water

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by RIAK, Feb 16, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. RIAK

RIAK New Member

2. libr

libr New Member

I don't know about bottled waters. I have read that some locations have 6-7 mg of sodium per ounce which would be about 450mg per day if you drank the 8 cups of water that is recommended. So, one of the first things I did when I learned that I needed to stick to a very low sodium diet was to contact my water utility provider. Turns out that the water for Seattle (and neighboring city where I live) is so low in sodium as to virtually have none. It's also got no bad tastes, so I can drink it without worry.

Cheers,
    Sean

3. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

The label on my bottled water says sodium free. I usually drink Aquafina.

4. RIAK

RIAK New Member

5. Janice

Janice New Member

bottled water?? what's wrong with good old tap water.

6. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

I drink tap water all the time and no problems so far.

7. jrw

jrw New Member

Tap water is my choice. But don't drink the softened kind. Mayo web site has an article on sodium intake cautions for softened water. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

8. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

It will say the sodium content on the nutrition facts on the bottle of water. I have never actually bought a bottle of water that had more than 0% of the daily allowance of sodium. Most just don't have any sodium at all (spring water and filtered water). I think the problem might come with mineral water? I don't know.

9. Janice

Janice New Member

I drink tap water - unless I am out and run out of water and have to buy a bottle - have never had a problem with sodium - I don't drink soft drink at all - only straight water and the occasional soda water.

10. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

We talked to our water dept and FL water does have trace deposits of sodium in it. Plus, in my opinion it doesn't taste good. We filter the tap water and I use bottled for "on-the-go" convenience. However with all of the flap over the nasty things in the plastic bottles, I guess we need to start rethinking that decision as well!

11. cherylmcgr

cherylmcgr New Member

The flavored water has sodium in it. I was drinking it like crazy before i noticed it. We have a well so I do not drink our tap water because it has tons of sodium. Regular bottle water does not.
    Cheryl

12. burd

burd New Member

I recently bought a Brita water filter, the kind that is a pitcher that sits on the countertop. Oh my it tastes soooooo good! I enjoy water again and I don't have to keep buying plastic bottled water or drink the crappy water from the faucet (it tates awful where I live). Buy a "safe" refillable bottle, as many plastics leech nasty chemicals into the water, and keep refilling with the Brita filtered water.

13. Liz

Liz New Member

We purchased a Nikken AquaPour that fits on top of our water dispenser (they also have one that sits on the counter). It has a great filter system. You use your own tap water to fill rather than the pricey (and bundlesome!) already filled bottled water. You have to pay the water bill anyway - why not use your own water unless it has been tested to have unsatisfactory amounts of sodium. It is great, we refill water jugs and water bottles - take them everywhere with us.

14. Pluto

Pluto New Member

If you're refilling water bottles and jugs, I think you want to occasionally wash them out with some bleach solution. As in, put some bleach in your dish water and wash them out. There have been articles in the past about e coli contaminations, etc., with plastic bottles and jugs that have not been washed.