VIP Recipes for Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Wobbles, Sep 5, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I thought I’d start a thread in which we could collect recipes that are aimed for those who want to eat in the vegetarian style, in particular recipes that are high in protein. (VIP = Vegetables Include Proteins) I hope you will add to this collection with your ideas on how to eat in a healthy way.

Regarding salt use, that is something that we all need to decide on our own. For the dish that follows, I aim for 300 mg of sodium per serving. I would add about ¾ teaspoon (1800 mg) of salt. Sometimes I add sodium by using soya sauce. That would work in this recipe. I always taste my soups at the end to see if any additional souring or sweetening would help. A few teaspoons of lemon can make a dish come to life. This recipe does not need this addition because of the presence of orange juice, which is both sweet and sour. But one could drop the orange juice altogether and go with lemon or lime juice, adding brown sugar if so desired.

This recipe gets its protein primarily from the beans. But there is added protein in choice of topping. In trying to get complete protein, it is important to complement bean protein with protein from grains or dairy products. This recipe does that.

The following recipe is a variation on a recipe that I found in a Moosewood cookbook. I cooked earlier in the week, froze the extra and served to luncheon guests today. Everybody liked. It is very tasty.

Joe

Brazilian Turtle (Bean) Soup

2 cups dried black beans (Turtle Beans)
    4 cups water
    1 Tbs. Olive Oil
    2 onions, chopped
    8 garlic coves, minced
    2 carrots, diced
    1 Bell pepper, chopped
    1 hot green pepper, chopped (deseed for less heat)
    2 tsp. cumin
    cayenne pepper, to taste
    2 cups tomato (two medium tomatoes)
    2 cups frozen corn
    salt and pepper, to taste
    toppings: cheese, sour cream, corn tortillas, cilantro, parsely, etc.)

1. Prepare beans by washing thoroughly and removing any small stones. Let beans soak over night in 8 cups water or use hot soak method of boiling beans for 2 minutes in covered pot and then letting stand for four hours. Discard soaking fluid, rinse beans and then add four cups of water; cover pot, reestablish boil and simmer gently for 1 and 1/4 hours until beans are soft.

2. Heat oil in large skillet. Sauté carrots, bell pepper and onions until nearly tender; add hot pepper and garlic; sauté for a few minute more. Add cumin, salt and pepper; stir. Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Add skillet contents to beans; add orange juice and frozen corn. Reestablish simmer and cook until corn is tender, another 10 to 15 minutes. Purée part or all of soup in blender or food processor. Adjust seasoning.

4. Add your choice of toppings and serve with corn bread or whole wheat.

Serves 6 to 8

2. Sheri61

Sheri61 New Member

Sounds delicious, Joe! I will pull out some of my favorites tomorrow and post a few.Thank you for starting this thread. :)

3. jrw

jrw New Member

That is interesting. Never would have thought to add hot peppers to soup.