what is worse then vertigo? putting things into perspective.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sirlanc, Aug 22, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Worse than vertigo here's one:

having to take a shit at 3 o'clock in the morning and than remembering you forgot to get toilet paper at the store that day. Talk about pressure and tough decisions. Either way your SCREWED. Hold it and suffer or sacrifice a towel, tee shirt you worked hard to obtain.

2. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Or, you could just put your ass under the faucet and clean it all away.

3. CGR

CGR Guest

Or you could wipe it with your hand like ppl in India do. :D

4. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Sorry CGR I respectfully disagree. The last two years have been the worst I have ever experienced. For 18 months I had daily sometimes multiple daily attacks, some lasting as long as 4 days. I ended up in the ER 5 times and was admitted to the hospital twice, the last time was 3 months ago and it was at the Mayo clinic in Rochester MN. They kept me for 3 days.

I have been told by every DR that I have seen in the past 2 yrs that mine is the most severe case they have ever seen. I know Vertigo and I know deafness and i would take the vertigo, like I said it does end at some point!! To give you an idea I have now have BPPV and I havent even made an appt to stop it, that should tell you a little bit!!

5. CGR

CGR Guest

Fair enough. Im sorry you've suffered so much from both.

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I don't know why I keep reading this topic ~ it's a real downer. Maybe it's the old 'misery loves company' thing...

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Actually the intent of this thread is the exact opposite. In simple words - you don't know what you've got till it's gone! What we think as being the absolute worst thing that is happening to us may really not be that way. There IS always worse than that and we don't have to experience it to know it.

One of the main things that gets me through my migraine attacks (which I can assure you are so freaking bad when it comes to the level of head pain) is that it could be worse.

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Don't suffer anymore, Just call me, I am right down the street, I can come over and rub your shoulders an give you a massage with my latest and greatest treatment. It will all go away, I promise. Get rid of that headache forever!

9. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Stop flirting with me ;D

10. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

Flirting is a vestibular suppressant

11. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I don't have enough emoticons to laugh at this one!!! No wonder my husband loves living with me. I've been self-medicating without even knowing it! ;D ;D ;D :D :p

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I think you're right ;)

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I actually do completely understand what this topic is getting at. I just don't agree about the perspective of things. What we experience at our worst point is the worst. I respect that you can think of worse things while you're in the middle of one of your migraine attacks. Does it help it anymore than not thinking of worse things - oh, nevermind, you said that it helps the pain. I can respect that.

When my brain is screaming at me I can't self medicate by saying "hey, there's worse out there". Of course there's always worse. Even the man without arms and legs is better off that the man who is paralyzed from the neck down. Do you think it makes the man without arms and legs feel any better? I'd guess it'll only be when he consciously thinks, "what could be worse?" I don't think the "you don't know what you've got til it's gone" is the simple answer. We are comparing miseries and trying to put our own miseries into it's/their proper places. Like I said - misery loves company.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Bottom line: Self talk is extremely important. If you tell yourself you can, you will. If you tell yourself you can't you won't. Ultimately we rise to meet the expectations we set for ourselves and I believe this is the purpose (albeit a bit tongue in cheek!) of sirlanc's post.

Very true and I agreed with you. In fact, in one of my earlier replies on this thread I said something very similar. However, there is always worse. It's not about becoming aware of this in the throes of an attack; it is about keeping this awareness with us constantly. There is always worse. Even in my own life, I have experienced much worse than a vertigo attack or a migraine but I will agree that while I am in the midst of pain, I often lose sight of this awareness.

There is a deeper layer to his post. It's not as superficial as it may come across.

15. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

So, what's the deeper layer. Seems self explanatory to me.

Yes, I've used self-talk and you're right, it works.

Thank-you for admitting that it's difficult to think of 'what's worse' during an attack.

I too have suffered worse. I've suffered worse often in the sense of this topic. My Meniere's is 24/7 yet other health issues take a back seat many times. I'm not trying to put more into the topic than is there.

It's just difficult to grasp this topic other than saying it out loud on 'paper' what is worse than vertigo.

16. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

You don't know what you've got til it's gone...now where have I heard THAT before??? ;D

17. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

I hate this freakin disease. Bad enough we have it. The worst for me is having a family who doesnt understand it or doesnt even CARE to understand it and never will understand it.

18. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Sometimes, I feel exactly the same way.

I'm so tired of constantly reminding them, "I have Menieres", it just doesn't sink in,
    UNLESS you have it.

That's why this support group is sooo important.
    Everyday is a new day, to begin again, sigh.

I know exactly where you are coming from!

19. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

There is nothing worse than vertigo and drops---- it is te reason we are all here and the reason many of us have ripped our ears out.

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I'm sorry. That must be very hurtful.