Valium warning

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by studio34, Oct 22, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. CGR

CGR Guest

See, that's the difference between a PhD and a grad student. We've been through all the drugs and defeated them one by one. You have to be an addict to get a PhD. Otherwise, how else do you get through the mind-numbing crap that your advisor throws at you. ;D

2. CGR

CGR Guest

Who needs clinical trials when you have anecdotal evidence?!?

Niiiiice! :D

3. CGR

CGR Guest

Speaking of fixes, have any of your MAVers tried medicinal marijuana? Serious question.

4. CGR

CGR Guest

Ok, something's not right with this picture. ;D

5. QueenB

QueenB New Member

I have been taking 5 mg daily (sometimes it takes about 2 hours to take effect, but I don't use any more) especially in the morning. I have disucssed with my primary, cardio and neurologist and they all agree that it is not enough to be a problem. Before I started the Meniett I used more when I had an attack. I now have been vertigo free for about 5 months. I sure hope this continues.

6. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

I have MAV and get horrible vertigo, but I recently had a bout of vestibular neuritis following the flu, and had to go to the ER for IV Valium. It took the edge off the horrible violent whirling. They gave me some to take home to use, 5 mg. 3 times a day and even that wasn't enough, and I'm 100 lbs. soaking wet. Over the past 2 months I think I have used 12 pills total (including the acute phase for the neuritis, 1st three days were hell).

Anyway, it's been 2 1/2 months and I had to use one yesterday. Granted I only used 5 mg. yesterday and hadn't had any for almost a month, but I'm terrified they are going to become addictive. I read it can stay in your body up to 200 hours so if you use a dose more than every 9 or 10 days, does that mean more and more of the med builds up in your body? I would think that's what it means.

The drs. said the VN could flare up over time. Because I have vestibular migraine, I already have trouble with vertigo and imbalance on the affected side. I'm grateful it's all on one side, so I still have one good side, but it's a double whammy. All I know is what I'm experiencing with these attacks is NOTHING like what I was having before. I was having severe dizziness and milder slower moving vertigo/whirling. This is just out of control where you can't even move a muscle or you vomit, and even with the Valium, it helps a bit but I still can't get up or move.

I guess what I want to know is how much would you have to take to have to take more and more for it to work, or to be able to stop it with no withdrawals? The general consensus I mean because I do realize everyone is different.

7. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

O personally think 5mg is good, I also think we focus too much on these benzos. Of you need them to calm the vertigo, my philosophy is take them why suffer.

I feel the same way about marajuana and cocaine.

8. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse New Member

For what it is worth, as my Meniere's has progressively worsened over the last 9 + years now with no remissions, Valium has occasionally been a real lifeline on those spin-out days. I am fairly large--6'6", usually hover at around 250 lbs.--and the 5mg pills I would take did not do a lot except make me a bit dull. My doctor increased my normal dose to 10 mg, which does a lot better.

I do not take it daily, and feel no craving for it at all. But there are days when I will take more than one (the most I have ever taken is 3 in a given day.) Again, much of what we share here is anecdotal, and this just underlines that each of us is unique in our response to this ailment and to medications our doctors prescribe in an effort to help us with our symptoms.

Just passing that along.

9. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

Understood. It's so bad I don't think twice about reaching for the Valium bottle, and I'm the type that will fight it tooth and nail not to take any meds. I hate them, especially if I know they are addicting. I'm just grateful to have something that helps just enough. I also don't feel any craving for them when I don't take them, but if I take them for more than a few days at at a time, which I have only done twice, when I come off them I get anxious and sweaty and nervous and my stomach hurts, but it's a small price to pay for some relief from those God awful spins.

10. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

I started back on valium in January. I was off of them for a long while, must have been in remission because I had no mm smyptoms. January a different story, took 2 mg in the morning and in the afternoon. Since March 14th been in a better place again but still wake up with my balance off so I continue with the 2 mg in the morning but have elimated the one in the afternoon. I take the 2 mg depending on how I feel when I get out of bed, if I feel anything off I pop the 2 mg. My PCP said I could take as much as 10 mg a day and not have to worry about addiction. I would do it if I needed to, without hesitation.

11. LisaB

LisaB New Member

Valium was a great, great help to me and it is a great treatment option for those with MM.

Trust your doc, not scare tactics about valium. It has to be taken with caution, just like tons of drugs I need to survive. I do well with all of them.

Lisa

12. Kee

Kee Guest

http://www.benzo.org.uk/

Due to their long half lives, valium and klonopin are often used to wean people off the other benzos. So not sure who thinks that valium is the worst.

Besides, if you need it, who cares if it's addictive? Is insulin addictive?

13. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Valium is the only drug that has consistently helped me with MM symptoms. I've never noticed any kind of addictive effect from it. I never crave it or feel like taking one for any reason other than elevated MM symptoms. Sometimes I go through a fair amount and other times I don't use it for long stretches.

I think there must be a reason people and docs fear it's addictive aspect, but I've never seen it and I know a little about addictions from a former life.

14. David1962

David1962 New Member

It's the only drug that will stop my vertigo dead in it's tracks. I take a half of a 5mg pill as needed only. If I feel a spin coming on then I take one and that's the only time I take it. Works every time.

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

My dr at Hopkins told me that it becomes. Addictive at astound 15 mg a day.

He told me o take it if needed, it has a long half life. Hengave me 5 mg tablets an told me do not take more than 10 mg a day. Anything less I would be ok,

never ever craved it.

16. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I never felt a pull with valium. I am addicted to insulin only in the sense that if I stop using it I will die :)

Lisa

17. Rusty

Rusty New Member

I tend to remember some trips to the emergency room and the dental surgeon as the greatest days fo my life, because I was given valium. I remember thinking "I get it! I understand why a person could get addicted to a drug now!" Never had that feeling with narcotics or anything else.

I know I couldn't be trusted with it. Well, my dog had a seizure once, but never again. She was prescribed valium. I'd think about that stuff most of the days I was home, because I knew it was there. I threw it all out after she died. I read this thread with envy.

Anyway, I know I can't be trusted with valium. Whenever the name comes up I think about what I'd trade or pay for it.

I tend to agree with the doctor who says that it's addictive. I also think it's great that you guys can get relief from anxiety and symptoms. Further proof that Valium is wonderful stuff, probably the greatest drug ever invented. ;D

18. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

I can see how people can get addicted too, to wanting to take it. I get that feeling too, but I'm too scared about becoming dependent and I read about the withdrawals from regular users of it, and it's TERRIFYING. Google "benzo withdrawal" to see. I don't take them more than a few times a month if that right now, and after I take them I swear I am having withdrawal. I have massive anxiety attacks, cramping stomach pain, and nausea, and I'm irritible, and this only happens a day AFTER I take a Valium. It does work for the crippling vertigo though, and for that reason I'll risk it because vertigo to me is the most terrifying thing in the world.

19. Kee

Kee Guest

Valium is one of the most sedating benzos with a lot of side effects, including causing depression after long-term use. It's also slow to act compared to Xanax and Ativan. You may want to consider trying another benzo. Klonopin has had good success with a lot of people, is not sedating like valium and doesn't have the ups and downs of Xanax and Ativan due to its longer half life. It's also one of the easiest to get off of after long-term use.

20. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

I keep reading that long term use it not safe, but what about if you use it long term but not regularly, like every day? Sometimes it's confusing to figure out what they mean.