WELLNESS THREAD - WEEK OF JULY 20

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jul 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

Saturday morning.

Walked the dog; still off the allergy foods.

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Friday morning: went back to Weight Watchers after a five-month absence :'(

Friday evening: ate all the leftovers in the fridge, preparing for WW :eek:

Saturday morning: ate only WW-friendly foods, tracked points......AND......went back to the gym (after a month's absence) for an hour and a half workout!!!!

3. Titus

Titus New Member

Bonnie, how did that make you feel (she asks in her best Dr. Phil voice?) :D

4. dreamer

dreamer New Member

For days #4 and 5 I decided to focus more on eating better and succeeded for the most part only missing one meal. Yay for small victories :).

5. Titus

Titus New Member

I don't think I'm craving dairy today but I THINK I might have a problem with soy. Sometimes soy can provoke migraine and I think this might be happening to me :mad:

I walked one mile this morning, then did stretches for 15 minutes.

I feel very fatigued and need to take a nap.

6. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Kim,

Soy is a killer for me, I wish it wasn't such a trigger. I took today off from excersize, At my peak I always took the weekends off. I've gotten so use to eating simple that eating anything but chicken or fish as far as meat makes me feel sluggish. Been eating lots of organic greens, soups and whole grains, well not overing doing it on the grains. Trying to add more berries as they are the best fruit you can eat. Next week I'll keep doing what I have been ;D

7. charisse

Thats a good point, I've had the same thing when getting off some sort of food.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

I've always eaten healthy foods but didn't let go of the foods I was allergic to so I'm trying it now. Here is what I'm eating.
    fish (mostly salmon and other oily fish for Omega 3)
    organic chicken & turkey
    tofu & that expensive Revival soy protein shit :D :eek:
    Flax seeds and flaxoil, olive oil
    All vegetables except potatoes
    All fruit
    Please don't laugh but organic popcorn....lots of it. I just feel like I need some kind of whole grain and brown rice doesn't do it for me.
    lots of water and organic iced tea (one or two a day, max)
    beans (black, kidney, garbanzo)
    spices & seasonings

Now, I'm suspicious of corn and soy. I've been eating microwave popcorn for about three years.....every day.....yes, you read it right, every day :D

Tomorrow (Monday) I'm cutting out soy from the mix. Then next Monday, I'm cutting out the popcorn. When I cut out the popcorn I'll probably add organic brown rice and maybe a sweet potato or yam each day.

The fibromyalgia has reared its ugly head and my body aches today. I'm getting ready to do another 15 minutes of gentle stretches (Tai Chi).

NOTE: Bad weather has come in. Increase in dizziness observed.

9. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

Well I didnt do very well last monday when I weighed in at my TOPS group. I gained but not much just .75 so that isnt that bad. will see how I did this week. I have been doing more exercise well as much as my darn knee lets me. I am still having problems with my left knee that I had replaced 2 1/2 years ago. I thaught it would of been better by now. MY right knee is doing good., Oh well life goes on. I guess.
    hope every one has a good week.
    c-u-all lighter

10. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Day 3 on Weight Watchers, and I'm doing well. Of course, tonight is the ice cream social at church, and last night I made a huge pan of hot fudge sauce..... ::)

No, I can't handle all that sugar (and butter and cocoa), so I'm glad to make it for an appreciative audience. And I send the leftovers home with the Associate Pastor's wife, who loves it! :D

I am so reluctant to dive into dietary causes for my symptoms....I've done well eliminating the big triggers, such as MSG and other presertives, and most of our meals are home cooked. My goal for next month is to cook my way through some of the WW cookbooks I have.

But the thought of cutting out a big list of foods (elimination diet) just freaks me out! I'm all right with everything in moderation, I think. As long as I don't overload in any one area (scents, allergens, suspicious food, salt, concentrated sweets) most of my symptoms remain under control.

However -I admit I'm curious to see if I could feel even better....

11. charisse

Got a good workout in today. Something good has happened in that I've been able to go every day. I feel better in general, I think it has alot to do with no period for 2 months ;D maybe the hormones have settled down and my MAV is not so bad. If thats the case,, thank God for the golden years :D

12. Titus

Titus New Member

I think soy is a trigger for depression (for me). I also discovered that greek yogurt helps digestion and fills me up. I'm not sure if I'm better with it or without it. I'll know by the end of this week. I DO know that wheat is a BIG no-no for me.

13. Titus

Titus New Member

Good job, Charisse. You are doing so great. I walked 2.5 miles at 8:30 today, then did 15 minutes of stretches/leg lifts. I also cut back on Valium yesterday and today and completely cut out the anti-vert. I want my energy back and will have to play with a few things and figure out what works.

Bonnie, I completely understand. As a fellow fibromyalgia *victim" I know we have to be careful not to add or take away too much at once. There is a balance. I always know when I'm worse by how much smells bother me. On a good day I can tolerate a church service. On a bad day, the smells in the neighborhood from clothes dryer fabric softeners give me heart palpitations. I went to my friends house to play cards Saturday and she had all these scented candles going. I got dizzy fast and had to tell her to get rid of the fragrances when I come. She has breathing problems and I think it's because she uses all these scents to *freshen* her house.

14. Alfie

Alfie New Member

I am checking in 8)

My son was inspired to take me up the canyon yesterday. The wildflowers are in bloom and I love flowers. We took a bit of a hike which was made possible by finding a branch that made a good walking stick. I get very tense and anxious walking on uneven surfaces, but with three "legs" I can let go of most of it. I would have felt more safe if I had left the house with something more than crocs on my feet! But I did even cross a flat board over a shallow creek, learning that it was much better if I looked straight ahead and not at the moving water beneath me.

My other son when he was about 11 came home with a Christmas gift, 6 months into the disease, with a little hand made book for school. Writings were "The Best Things About" each member of the family. For me he wrote she loves flowers and walking and she hates beeing sick.

Honestly, the hates being sick (and other woes) takes over too often and I forget the walking and flowers.

There are canyons so close to our city, I need to get in them more often. It is so darn hot in the valley and the in the canyon yesterday afternoon was 25 degrees cooler.

That is my commitment this week. I wish I knew how to post a picture. For those who watched the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake-those are MY mountains, Only in the winter they have more than 100 inches of snow over the wildflower seeds and Aspens.

15. Titus

Titus New Member

[​IMG]

SLC Mountains :)....thinking about you.

16. Alfie

Alfie New Member

Kim,

I am right behind the tall buildings far left..About a mile from downtown central.

Thank goodness there is an open area two blocks away!!! On the weekends it is runners and bikers back and forth in front of the house. One weekday my grandboys went out with a lemonade stand (with Mom) in 30 minutes they made $7.50.

Come see me!