!WARNING AZITHROMYCIN!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Samara, Sep 3, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Samara

Samara New Member

Hello people,

I recently had a bacterial infection that required a heavy duty antibiotic. I was allergic to doxycycline so I had to take Azithromycin. I have made many efforts to stay away from this family of antibiotics because of their potential ototoxic effects. I thought I would be ok but after three days my ears went nuts. I had to stay on it for five so I stuck it out but now I wish I hadn't. My tinnitus has been loud and miserable again after three years of a reprieve from LLLT. I think I can get it to calm back down eventually but please be cautious if your doctor prescribes it. Hearing issues are usually reversible but in some cases are not. Anyway, just wanted to pass on this warning!!!! Stay away from that stuff if you can!!!!!!

2. Donamo

Donamo Guest

Thank you for the warning Samara. Let's hope this current problem ends quickly!

don

3. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

so sorry to hear your going through this.I have taken it numerous times w no ill effect.Guess it effects everyone differently.Thanks for the heads up though..feel better :)

4. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Any antibiotic in the "mycin" family is a threat for anyone with MM or other inner ear and/or dizzy-balance issues. Hlowever, you have to weigh the odds. If it means your life, a short run usually is ok.

5. Samara

Samara New Member

It's getting better so it looks like damage was not permanent but very scary. It is rare to have permanent damage but some people do. Better to stay away from it I think if you can!

6. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

Always got the tinnitus side effect with that even before obvious symptomology. Like clockwork starts on day three and died down a few days later

7. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

wow...I never knew this..I'm on it a couple times a year.Maybe that's a no no and i should ask for something else.

8. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

That's the family of antibiotics that Im not generally alergic to.... super duper...