Utterly Profound Writings

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Henrysullivan, Aug 11, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I agree. We should never stop trying to learn.

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. corona

corona New Member

That's possible. Perhaps knowing or comprehending on a cognitive level allows one to follow certain experiences or "see" what was once invisible. Either way....if what you learn limits you or keeps you exclusively in your head, it couldn't possibly be healthy.

But then again...so many of us with MM/MAV/shakes and spins are not able to chase experience. We are limited to perhaps just knowing in our heads.

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I bet he did both, and didn't wash his hands.

5. amberini

amberini New Member

Maybe EB White had .org in mind with his next quote.

There's no limit to how complicated things can get, on account of one thing always leading to another.
    E. B. White

6. amberini

amberini New Member

“The only source of knowledge is experience”

Albert Einstein

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

What if after all this learning, we end up discovering that what we had learned, and as a result know so much about, is just a bunch of crap? But we coudn't, and wouldn't know that it was a bunch of crap until we got to the point of knowing so much about it, at which point, however, at least we would cease to be dangerous with our too little knowledge about the subject.

But of course, one major point to consider here is that, when we might reach the point of discovering that what we had learned, and know so much about, now considered crap, going back to my earlier post, might just be the beginning point of understanding anything at all about the subject, at which point, realizing this, we will have just discovered ourselves potentially dangerous once again.

So when does learning end? I propose that learning in this life ends either at the grave, or at the moment of one's decision, but I remain open to learning more on the subject.

8. amberini

amberini New Member

Some people shut down, they are not open to any ideas but still technically alive.
    Nurture vs Nature, kids without one or the other have a harder time learning.

"What if after all this learning, we end up discovering that what we had learned, and as a result know so much about, is just a bunch of crap? "

No, it's what one does with the knowledge. It can be used for good or bad, personal choice, but then the ramifications of the choice come into play.

Let's say you and your career for instance. You know a lot about construction stuff. I guess that can make you dangerous IF you choose to use your knowledge to do shoddy work or charge excessive prices. Your knowledge allows you to make a choice.
    I am pretty sure you would be honest but in today's economic crisis, people are pushing the envelope everyday and in every area.

Knowledge is power and nothing corrupts more than power (except absolute power, for all the movie buffs).

It's in the way that you use it
    it comes and it goes
    It's in the way that you use it
    Boy don't you know
    ...Eric Clapton

9. June-

June- New Member

Information, experience and training is very useful. It's something we can work with, apply for good or ill. We can bring to it curiosity, experimentation, wonder and make great things, or we can use it like a blunt object to subdue and hope something we want comes out of that.

Knowledge assumes a degree of certainty that is about ego as much as information. At least that is how I would define the two words.

Information is never a bunch of crap. Knowledge is really an assertion one presents to one's self or others and can be about any subject including science or religion.

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

my field of study was psychology (had business degree alread) but my passion was forensic psychology (profiling). Many of my fellow students (who were not equipped with real world experience and still needed a few more years of schooling) took there two or three years of pscyhology training and started using that to counsel and diagnoses people - especially their family and friends. They knew a concept or two but didn't have practical experience or clinic experience (rather book knowledge) and began to apply some of those psychological concepts to others and began to analyze and counsel those in need of help and in some instances it was most dangerous and one ended in suicide.

I've explained before about me and education and my ego...and am too tired to explain today my meaning but perhaps tomorrow I shall.

11. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

At one time, the present state of knowledge was that the world was flat. That knowledge was used by various civilizations to construct erroneous models of the universe. Ultimately, they discovered that the basis under which they established every assumption on which they relied, was crap. False. That is what I am talking about. So at that point, science had a new beginning, with new assumptions, new truth. And it relies on that truth to postulate and propose additional truth. So was that the world is flat simply an evolution of the process that ultimately yielded the truth, or was that just a false assumption overwritten by the truth? I don't know. But any of us who rely on certain truths, truths on which we base life decisions, are really in the same position as were those who claimed the world was flat. There is always more information, more experiences to come. And those experiences can, and do, alter our present views of what is real.

12. June-

June- New Member

"There is always more information, more experiences to come. And those experiences can, and do, alter our present views of what is real."

Of course.

13. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

That may seem obvious on the surface in a stand alone sentence. But please, if you want to understand any larger point I have in mind, consider the context within which I made the statement. The context imparts meaning to this otherwise obvious remark.

14. June-

June- New Member

I couldn't follow the rest of your post. I assumed that statement summed it up. Should I look harder so I can find something to disagree with?

15. June-

June- New Member

- :D that explains everything perfectly, really

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

17. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

What you applaud, you encourage. And watch out what you celebrate.

Peggy Noonan

18. amberini

amberini New Member

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

19. pardonme

pardonme Guest