Vitamin D3

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Patricia A, Sep 17, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Fair call. But some of JOH's stuff is wacko. Sun beds?!?!

Edit: Woops! Sun beds isn't him is it? It's those Vit D council people. They are wackos then.

2. June-

June- New Member

I address this to everyone who is making personal attacks.

Is there some reason it is necessary to call people names and make personal attacks rather than simply addressing the facts themselves? Do you think that personal attacks add weight to your argument?

3. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

June - I just edited before you posted, realising own error. The wackos are the Vit D council people, not him. Sun bed advocacy is truly wacko IMO.

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

There isn't. And they don't.

5. June-

June- New Member

Is there some reason you don't simply state your concern or questions about sun bed advocacy instead of calling it or the people with whom you disagree wacko?

6. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

For sun beds? No. It's so wacko it's beyond just being a question or concern. There are no benefits to sun beds unless you are looking to get skin cancer and an early death along with a tan. A nicely tanned corpse.

7. June-

June- New Member

Is there some reason you do not wish to state the information you have on this subject in a dispassionate way so that people can judge for themselves?

8. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

What's dispasssionate about dying because you're so shallow and vain you want a tan? Just get it from a bottle if it means that much.

And I don't have a bunch of stats or studies, sorry. Have just heard stuff on 60 mins etc. Even one death (i.e anecdotal) from getting a freakin' tan from a sun bed is one too many.

9. June-

June- New Member

That is useful to have the source of your information so others can judge how they want to incorporate it into their risk/reward assessment of choices in life.

Some people might avoid the risks of drinking but be willing to accept the risks of tanning beds or vice versa. We make these kinds of choices every day, all day long in life.

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

OK, so I just did a quick Google search on "skin cancer and tanning beds". The "benefits" look very very slim when compared with the risks - primarily death. Here's the first three links:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32187497/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning_bed

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopics/a/tanboothworthit.htm

11. June-

June- New Member

THanks, I think that is information people can factor in to their decision.

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio New Member

This is not a tanning or skin cancer Internet site. Neither I nor anyone else on this board has proposed that anyone sit in a tanning booth for any reason whatsoever.

Let's get back to Meniere's and things directly related to this disease, which might, very peripherally, even involve vitamin D-enhanced autoimmunity. But tanning beds and skin cancer are utter irrelevancies. Those choosing to elaborate on those two topics will become irrelevant themselves.

Again, this is Meniere's board. Let's stick to the subject, as broad as it might be. Skin cancer and tanning beds are irrelevant altogether.

--John of Ohio

13. studio34

studio34 Guest

It's not irrelevant if you are advocating increasing vit D and sending people to the vit D council site for information (you've posted the link many times on many threads) on doing so where they advise to lie on a sun bed "regularly". You might want to give people the heads up next time you post that link. That's reasonable.

S

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

You can't be serious. I just checked back through this whole thread and not once did you even mention the word Meniere's. Not once. You talked about safe dosages, rebutted claims of liver problems and then talked about the benefits of Vit D for 'the big five', talked about the Vit D council etc. But not Meniere's. So, you know, one in all in. Or not.

Given that the website you direct people to DOES talk about tanning beds as a good way to get Vit D (which you promote) then, as evidenced in this thread, MANY people consider it a relevant discussion point. You are not a moderator here. People are free to discuss what they want. If you want to keep discussion solely to Meniere's then please impose that restriction on yourself first.

15. solari

solari Administrator Staff Member

Guys, enough is enough.

You will simply have to agree to disagree and leave things as they are. Stop following each other around and dispute each others posts all the time. It is, as others have pointed out, unproductive and a waste of time as well as the resources of this forum.

It's time to move on and stop.

Thanks,
    Ray