WELLNESS THREAD - WEEK OF JULY 20

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jul 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

Took my second walk after work. Went another 2.5 miles. It was so hot. Still working on the food issue and portion control. Looking forward to the journal and reading tonight.

2. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Its day #2 and I did manage to eat three times today although not very much at all. I didnt do any exercises for balance either. Its ok I suppose... :-\

3. pardonme

pardonme Guest

4. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Pardonme, its a deal. We should work to inspire one another even in small ways :). I usually dont eat when I dont feel well...it just seems to make me more nauseous...and yesterday was the second day of not taking meds before an ENG test today. I have thoughts that if I feel this bad now Im not going to feel any better after that test. But after the test I will be back on my meds and Thursday is a new day :).

5. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Going to workout again today. I take my mp3 player and get a much better workout that way. I am still working on my thoughts. I so want to get my bills paid off and move into something smaller. I know some of it is just going to take time but I get in these moods where it overwhelms me. I tend to want it all done now :D Ok off to the gym, I need to read everyones posts when I get back.

6. pardonme

pardonme Guest

7. charisse

:D :D :D :D OMG your toooo funny. You know I have had the burps real bad lately and at home I just let em out. I was at the gym and let out a loud one not even thinking where the hell I was, this older lady gave me a dirty look :D

8. Aegir

Aegir New Member

I want to get back to my exercising, I miss it. Having been sat at a computer studying literally all hours, sometimes when I should have been in bed :'( it's kind of got me out of the habit, although things spinning and clutching the bucket didn't help either ;)

So, Monday I started again, I thought a nice gentle use of my aerobic step, simple up down/ up down stuff, nothing complex. An hour later, I managed to hang in there ;D I felt good that I'd got back to it again. Yesterday, I blew off the exercise. 'cos I could barely walk...and today, I'm still doing the Robocop walk, very stiff calf muscles ::) It dawned on me that 60 minutes at 140 steps per minute is something like doing 5,000+ calf raises...and I wonder why I have stiff muscles ;) Oh, well, I started at least, so maybe at the end of the week I can get back to it, once the soreness has subsided. I'd like to get my fitness levels back up again, that's my goal this year.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

I did a big no-no. I lifted some heavy boxes down from shelves. Way too much weight. Not my neck hurts. I'm at work but leaving soon.

I managed to walk 2.5 before work today. Eating is still an issue for me but all the dairy is gone and I'll be allergy-food free for the rest of the week. Lots of beans, soy, organic turkey & chicken, salmon, veggies, & fruit. Hope it helps.

Sarita....the sugar is out of the house :D

10. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Well at the end of day #3, I only ate something twice and I would only consider one of those times an actual meal (unless a yogurt counts?). I was completely wiped out after my ENG test, though I didnt feel that dizzy at the time, so no exercise either. Im back on my meds though and feel a lot better so I will get back in the swing of things tomorrow.

11. Titus

Titus New Member

dreamer.....if you really want to get your appetite back, try Remeron. I never weighed more than 107 until I was in my late 40s. Remeron put 20 pounds on me over a few months and I crave food all the time.

Sarita, I know it isn't about the food (I watch Dr. Phil :D). But for me it IS about the food and that f'ing pill I have to swallow every night that makes me crave sugar like any other type of drug addict. Carbs are my fix. So do I have the willpower to feel better? I'm not sure, right now. I know that when I stop sugar and refined carbs, I feel better. I know I'm allergic to dairy. So many people have said JUST DO IT, including Dr. Rotstein.

12. Rick

Rick New Member

...Why are refined sugars and deserts unhealthy? From un-needed calories I can understand but from a metabolic syndrome perspective, Rice and potatoes hurt me more than refined sugars and if the dessert is dairy based I'm ok. I hear people all the time say they are goingto eat healthy and cut out sugar and then eat a baked potato. That's why I had such a hard time when I used to try to eat "Healthy". My MM symptoms would always flare up and I felt the best when I ate bad foods.
    ...I finally figured out that it was the potatoes and rice that was spiking my blood sugar levels, my insulin levels, and causing hypoglycemia which triggered the vertigo. Since following the Glycemic Index, I haven't had any more of those problems. But refined sugars are "empty "calories which should be used sparingly.
    Rick

13. charisse

Kim,

When I get down there I'll whip you into shape :D Gonna workout again today. Oh yeah my mom is on a med that makes her crave sugar, nasty meds. She puts sugar on sweeten cereal :D

14. charisse

Good to see you Rick,

I agree, I feel better not eating potatoes white rice, brown does not bother me. I stay away from anything made of white flour also. I have to eat real simple and I like it that way, no cravings any longer ;)

15. kim

kim New Member

I have a back injury which became worse after a recent car accident. I am currently in Physical Therapy and commit to practicing my exercises at home between sessions. I know the pt will not fix my back, but it might help to strengthen my core muscles. Keeping my food real clean. Love the thread and having a place to commit to something makes me feel accountable. Good luck to all as we work on becoming the best we can be.

