Vestibular Implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gene P, Oct 18, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gene P

Gene P New Member

WifesOnFloor,

I can't say that I am an expert on this, although, I'm a quick study at times. As you probably already know, there are three semi-circular canals in the inner ear, which act like a gyroscope, or like with flying, you have awe, pitch and roll for flight dynanics. The three canals act pretty much like that in telling the brain how one is moving and how to stay balanced. Menieres screws with these signals. I do know that with electrodes inserted into each canal, that when current is applied to each one I receive a different sensation of movement. It's most noticiable when my eyes are covered so that I have no outward sense of direction. Each electrode produces a different sense of movement, with the laterial canal giving me the sense of spinning on a merry-go-round. The other two canals may make me feel like I am being pushed in one direction or another. So, I guess then the theory is that if you can send artificial signals to the brain that you are moving in one direction or another, then when you have a vertigo attack, you can possibly cancel out the false signal caused by the attack by sending an artificial opposite signal, in this case through the implant. The controller lets me push a button with nine settings that lets me increase or decrease the current that is being sent to the vestibule.

I hope this helps. But remember, this is still theory. Until I have an attack and can try the device against real world vertigo we won't know for sure. At this point, we all should not have to wait too long to find out, however.

Gene

2. katzefrau

katzefrau New Member

We are waiting and crossing our fingers! Thanks for sharing and being our hero, Gene.

3. vikx

vikx New Member

Thank you Gene. VK

4. Gene P

Gene P New Member

From Tom47 on 11/23: "can the device help correct the daily dizziness that most of us experience. I'm not a doctor by any means, but if it can correct the wrong signals during a vertigo attack can it also correct(block) the bad signals we get during everyday dizziness?"

Tom47, in response to this question you asked back on 11/23, I have to say that I still do not have an answer for you after the recent testing. The reason is that I do not suffer from daily, on-going dizziness. I do have a problem, since the surgery, with imbalance and some dizziness when I am on my feet and walking, but this has been explained as being more related to an inflamed Labyrinth (from the surgery). It has been slowly gettng better over time and is expected to completely go away. This, I think, is very different than what you were describing, so I don't know. I do know, however, that the implant and external processor and controller is designed to work during the entire duration of a vertigo attack, which can be hours. I will be able to adjust the current to the electrodes going from the implant to my vestibular, as the attack changes from strong to weak, so that I can compensate with the right amount of reverse signal to the brain. Since the implant is a modified Cochlear implant, it can run for up to 5 days, I've been told, on a fresh set of AAA batteries. So, if it does work for the daily on-going dizziness then I know the unit can keep up.

I hope this is a better answer, or non-answer, to your question.

Gene

5. Gene P

Gene P New Member

WifesOnFloor,

Not completely right. The processor is only as smart as the software it is programed with. No AI involved in this right now. Its the testing that is giving the researchers the perimeters for the software and that is based on what they are learning about my ear and how the implant reacts in the lab. After that it will be my adjustment of the current depending on how severe the attack is that will hopefully control the veritgo. This is why I think this will be a process in the fine tuning of the software. Right now, they believe they have the right settings, but we really won't know until an attack and it is really tested. If it doesn't cancel out the vertigo, then it will be my feedback that will allow them to rethink and adjust the software for another try.

It's all new territory we are covering here, so it may take awhile to get it right. Then again, they may have it nailed already. We just need to wait and see.

Gene

6. mcdizzy

mcdizzy "Now Who's the Dumbass Dumbass"

Thank you sooooo much for sharing Gene.
    I pray for success for you and your wonderful doctors! This is most encouraging!!
    I realize a lot of testing is still to come but hope is a wonderful thing.
    Many ((hugs))

Becky

7. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Thanks Becky!!

8. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

Just wow! Good luck Gene!!! This is the first time I Have ever wished someone would get vertigo!! Well I wish you get it, then immediately kill it with the device!!!!

Praying for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Thanks One,

You and I are in the same camp on this one. I can't wait to be able to test this thing in my head!

