Maybe it all started at Woodstock????

On the other hand....maybe it goes back to when I was a teenager reading all the magazines hidden under my mattress and they told me that if I "didn't stop doing that", I'd go blind......so I can still see but maybe it's the ears that got whacked.

4. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

lol Tony :D

...and just noticed you're spelling mistake Larry.....too funny! ;D was it intentional?

5. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

[​IMG]

6. princessmommy

princessmommy New Member

Can't be sure 100% but I had my first hospitilizing attack (before I knew it was MM) about a week after I was, ironicially, in the ER for dyhydration due to catching the Norwalk Virus...it's the worst stomach flu bug! That's my guess. And it is just that, a guess.

7. missmrs

missmrs New Member

Three months before I started having Menieres symptoms I had a definite viral infection in my mouth, on my gums, under the tongue and the roof of the mouth. It was very painful and lasted about a month. I had frequent fever blisters as a child and young adult but have not had one of those for many years now. I know the herpes simplex virus was dormant in my body until this horrific outbreak prior to the Menieres onset. I was teaching high school which is a high stress job. In my mind, the virus explanation makes the most sense.

8. DizzyinColorado

DizzyinColorado Formerly known as DizzyInColorado

I have several thoughts on this as well. The spring of 2006 I went to a new allergist because I have asthma and it was "interfering" with my running. He thought that allergy shots could help that and make the running easier. After each and every shot, I got hives, swelling, rashes, and had to go to the ER once. I finally quit the shots about a month before the vertigo hit. I also had a root canal around this time on my upper back molar on my bad ear side. My third oto did blood work to check for herpes virus. I had the highest count that they had ever seen. They put me on Acyclovir but only one pill per day. I never noticed a difference. I used to get cold sores like crazy but they seem to have stopped now. The day of my first attack, I did a really hard, hilly run in the heat of the day. I went home and blammo! I also think that I have an autoimmune connection. My mother has rhumatoid arthritis very badly, my son has Crohn's disease and my father has terrible intestinal troubles. I was tested for autoimmune but it came back negative. Prednisone has always helped me though. Maybe it was none of these things but somehow I think that something started it all off. :-\

9. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Migraine.

10. rogerh

rogerh New Member

I've always though that my job might have something to do with it, As a service tech. going into many factories and the noise in some places was to the extreme, in the first years no one had ear plugs you just did your job. also breathing the chemicals in these places and not even knowing what they were. my first attack was at home, went down on floor hard it lasted about 20 sec. and went away with no after problems, [that sure has changed]

11. Stick

Stick Guest

I respectfully disagree with Linda .. I think it does matter :)

Chronic ear infections. Blew out my ear drum twice. Had several ER doctors brought in to see the freak with the massive ear infections. Had several tubes put in, currently a permenant t-tube.

Possible causes:

1) Prescribed cortisporin ear drop for years and told to make sure the drops passed into the middle ear.
    probably not a good idea because cortisporin contains neomycin - gents cousin.

2) Also have arthritus in neck diagnosed with fibromyalgia, yes rare for men and another idiopathic disease,
    yeah I'm two for two. I'm taking elavil for that which is also sometimes prescribed for MM.
    Could be auto-immune mediated. I'm tired being treated like a hypochondriac. Spending time with doctors
    is the last place I'd rather be.

3) Currently taking acyclovir, diuretics and keeping sodium between 1000-1500 mg per day. Nothing is helping
    and currently MM is kicking my butt 16 attacks in 4 months and total loss of hearing left ear. My right ear
    is starting now. After that long preamble here's the next theory. My left sided started with itching and
    tinnitus. I bought this up with my ENT who said well don't itch it. I told him my left ear smells bad, he
    said everybody's ears smell. ( at this point I want to take a poison ivy leaf and cram it up his ears and
    other places and tell him not to itch it.) My right ear has now started with itching and tinnitus. I have a
    theory that it might be a fungal or yeast infection. I'm going to try to get my ENT or primary doctor to let
    me try nystatin ( an systemic anti fungal with little risk or side effects) If they won't help me I'm going
    to remind them of theory # 1 above and make a stink. I found an article from the House Ear Clinic where
    they stumbled upon some good results by accident when treating a patient with nystatin for mold allergies
    the patient(s) who also had presumed AIED or meniere's started to get better. It's worth a shot.

Here's the article link:

http://www.mwilliamson.com/hearingloss.htm

12. vikx

vikx New Member

Had ear aches so bad as a kid that I had to have my tonsils and adnoids removed. My doctor said at the time that I might have hearing trouble in later years...

2 months before the big attack, I broke my wrist and had surgery. There was a lot of stress associated with that plus the nurse put a very painfull cast on. I took too much Motrin but was desperate to escape the pain and pressure. Finally trimmed the cast myself. The first big spin came just 2 weeks after the cast was off.

Did I take too much Motrin? Was it Stress? Age old ear problems? Who knows? VK

13. Nairina

Nairina New Member

a predisposition to ear infections from childhood - narrower than usual eustacean tubes
    a car accident, whiplash that caused shoulder and neck injury
    a virus where my immune system went haywire

the accident and the virus happened within about six weeks and about 2 months after that I had my first vertigo attack - after being on a yacht in the Arabian gulf.

14. sarah1864

sarah1864 New Member

All of a sudden in the mid 1980's I was feeling dizzy and one ear hurt. The doctor tried a bunch of treatments, but nothing helped. My medical record at my former clinic is full of visits related to dizzyness and vertigo. Now I am full blown mm and getting worse as I get older.
    All I can think of is my father has had ear problems since he was a young adult, and has had multiple surgeries and only 60% hearing in one ear. Hereditary? Could be for me.

15. sprmom

sprmom New Member

I had wax build up in my right ear severely as a child, I literally didn't hear all winter, my tried sweet oil, and everything else. A doc finally got it out at age 18.

My grandmother & Mother had/have MM

STRESS totally triggers me! and working on my daddy's estate is not helping. I am looking forward to VA beach in 2 weeks!!!

16. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

I blame it on my parents, they shouldn't of had a quickie, and maybe my ears would have gotten all the right stuff if they had lasted longer

Just Tuck!

17. June-

June- New Member

Thanks for this article, I am going to ask my dr about it in my case.

18. jools

jools Guest

I still don't think I have MM but the same symptoms brought on by lots of infections in the ear as a child, being hit in that ear by a snowball with a rock in it (ouch!!), two whiplash injuries to my neck and TMJ.

I am currently undergoing Trigger Point Therapy (both self applied and via a therapist) and it is definitely helping. My general feeling of unwell has all but gone, the fuzzy head has gone, my hearing has improved, no ear fullness, quieter tinnitus and no vertigo for nearly two months. Course it could be another remission but I will keep up the therapy anyway for now.

19. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I thought It was because I have big ears.

But now I am leaning towards Larrys theory as well.

20. Nairina

Nairina New Member

I think exceptional intelligence, wit and charm makes you more likely to have menieres.