What have you learned today?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by shartsoe, Apr 30, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Thanks....actually its supine to be exact. =^)

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

“Once there was a young warrior. Her teacher told her that she had to do battle with fear. She didn’t want to do that. It seemed too aggressive; it was scary; it seemed unfriendly. But the teacher said she had to do it and gave her the instructions for the battle. The day arrived. The student warrior stood on one side, and fear stood on the other. The warrior was feeling very small, and fear was looking big and wrathful. They both had their weapons. The young warrior roused herself and went toward fear, prostrated three times, and asked, "May I have permission to go into battle with you?" Fear said, "Thank you for showing me so much respect that you ask permission." Then the young warrior said, "How can I defeat you?" Fear replied, "My weapons are that I talk fast, and I get very close to your face. Then you get completely unnerved, and you do whatever I say. If you don’t do what I tell you, I have no power. You can listen to me, and you can have respect for me. You can even be convinced by me. But if you don’t do what I say, I have no power." In that way, the student warrior learned how to defeat fear. ”

― Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times

3. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I learned from my five year old grandson that Libya's flag is boring. I had no idea what it looked like so we looked it up. He's right.

Right now his favourite flag is Greenland's. it is kinda cool.

4. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

I should mention the book we have is really old and in it Libya's flag is just a plain green rectangle.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Green is my favorite color.

6. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

Soylent green?

7. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

yuck - ya think it'll ever come to that??

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Hi Holly. Hi Wino. How ya been?

9. Wino

Good, shartsoe. Busy. Real busy. But other than battling my first MM relapse in 2.5 years I can't complain too much.

10. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Been doing good. Getting help from my son to get out more. How're are you doin' girl?

11. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Sorry to hear that. Relapses suck.

12. Wino

I've been very fortunate that it has been a manageable relapse. I've only had a handful of days where my hearing was really in the tank, and even then it fluctuated just enough on any given day that I was functional enough to go work. At this stage, it's clearing up again but it's just more sort of a nagging, residual fullness.

13. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I'm doing okay, Holly. Glad you're getting out more. The weather should be turning nice soon and it will be good to be in the sun.

Wino,
    I started "tanking" in November. My hearing started to fluctuate dramatically. Two or three rounds of prednisone and three dex injections did nothing to help. Finally it got bad and stayed bad. I have a hearing aid just to help with "sound awareness" but it doesn't really help much. I'm now waiting for insurance to approve a cochlear implant. It's been hard, but I am looking forward to better days. I miss music and the sound of my son's voice.

Glad to "see" you both again. :)

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Hi Wino and Holly ... good to see you both xx

Sorry about the relapse Wino :( That sucks.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That was one crazy a$$ movie.

16. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

I learned again, for the 10,000th time, believe nothing that you hear and about half of what you see.

17. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I learned that people take advantage of me because I'm a nice guy(yes really).Last Sunday I got a call from a neighbor asking me if I could take him to the V.A.in Palo Alto because he was having trouble breathing.So I took him and waited there more than 5 hours until the doctor came and told him and me that he would need to stay in the hospital because of a slight case of pneumonia in his chest.
    Early Monday evening this man calls me at home asking me if I could drive down to the V.A. and bring him some mints.I couldn't believe the audacity that I should drive down to the hospital just to get this guy some mints.I told him that I was not coming.The nerve of some people,oh and by the way he's also an alcoholic about a year older than me.

18. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

If he weren't an alcoholic would you have taken him some mints?

19. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

You did a good thing taking him to the hospital when he actually needed to be here.

Then you did another good thing refusing to go to take him mints.

I would say that you did good!! We can't control what others do but we can control what we do :)

20. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

** be there not be here :/