WHAT IS THE WORST THING YOU'VE EVER BAKED?!

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by x-Jessie-x, Jul 4, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. x-Jessie-x

x-Jessie-x New Member

For my Fiance's 26th birthday yesterday, I decided (stupidly) to bake him a birthday cake ...

My little brother is a chef, so he spread all the mixture into the cake tin, (as I really really can't do it - I can play 7 instruments, and conduct concerts, but I cannot do anything to do with cooking :D) and anyway I was really pleased with it and very excited! Anyway, the stupid thing didn't actually cook in the middle and after being in the stupid oven for OVER AN HOUR, i stuck a knife in the middle to see if it was cooked, but it still wasn't ... so I chucked it back in the oven for a bit longer ...

Anyway, about half an hour later, it seemed to be cooked in the middle so I took it out the oven, noticing how stupid it actually looked cos where I'd stuck the knife in, had developed into this big hole in the middle of the cake!

I didn't know (at the time) that before you ice a cake, you're supposed to let it cool ... haha, so I tried to cut the stupid thing in half (through the middle so I had 2 circles) only to watch the stupid cake fall apart infront oh my eyes! But I thought "Sod it, I'm going to make this cake work by shoving a load of butter icing on it, and making it look better) ... naturally, and any of you cooks out there will know, that that was not the best idea I'd ever had ... the stupid icing melted everywhere and the cake was uneven and all crumbly and everything ... so where the hole was in the middle, I shoved a candle, and thought i'd just leave it ...

It was possibly THE WORST CAKE I'VE MADE IN MY LIFE!!!
    In fact, when I took it over to my parents, my father looked at it and said "It looks more like a Bum-hole than a cake" :D !!! Can you believe?!
    Poor old Steve, looked at it and said "It's the thought that counts darling" !!!!

What a waste of ingredients!

There you go poor people, if you want a laugh have a think about that one!!
    What's the worst thing you've ever made??

2. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

That would be some drop bisquits I made years ago for a church single's group. When you bit into them they would deflate. Today they are known as "flat tire bisquits".

3. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Probably the mashed potatoes I made for a family Thanksgiving Dinner one year....I was new to cooking, and I thought the more I beat the potatoes with the mixer, the smoother they would be.

Unfortunately, I did not understand the concept of potatoes turning into GLUE when they are severely beaten, and the end product was the gummiest, stickiest mess you ever saw, and nearly yanked the dentures out of an elderly aunt's mouth when she took a bite.

After that, no one ever asked me to make the mashed potatoes again.

4. old timer

old timer Guest

A batch of bread that didn't rise much. We had to slice it on it's side, horizontally. It was tough sledding to get through those 4 loaves, but we didn't waste them. That was 36 years ago and fotunately my technique has improved.

5. jrw

jrw New Member

Well, not the worst but certainly the most unusual. At least that's how my daughter's friends voted it - venison and lamb meatloaf. I didn't think it turned out half bad, just sounded weird.

6. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Thanks for the good laugh about the 'Bumhole' cake x-Jessie-X!!!!

I made some god awful pancakes last year....I used to eat these really yummy ginger/pumpkin pancakes at a fun diner that has since closed. I was kind of 'winging it' and with the low so baking soda and too much pumpkin puree or something they just made wet globby blobs in the frying pan. And I once made a 'sponge' cake that turned out more like a rubber bath mat than a 'sponge'!

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I was teaching my daughter to cook yogurt tea cake, and she thought the recipe called for half a cup of salt and tossed it in while I wasn't looking. It really said half a teaspoon. Har har har.

(actually--it was pretty funny!)