Gene

And...Go Air Force!

10. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Gene - just wanted to say thanks for taking so much time to share this with us. We could not have asked for a better 'Patient #1'.

On the one hand, I would wish that you never get vertigo again for the rest of your life. On the other hand, well, y'know, I hope it goes well for you and the device exceeds expectations when it does happen.

Bob

11. Daize

Daize New Member

Gene. I agree and you are an inspiration to me and all of us. Hope all goes well and device works excellent for you. Thank you for sharing this journey of yours.

Ruth

12. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Gene. It's so exciting to read each and every one of your posts - totally fascinating stuff.

Can you please just clarify/confirm one point? You mentioned that currently the electrode in your lateral canal is being tested due to the fact that it is responsible for horizontal spinning (MM'ers most common type of vertigo). Did the surgeon place three electrodes, one in each canal, in case the other two need to be tested as well?

13. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Amethyst,

Yes, during surgery, an electrode was implanted inside each of my three semi-circular canals. Each one has triple redundantcy, so that should one electrode in a canal fail over time, there are two more in the same canal that can take over. It's just a matter of reprogramming the external processor (a little bigger than an external hearing aid) to point to that sensor. Although, electrodes were implanted in each canal, right now the programming is setup to only stimulate one of those canals. It is thought that the lateral canal is the main one that needs to be addressed. In most cases MM's sufferers describe horizontal spinning to the left. So, the implant is setup to tell the brain that I am spinning to the right, thereby cancelling out the bad signals being sent to the brain during an attack. I can control the amount of current sent to that electrode, so the more severe the attack, the more current I apply.

If needed the other electrodes can be added to the programing at a later date. The direction in which the electrode tells the brain I need to spin in order to cancel out the vertigo can also be changed.

The doctors are starting with the most common description of a vertigo attack and will add programming to the software if this does not do the trick. This is why I describe this as a process. Hopefully, they have guessed right the first time.

Gene

BTW...during the testing in the lab all of the electrodes were tested and all are working!!

14. Amethyst

Thanks very much for that easy to understand explanation. Interesting that researchers have found that most spin to the left. I remember the forum here has run polls on spinning direction but I'm not sure what the verdict was. It's good to hear that all the electrodes are already in place, and working, in case other canals need to be tested. Although I really hope that you find fast relief with this new tool, I also hope there is an opportunity to test the other canals on at least some of the other study participants. My own, atypical case, consists of violent vertigo attacks triggered by noise (Tullio's Phenonenon) and does not resemble the typical mm vertigo attack (which I also have but thankfully to a milder degree). In cases of noise induced vertigo the sensation of movement is fast moving front flips and back flips. I'm told that a very swollen saccule is the likely culprit and I gather one of the other semi-circular canals is to blame for the actual spins. Perhaps someday the technology will get to the point of being customizable for each patients' unique requirements. Exciting to watch it all unfold :)

15. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Amethyst,

During testing in the lab, one of the canals tested created the sensation of a back flip, or being pushed backwards, which tells me that it might be the canal that would need to be involved in your case, if you had this device. As I see it, the implant and associated electronics and programming can be customized today to the individual, hence the testing that takes place before the software is configured for the device. This is an assumption on my part. The doctors and researchers would need to confirm this, but I think it is a safe assumption based on my current knowledge of this technology.

Best regards,

Gene

16. Air Force One

Air Force One New Member

Boy Gene I can really see why they chose you as the first test subject. You are very good at verbalizing things, which I imagine is important in a test subject at this phase of things. Thank you for doing this for all of us!!! I would be scared to be the first.

And YES, GO AIR FORCE!!! :)

17. Amethyst

I agree. Thanks so much Gene!!!

18. Coach M

Coach M New Member

This is the first time I have read this thread. You are a champ Gene.

19. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Folks,

For those interested...it's been 11 full days since my last vertigo attack and I still feel fine, so nothing to report on how the implant works.

FYI...

Gene

20. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Gene - great news

Is it the implant that has stopped your vertigo attacks for 11 days?