Vestibular Implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gene P, Oct 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Caroline,

Nope...I've just not had an attack to test the implant on. Still waiting.

Gene

2. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

You ROCK Gene.

3. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Actually Seadog, I've not rocked for the last 11 days!

4. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

So far so good!!!

5. elmohassel

elmohassel New Member

I check here everyday also, Gene. Appreciate all the posts. Looking forward to finding out what this next month brings for you (and all of us).

6. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

wouldn't it be something if all the sudden you never get vertigo again.That would be great for you!Not so much for us though because then we wouldn't know if it worked....:)

7. CGR

CGR Guest

Cant they test it by making him spin?

8. jesseandalison

jesseandalison New Member

I think they have

9. Gene P

Gene P New Member

CGR,

Although, the researchers and doctors on this project at the UW, did use spinning as a way to generate nystigmus in the monkeys (Monkey's don't get Meniere's, but they can make them dizzy), and the device did work against the associated dizziness, spinning someone is not the same as a Meniere's vertigo attack. Jesseandalison is right in that they were able to generate nystigmus during the testing in me, but that is still a long way off from knowing if the implant will be successful against Meniere's caused vertigo. Hence, Patient #1 and a still experimental implant.

All that is needed now is for me to get an attack of vertigo and then we will see if the current configuration (software settings) in the external device that connects to the implant, which is connected to the electrodes implanted inside my vestibule, work to kill the attack. If not, then I get to go back to the UW and they will change the settings and we will wait for another attack. Again, a process.

Right now it's 12 days without vertigo and still waiting for an attack to test the implant. (not unusual for me as sometimes I get breathers from the vertigo that last up to 3-4 weeks, and then another wave of attacks hit.)

Gene

10. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

As a rule Gene we all pray for a time of remission from this crap.

So dont take this wrong but I hope you have not gone into remission.

11. CGR

CGR Guest

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't really mean to spin you literally in a chair or something. What i meant was to somehow trigger an attack (spin). For example, with my PLF, i was able to trigger attacks instantly on demand by doing certain things. But i understand MM is different. Can they do the hot/cold air in the ear to trigger an attack for you?

12. Gene P

Gene P New Member

CGR,

Gotcha...I've been tempted to go out to dinner and have a sodium high, just to trigger an attack, which would probably do it, but I've been low sodium (1,000 Mg/day) for so long, the thought of having a high sodium meal doesn't even sound good to me. Other than maybe that, I've not been able to trigger (that I can tell for sure) an attack.

No worries, the beast will most certainly return, as it always seems to do, and hopefully this time I will be able to slay it

Gene

13. Gene P

Gene P New Member

CGR,

I missed your last question. Yes, they did the hot/cold air test during my last testing day on 12/2 and it did not trigger an attack. I did not like that test...btw.

Gene

14. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Seadog,

I would be really surprised if I have gone into remission. But the Meniere's attacks do come in waves, which last for 3-5 days, and then I have periods of calm that may last as long as from 2-4 weeks. It's usually around 2 weeks however. So, I expect them to return at some point.

Gene

BTW, the doctors said it was possible that the surgery might put me into remission, which it did not do.

15. CGR

CGR Guest

yeah, i'm not fond of that test either. i wish you all the best. I hope this kills your beast for you and can be used to save 1000s of lives.

16. sjwo1

sjwo1 Hiking Utah

Bump...keeping Gene near the top of the list. Hang in there man. Like you I doubt an extended remission....since you had some spells since the implant but before activation. Sid.

17. gilbyandnanc

gilbyandnanc New Member

18. luckyswife

luckyswife New Member

where the heck is the vertigo?!lol

19. elmohassel

elmohassel New Member

Gene, Was wondering if maybe I could treat you to some Chinese take-out. (Then maybe we'll get some action around here!) Just kidding, of course. Hope you've been enjoying spin-free living.

20. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Chinese sounds pretty good actually. Still feeling fine, no vertigo yet. waiting, waiting waiting...

Gene