Vegetarian Cashew Squash

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Shining, Aug 30, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Brown rice
    Low sodium vegetable broth
    cashew nut butter
    One carrot
    cilantro
    Olive oil
    1/4 cup chopped onions, if desired.

Cook the brown rice in just enough low sodium (I use organic) vegetable broth to cover it. Add more if needed to keep rice moist. Finely dice a carrot on top, add chopped onion, and add some chopped cilantro. This can be cooked in a steamer or on the stove. While that is cooking, cut an acorn squash in half, wash, remove the seeds, brush with olive oil and lay cut side down on a non-stick pan that has just a little bit of water in the bottom. Cook in the oven on 375 until tender, about 45 minutes. You can check with a toothpick. It is done if the pick goes all the way in down to the rind easily. When the rice mixture is done, add about 4-6 tablespoons of cashew nut butter and some more of the vegetable broth. The cashew nut butter should melt into the rice. If not, heat it a little. Stir well. It should be thick and sticky. Spoon this into the center of the cooked acorn squash halves. If you want a bit of a sweeter taste, sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top and serve. It takes a bit of time and effort, but it really is good! I think peanut butter would work, too (unless you have nut allergies).

2. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Oh....so THAT'S how it is! Squash recipe zero, pizza 16! LOLOL! For some reason that really cheers me up! :p

3. saltlesstears

saltlesstears New Member

Hey- Just saw this recipe. I LOVE IT!!! Love the cashew butter with the Acorn squash. Freshly grated nutmeg might be a nice touch at the end too.

Pizza VS Squash...........I LOVE BOTH!!!