Vestibular Implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gene P, Oct 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Well Folks, it's now been 7 months without vertigo. Life is bliss! Still have no idea why, but I'm not complaining. In May I had, what I describe as a pre-vertigo attack. Felt weird, but not full blown vertigo. I used the implant for the first time, just to see if it would help the symptons. Ran it on the lowest setting for about an hour and I did feel better. I can't say this was a true test of the device, but its all I have.

I have no idea why I have been in remission so long. Maybe scare tissue from the operation, maybe the electrodes implanted in my inner ear is blocking them? I can't figure it out. I do know that it is great!! I have finally got my sea legs back and no longer have the disconnect between my eyes and brain/balance, although I think it is going to be awhile before I'm snow skiing again. I still have a problem when I drive over railroad tracks or bumpy roads. Really drives me, but I continue to adjust and it is getting better.

Sorry I can't fully report that the implant is working. The only negative about all of this is that I lost all of my hearing in my right ear from the operation. I had 45% hearing before. This was a known possible outcome (10% possibility). But it's an OK trade off in my book if I never have to deal with the vertigo again. My doctor still believes the vertigo will return, so I expect to be able to fully test the device at some point.

Until then, my best to all of you.

Gene

2. June-

June- New Member

Thanks for the report Gene! So glad you are having such good luck. It may be your case will tell the doctors something they hadn't even thought of before. But the best news is you have your life back.

I am deaf in one ear from an operation 14 years ago. It's no biggie. Just remember to look both ways when you cross the street because you aren't going to realize where that car noise is coming from.

3. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Thanks for the update Gene. Glad you are still vertigo free. I hope that lasts for you. Sorry about the hearing loss, but I agree with you. I would gladly trade hearing for no vertigo.

Bob

4. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Good luck gene

5. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

gene,
    i remember last year before my gent, even when i was not having vertigo attacks i felt bad all the time with dizziness/nausea etc. does the implant potentially help with any of this?

6. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Irelandman,

It helped with the symptons that I was having which may have been close to what you described. However, I would not consider this a true test of the device's potential.

Gene

7. Irelandman

Irelandman Guest

gene, does that mean if you are feeling crappy/dizzy/nausea etc etc that you just press the button and the world is alright again?

8. Kee

Kee Guest

Gene, are you the only test patient? I thought there were more? Has any of them had any success with the device? If you are the only person, then why aren't they putting it into more patients to get a better sample?

9. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Folks,

Better late than never.

I'm still in remission with no vertigo in over a year. Was able to take my first vacation in 7 years, which was great. I return to the UW for further testing on Jan 5th.

Not much to report, but there it is.

My best to all of you!

Gene

10. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

It's good to hear that you are in remission from the vertigo. Thanks for the update :)

11. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

That's terrific news!

I'm so happy for you.

I wish every MM Treatment worked the same for everybody. Sighs.

12. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

May your remission continue forever.

13. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Well said sea dog!

14. Running Dizzy

Running Dizzy New Member

Gene, I'm so glad to know that you are still in remission with no vertigo. I also have been in remission myself after having a cochlear implant over 2 years ago.