What have you learned today?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by shartsoe, Apr 30, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

They say that we learn something new every day. Yesterday I learned the meaning of the proverb "he who meddles in a quarrel not his own is like one who takes a dog by the ears." I commented on a friend's FB post and boy did I get it from his other friends! It was hurtful, but I guess I asked for it. :-[

What have you learned today?

2. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Shart: good thread/post!

Today I learned its not how much time we have on earth it's what we do with that time that's important.

You can judge the success of a person by the size of their funeral. Outside of kids/teenagers the biggest funerals we do are for teachers! You can never tell where their influence ends.

I like this thread Shart.

3. jrw

jrw New Member

That deer ticks overwinter in leaf litter. You don't have to hike through woods or tall grass to pick them up. If you have deer then the ticks can be in your flower beds. I've been bitten twice already this year. Ick.

4. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

BD, that's so true! My MIL was a humble woman, but her funeral was full of people who remembered her goodness and kindness. She left a wonderful legacy in her two sons and her grandchildren.

jrw, I did not know that! Ew!

5. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Wonderful topic!

I learned that you can lead a sheep to slaughter.....but why would you want to?
    I've learned that PEACE, and positive energy reinvigorates ones soul.
    I've learned that, I AM, a very outspoken person!

LOLOLOL!

6. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

"Peace and positive energy reinvigorates ones soul." A nice thing to learn.

7. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

It takes less than a minute to smile at a passerby and compliment her/him on what they are wearing, their lovely eyes, etc. That one comment can make the difference in a a person's day.

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

You can tell a persons character/morals by what they do when no one is watching!

9. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I just learned that some people make statements...like they are taking out of their ass.

Who cares, it all random to me. LOL!

10. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Please use the word sphincter. Ass is very inappropriate. This is a kids show!

11. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

If you're not watching how can you tell what they do?

12. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Well I'll have to agree, some adults do act like children.

I remember hearing and saying dumbASS when I was in elementary school for crying out loud!

GEEEEEEzzzzzzz.

"Get A GRIP"
    no innuendo there, BD

LMAO!

BTW, does anyone know if June is ok?

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

If a tree falls and there's no one around does it still make a sound? :D

14. Aliza

Aliza I'm still standing, alone but upright

I learned that it's all too easy to miss what someone is trying to tell you!

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I jut learned that sometimes friends become our chosen family!

Happy Days are here again!.

16. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I learned that one of the secrets to great chocolate chip cookies is to make sure the butter is chilled, otherwise they go flat!

17. jrw

jrw New Member

Is that what's going wrong with my recipe? I couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

18. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

My cookies kept going flat, too! I found a couple of culprits you may want to check out.
    If you are using the Toll House recipe, increase the flour by about 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Your dough should be very stiff by the time you get done.
    The butter issue: I was leaving my butter out to soften on the counter, which is fine, but I was leaving it too long. You should be able to leave a thumb press in it, but it should still come out of the wrapping in a pretty solid form.
    Pans. Your pans should be very clean and free from any left over oils that may have built up from previous use.
    Chilling. I started chilling the dough for a while after it's prepared. It might not hurt to do it overnight. I find my cookies rise much better this way.

Hope this helps!

19. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

I learned that I need to not always be in a rush to get something done. ::)

How did I learn that? ???

I was in a hurry to get things out for breakfast and spilled oatmeal all over the counter and I had a mess to clean up on the floor and the counter. :eek:

20. rottiesrule

rottiesrule New Member

I learned that my fun meter pegged out this morning.