Valium warning

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by studio34, Oct 22, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

gee, rusty, really? I hated it, made my ballance off??. used it only long ago when kicking heroin, along with lots of other depressant pharms, but addiction isn't the trouble: I'm now perhaos dying from a drug, a pharm I took more than 40 years ago. havn;t taken even asprin for more than 3 years now.

2. gert157

gert157 New Member

I took xanax several years ago for panic disorder...... That drug indeed was one for me anyway that I had to take more and more of as my tolerance built to the drug to get the same results....... I found after a long period of time, it tended to "change" me, I just didn't feel like myself, it was like it altered my personality... Weird, anyway I got off of it, no problems by the way with stopping the drug, I had no w/d problems.....
    Then in 96 when MM hit after trying many other things first my ent. suggested valium, it works for me...... Unlike xanax I do not have to take more and more to achieve the same results, it just does what it is supposed to do, settles things down vestibularly speaking... I do have days where I have to take an extra one here and there but the need to take an extra one is always explainable, it is stress or weather related, always........
    My ent. finds them to be safe and effective for holding the mm at bay when needed.. That is how I take them as needed.........

3. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

gert, on average how much do you use the valium? and how long have you gone without using it?

4. Kee

Kee Guest

Long-term is safe unless you're abusing it. Addiction and safety are two different issues. Don't conflate the two. Some people have been on benzos for 20 years daily.

5. Kee

Kee Guest

Gert, tolerance buildup is common when used for mental illness. Not so much for vestibular disorders.

6. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

Duncan, what I kept reading about was physical addiction. If you take it long term, it does something to the GABA in your brain, and when you come off it, especially suddenly after long term use, it's SCARY. I'm trying to figure it all out before I have an issue with it.

I'm happy to hear tolerance doesn't build up for vestibular issues. I did read that it does for anxiety.

7. Kee

Kee Guest

Yes, if you take it long term at moderate to high dosages, then you will have to taper off slowly. Some find that worse than others.

8. Kee

Kee Guest

Not to be picky, but using the term "brain" in your sentence is misleading. Certainly, parts of your brain do distinguish between taking Valium for a vestibular disorder or taking it to soothe anxiety. Perhaps you were referring to the individual GABA(a) receptors?

Alcohol is an addiction for about 10% of the population that drinks alcohol. Addiction to long-term use of benzos runs from 50-100%, depending on the study.(1)

However, according to Professor Heather Ashton, almost all patients can withdraw successfully from benzos with the proper approach.(2)

(1) Gabbard, Glen O. (15 May 2007). Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders, Fourth Edition (Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders). American Psychiatric Publishing. pp. 209–211.

(2) http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

9. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Yeah, really.

I'm sorry to hear you are dying.

I just wanted to relate my personal experiences in support of the doctors concerned with possible addiction. I know it depends on the person.

I know another person who hates the stuff becauses it makes them feel adjitated , rather than relaxed.

On the other hand, my ex-brother-in-law had similar experience to mine, declaring "I haven't felt this good in ten years!" when he had it.

10. vikx

vikx New Member

I think we are all different, just like MM is different for all of us. I have had no addiction or withdrawal with Valium. I took it daily for over 3 months and just forgot to take it one day. (dizzies were better) Believe me, I can tell when I need it-that off balance ugly moving feeling...Valium was a Godsend for me. I never got a "great" feeling with it, it just stopped the dizzies. VK

11. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

well, just perhaps to probably, & probably can last a few more years if I stick to my guns about avoiding doctors. I'm 74, you'll recall, & a small person with celtic bones, couldn't take their one fits all protocals.
    addiction to anything isn't really a problem with any knowledge, do it slowly. some pharms-recreational drugs can be deadly while using & when going off them. take it slowly.
    but toxicity aside from addiction is the problem. can cause intransible problems.