viral panel / immunological approach

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Irelandman, Feb 5, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

5 years here

2. Jordan

Jordan New Member

When my husband first had symptoms of Meniere's one of the first things his doctor tested him for was B12 deficiency. It is very common where we live and can cause all the symptoms of Meniere's. What Taximom is saying is that you may have been diagnosed with Meniere's and actually just be suffering from something simple like a vitamin deficiency that can easily be corrected. Most ENTs will not check for this, so it is up to you to request the test and see if that may be your problem.

3. Jordan

Jordan New Member

No, it is not what happened to my husband, but the doctor did suggest that B12 deficiency could be the cause of his symptoms. This was before he did more extensive testing. In fact, my husband's B12 is on the low side, and he did take B12 for about a month before he decided to stop. My husband's case is definitely viral, and his symptoms have abated with the use of antivirals. In my opinion, it would have been a good idea to continue taking B12, but he is pretty tired of taking pills and does not want to take more. I don't really know much about B12 deficiency, but Taximom certainly does. If there are even a few people here who can benefit from taking B12, then I think it is worth looking into.

4. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Jordan, I am glad that you answered before I did. Mine was not so nice.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Are you pretending to be this dense? :D

We all know that many conditions mimic Meniere's Disease. It is much better to figure out what the underlying condition is rather than have a laby or a VNS or take Valium, Xanax, smoke pot, load up on alcohol etc.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is a big deal. How is it that someone like you who reads all these fancy science journals and uses big cytokine words can't understand this?

You just want to be difficult, yeah? :p

6. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

More interesting??? How can anything be more interesting than that? Someone should alert the media.

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I can't speak for TM but from what I understand, she says a B-12 deficiency can cause MM-like symptoms, not MM itself.

She suggests people have a complete check up (both physical and blood work) to rule out things such as Celiac disease or B-12 deficiency or thyroid problems, before accepting a hasty Meniere's Disease diagnosis.

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I'm glad to see that what I have suggested is so easily understood. :)

9. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

What could be more interesting than water heaters?

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Our letters of the alphabet :D

11. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

We should alert the media, then :D

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Tell them about the WA Eugenics movement while you're at it.

13. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I don't want to interrupt and this may not have anything to do with anything, but I've been dx with MM by at least four different doctors, my first one in Ca, one at UCSF, a House-trained physician and a Duke University Neurotologist and I only have three of the symptoms. The absence of vertigo, I believe was attributed to pre-existing hearing loss/vestibular damage. In other words, it looked like my vestibular system burned out before the disease kicked in.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I've never had all 4 going on at once. However, I do have all four symptoms. Someone on this forum keeps insisting it's MAV because I have migraines, but my official diagnosis (two otoneurologists and one ENT plus all the testing) indicate Meniere's.

15. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Sometimes I think we'll never actually know. I know that when I'm sick, I want relief no matter what it is called.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Look, you've either got 'em hooked or not. Your verbiage means little when you're unwilling to actually provide any answers (well, except "I don't know without getting deeply involved", cha-ching).

Get a viral panel.
    You doctor should know which ones.
    I don't know which ones, they're all different
    only a virologist/immunoligist can properly interpret the panel.
    all labs have their own limits on what's considered normal and ab-normal
    re-read everything I've said because it's in there, somewhere.
    I've said that before
    I've said that before
    I've said that before

You are the one who is frustrating. You spew words which, I hope, at least you know the meanings of. I'm not frustrated with my condition. It's there and there's not much reliable out there that can help with all the symptoms. My frustration, if you've missed what I've said, comes from a person (you) who 'feels deeply' for those afflicted but decides to seek us out to find us the answer rather than the other way around.. It's historically a given that we seek our own doctors not the other way around.

When I start hearing your name and seeing medical journels with your findings in it - maybe I'll give you a hollar. Until then, please start your own website. People who believe strongly in you and want your help will seek you out.

People, what has he said that has helped you? Oh, that's right, you have to sign a confidentiality agreement...strange, really strange...

No wonder this topic, and others, has gotten off topic so many times it is as redundant as the others (was that redundant or what :p).

I'd rather go to Taximom, Hank, JOH, Papa Joe or anybody else who gives their information openly and freely even if it doesn't help every person - at least they're honest.

Sorry angela - I know you really like the guy and I really respect you a lot but I just can't get on board with what he's trying to accomplish.

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I had that exact thought today. I have no idea how I got through a full day of work. I was dying inside from a really bad flare up of symptoms. My feet hurt from gripping my shoes so hard and my leg muscles ache like I ran for miles just from the tension of holding them so firmly to not fall over. When I came home I took a nap but the rocking, bobbing and rolling were way too much to handle so I left the house, walked around the block, cried my eyes out and came home feeling even worse than before :D

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Brilliantly stated!

19. studio_34

studio_34 Guest

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,29072.0.html

20. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

You may be right. We won't know until someone posts about their results or you publish your work. Either way, like you've said, it's a matter of waiting.