Vestibular Implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gene P, Oct 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Thanks so much for update, great to hear how well you're doing already!!!! Can't wait to hear more....

2. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

Prayers for Gene and that this works for everyone!

3. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Hello again folks...it's 5 days out from the surgery and I thought I'd send out a short update. I've had dizziness and some vertigo since then, worst that my shunt surgery in 2009, but beginning to feel better today. I still have trouble focusing (eyes) after moving my head too fast, but expect this to pass.

I return to the UW Medical Center this Friday to have the stitches and dressing removed and expect the first real testing of the implant to begin in about 3 weeks. Can't wait for the vertigo inducing effort that testing will most certainly entail, but it is necessary to put the device through its paces and fine tune it for me. Since monkeys can only offer so much feedback, it will be this testing that should begin to prove the technology in a tangible way. I learned the day before the surgery that one reason I was selected to be the first, other than my williness to take risks (old mountain climbing career coming back to haunt me) is that I have an analytical and technical background. This will be important during the testing period, as the doctors will have only so much insight into what is working and what I am feeling. I will need to be able to maniplulate the electronics package and assist in the testing.

When we get to that stage, I will begin a new update thread so that is is easiler to follow.

That's about it for now,

Best regards,

Gene

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Thanks Gene. Wishing you continued success.

5. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

You are very brave, Gene! Thanks for all you are doing :)

Prayers-

KT

6. tm53

tm53 New Member

Thanks Gene P.

7. hurricaneone

hurricaneone New Member

Thank you Gene. It is people like you and others on our board that truly make a difference for so many.My prayer is that this is the begining of the end for menieres as we know it.In a few years or sooner hopefully we can put a stop to the suffering menieres patients go thru. Again Thank You.

8. Butterfly

Butterfly I will learn to fly agian.

Thank you Gene for posting. :)

9. June-

June- New Member

Gene, wishing you a speedy recovery and great success with this. Thanks for letting us know how it is going.

10. james

james ''Everywhere I go there I am'' GS

Thanks Gene! Glad you are doing well.It sounds like the docs chose very wisely when they selected you to be first.

11. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

This is so exciting - being the first! Heal quickly and completely. We are all waiting to hear the good news that this has been a success.

12. jools

jools Guest

I admire your bravery in agreeing to to this, no-one likes the vertigo so to have it induced takes a lot of guts. Good luck on Friday and good luck with the first rounds of tests in 3 weeks. I'm sure I'm not the only one to say we are all waiting with baited breath and hoping that this works.

13. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

Good luck Gene!

14. CGR

CGR Guest

Wow, if this thing works, it changes everything, and not just for menieres folks. :)

15. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

Exactly my thoughts. I do not suffer vertigo yet but I can just imagine the suffering it would relieve....not to mention the stress of those of us who are afraid of getting vertigo. In my own mind, I could handle vertigo better knowing there is a cure if it gets bad enough. I pray so hard that this is a major breakthrough. If they can put rovers on Mars, surely this can work.:) It has the potential of making Meniere's a shark with no teeth. Not that deafness and tinnitus are nothing, but you know what I mean.

16. CGR

CGR Guest

I know what you mean. And let me tell you from personal experience that being deaf on one side isn't that bad. I have zero hearing on my left side and while it was disconcerting the first few months (it happened overnight), it hasn't really affected my quality of life. Tinnitus is annoying, but i think the supplements help with that. Anything is better than the vertigo. :)

17. gnutten

gnutten Markus

Prayers to Gene for a speedy recovery with no complications. :)

18. travelershe

travelershe Quinn the eskimo/ foster puppy

Waiting with anticipation if this has a chance in humans......praying.........

19. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

Waiting for the next update hoping you're better each day! Hoping tomorrow return to the doctor is a good one! Pleae thank your wife for all of us too for being by your side!!

20. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

I'm sorry to hear you have lost hearing in that ear. I'm still at the point where mine fluctuates. I find it hard to cope with at times given that I cannot "get used" to being deaf since it keeps coming back. I know it sounds horrible but part of me just wants it to stay gone so I can start adjusting. The other part of me thanks God when it returns....:)