WELLNESS THREAD - WEEK OF JULY 20

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Titus, Jul 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

Hello everyone....I thought I'd get an early start. My brain has been full of ideas on where I should begin on my personal wellness journey. The first week is always the hardest for me because I usually take on more than I should. We all know that can set us up for failure.

For week #1 I decided to cut out some unhealthy things from my life and replace those unhealthy things with healthy things. SO.....bye bye refined sugars and desserts. This includes the organic sugar and cocoa I dump in my Greek yogurt, making it taste like a dish of ice cream.....every day :D Also, no wheat, eggs, peanuts, and carrots (food allergies) for this week. Three healthy meals to include lean protein, good fat (only Omega 3, olive oil, walnuts,and avacado), whole grains only in the form of oats and organic popcorn and lots of healthy veggies and fruit. It's mostly what I eat anyway, except no slipping by going out for meals and desserts.

Exercise: I usually walk 2.5 miles each morning before breakfast. I'm adding to it 15 minutes of stretching, before lunch and another short walk with the dog before dinner.

That's my goal for the first week.....one day at a time.

Kim

2. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

I've been working out and want to go every day this week. I only need to lose about 10 lbs at this point but I want the energy more and excersize is the best for that. I also want to think more positive, I am going through the ups and downs of meno right now and its tough with MAV on top so I shall push out the negative thoughts more so this week. I always said when I was young, I wanted to be one of those really sweet grandmas, you know, the ones that are always happy :D I need to turn it around cause I'm gonna end up being the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz :D

3. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

going to start walking again, don't know how far and don't care. Just walk. I love my body and want to love it even more.

4. jabber

jabber New Member

I'm going through a very rough patch right now with a nasty CFS flare up, better this than a MM flare up, however,- it does and can rob you of a lot of the same things MM does.
    I should be concerned about weight and one day when this has run it's course I probably will, but my goal is to try to stay on my feet and awake long enough to do a little bit more today than I did yesterday sort of thing.
    Hopefully with a bit of a push and a little shove from here, I'll accomplish that.
    AND good luck to everyone else with their goals.
    Loretta

5. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Good on you Kim and everyone here!

I am going to draw a big circle with a little circle within it. In the big circle I'm going to write all the things in the world that concern me but I have no control over. In the middle circle, I'm going to write all the things that concern me that I do have control over. Then I'm going to focus on and celebrate the things in the middle circle and trust that the rest will look after itself!

Oh, and at some point, I think I'll retire 'mnme' and become 'just Lee' in recognition that I have moved on. :)

Go us!

6. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Me too double gulp :D

Oh yeah about the water. When we were went to the Oregon meet up I was drinking much more water felt more energy and lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks. I need to drink way more water at home now that I'm back. I use to drink more water when I was training folks at the gym, just got away from it. If you want to lose wt. gain energy flush out the crap drink more H2o.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

Loretta,
    I understand how you feel. I have CFS also and when my body starts to rebel, I just want it to go away. Be gentle with yourself. I have you in my prayers.

Lee, I'd try the circles but I fear I'd be writing all night.....there are so many things out of my control that I'd like to control :D Maybe I'll try the circles tomorrow.

Tonight, I'll drink a HUGE glass of water and hope I don't wet the bed :D

I still have enough chicken chili and greens for tomorrow's lunch/dinner. I might have to throw away the sugar like I did the ice cream, Sarita :D

Charisse....I need you to come down and be my personal trainer :D

OK, took my med, now off to bed :)

See you all tomorrow.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Paul, I'll be thinking of you on my walk tomorrow :)

9. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

For me its walk walk walk,, I started a couple months ago and I have to stay at it,, I know its working cause I don't fall in the ditch no more!!!

10. pardonme

pardonme Guest

11. June-

June- New Member

I need to lose 10-20 lbs. Besides cosmetics, I had a high fasting blood sugar though my a1c is good. I am borderline type 2 and don't want to take medicines. I have been exercising an hour a day for several months. This is the first summer in 3 years my ankles didn't swell and I think it's the exercise. I just over eat. Need to get that in hand. That needs to be my focus now.

12. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I WILL GO BACK TO THE GYM THIS WEEK!!!!!

I haven't gone since we got back from Oregon....I just haven't felt well.

But since it's a medically-supervised gym, I guess they can handle it if I fall over sideways.... :D

13. sparrow

sparrow Guest

Wow, I need to take a nap after reading all this........... yawning........ lol. I did have a 5 hour nap this afternoon with my kitten and a good book tape.

Okay, I ate my way thru all the rest of the ice cream in the frig, been craving ice cream lately. I ate my way thru the cake w/icing and cookies too.

This week................ will be more mindful of what I eat, when I eat, how I eat. If emotion drives my eating. I will work on a new grocery list and think about the food that will support my health and where to go to get the healthiest food. Just in the planning stages now. If I jump into something right now, I'll just give up on it. So, starting slowly.

Added stretching today.

Sparrow

14. Janice

Janice New Member

OK well I have decided to join weight watchers.. am going to my first meeting tonight... am also going to start walking in the morning... don't know how far I'll get but it will be very dark @ 5.30am and I will take my dog and son with me. I have lots of weight to lose and today is the beginning of a new me!!!!!

15. Dixie Chick

Dixie Chick New Member

I am going to eat more fruits and vegies. I am going to try and have a salad for my lunches. I know it will help me loose more weight than I have lost.
    I have started doing more exercises. I cant walk that well right now my left knee is still bothering me. But I will try and walk more even if I have to take my cane along. I know when we go to Big Bear in Aug I will be doing alot of walking.
    I started riding my bike 25 min instead of 20 and every few weeks I am going to ride 5 min longer.
    Good luck every one and Paul I am glad you joined in. Good luck on the walking.
    C-u-all lighter in what ever you decide to do.
    Hugs

16. dreamer

dreamer New Member

I dont need to gain weight per se but I definately need to stop losing it. I have been steadily losing weight due to constant nausea and medication for headaches that has cut my appetite. Starting today I will eat no matter how I feel, even if its something small, at least three times a day. Im also going to start up a schedule for walking and yoga to assist with my balance issues. 4-5 times a week alternating between the two sounds like a plan to me.

17. Bastet

Bastet New Member

Day #1 Week #1

I'm going to start losing all this weight I've gained. I'll walk, work with weights again and watch what I eat, nothing drastic, just a little at a time.

18. scarflady

scarflady Member since 2001 Princess And The Pea Dumbass

I've been walking more (weather permitting). I used to run several miles everyday but the balance sucks now and I've fallen a few times. The walking seems to help me with my balance for some reason. It also gives me more energy for later in the day. hmmmmmmm maybe something there I don't know about?????

19. mel b

mel b New Member

This is just the motivation I need!

This week I will walk 5 days! I also want to start 'catering' a little bit more to my wonderful husband (who often gets ignored w. our 3 lil ones he contends with). I loved the previously mentioned circle idea- Im gonna do that right now! Good luck everybody!

20. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

day 1....no goodies in the morning with my tea..... killed me but I made it.... Thank GOD I was busy 14 -9/10th's lbs to go.