16. Titus

Titus New Member

Rick, nice to see you :)

Rick, My blood sugar is very level. I understand glycemic load. When I eat a baked potato, I make sure I eat it with a healthy fat, usually avacado, a protein, and some extra fiber. Refined sugar is not good for ME. It messes with my fibromyalgia and depression. There was a study done once that showed refined sugar and wheat were triggers for depression in a good percentage of people with brain chemistry problems. They don't know why. Neither do I but it holds true with me.

The reason a piece of chocolate cake doesn't increase most people's blood sugar as fast as orange juice is that the cake has some fat, and a bit of protein, but mostly fat. I'd rather have the cake, but for me, the OJ is healthier. That's because I have a great pancreas, I'm at a normal weight, I exercise, and I know my body. We need to consider heart health and other issues when formulating a nutrition plan.

Back to nutrition. What you put into your mouth affects, among many other things, brain chemistry. Protein is a building block of seratonin because it contains tryptophan. However, your body needs carbs for the amino acid to convert to seratonin and cross the blood/brain barrier.

Hey, at least I didn't piss away ALL that money on my abruptly-ended doctorate in naturopathic health :D

PS. For those of you who aren't dairy, chocolate, and sugar sensitive here is something worthwhile. If you crave chocolate cake or ice cream, buy some Greek Yogurt, add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa, and sweeten to taste. Want to make it even healthier? Use fat-free, organic Greek Yogurt, add a tablespoon of flaxoil, organic cocoa (it's loaded with fiber) and sweeten it with Stevia. Please don't use Splenda or, if you do, don't tell me about it. :D

Now Randi, I know you're listening because I mentioned chocolate :D

Charisse, I'm holding you to it. Will you rub my shoulders, too?

I'm taking the dog on a walk now. I had no idea how hard it would be to give up dairy. And Ranier cherries sure ain't a Newman's organic chocolate bar :D

Well, giving up dairy probably means I can stop using Fleet enemas for awhile :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Day #4 and Im back on track. I ate three small meals. I also did over an hour of yoga and strength building exercises. To celebrate I even ate a scoop of my favorite lemon frozen yogurt :). I feel much better than I have the past couple of days...thanks everyone for the encouragement!

18. Alfie

Alfie New Member

Kim...
    Yep I am here tonight!
    In my efforts to cut my very meager budget, I don't have internet at home any more :mad:. I don't even have a cell phone. Now if I could just move back to the countryside and I was twenty years younger and cell phones and internet weren't common place and I was well and thin. OK, perhaps I broke some rules about looking back, but knowing that I very easily did without a cell phone and internet then helps me cope without them now. Today I picked up my daughter's old answering machine, so I now have a way to leave a message! I just have a basic no frills phone line and use a card for long distance.

I go to the library to use the internet, on their computers or they have WI FI for my laptop. The library is less than a mile from home. Gets me out, too!

Chocolate isn't my downfall lately-it is bread and butter. I have found a wonderful sourdough and toasted with real butter-AHHHHHHH!!!!! Fruits like cantalope, strawberries, watermelons and cherries round out my diet.

I did accomplish my goal of getting to the doctors office. She is running some tests to see if my fatigue is in my body's systems or a matter of inertia and extra weight (of belly, butt and BRAIN!) Once I get the go ahead I need to figure out what I am going to do to exercise. It gets up to 100 these days and I simply can not tolerate being hot. It is not that I am a sissy-I just can't do it. I have lived in Alberta and Wyoming and that suits me fine-I would rather be cold than hot. Kim and I could nver live in the same place--she can't get cold.

So my other goal was to journal more, and I haven't done any, but this extra long post counts towards that ;). Thanks to anyone who has read this far.
    R.

19. charisse

Kim,

I'll give you a nice shoulder rub when I get there ;) Worked out every day this week :D I'm up to 30 min. on the tread mill with a 3% incline and level 3 speed. I do the weights also and I lost about 12 lbs while on the trip and after ;D 10 more and I'll be back to the wt I was before I got sick.

20. Titus

Titus New Member

WOW, Charisse. You inspire me. I'm on Day #3 without dairy.

Walked 2.5 this morning. Just now I did about 30 minutes of stretches. Drank so much water it feels like I'm going to throw up :D