Utterly Profound Writings

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Henrysullivan, Aug 11, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. corona

corona New Member

It could be a reference to paradox. The less attached you are to anything, the more you find yourself sharing it or giving it away or letting go of it or not stressing over the loss of it. If you experience life and what comes with it as something that doesn't belong to you, you suffer less (or to a lesser degree) than if you experienced everything with a sense of entitlement.

Buddhism tends to look at the broader meaning of words. I don't have answers for you, just what I take it to mean for me.

2. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

my understanding of non-attachment in Buddhism is twofold--non attachment to things and non attachment to ego, the latter of which can be a much more confounding and elusive (and also illusive) concept
    but I studied Buddhism most seriously when I was 18 so it's been a while since I thought of things in exactly those terms
    (regardless, commie pinko stuff for sure Sarita)
    now I am more intrigued by the sound of one hand clapping

3. corona

corona New Member

Good reminder to accept our human limitations.

4. June-

June- New Member

One hand clapping has a different meaning for me since I flirted with total deafness.

5. Steve333

Steve333 New Member

i can do all things through christ. many christians repeat this verse and take it to mean that anything is possible for them. i take it to mean that if i am in the will of god i can do those things that are good; those things that are pure; those things that are kind; those things that are holy; those things that have eternal consequences.

6. amberini

amberini New Member

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

7. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I like that one, Amberini. When confronted with the abyss, that does affect one's outlook.

8. amberini

amberini New Member

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.
    E. B. White

9. amberini

amberini New Member

;D

Be obscure clearly.
    E. B. White

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

E B's day planning sounds like he doesn't know whether to s--t or wind his watch, which is profound in an obscure sort of way.

11. Perses

Perses Guest

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

~Socrates

12. Perses

Perses Guest

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."

~Socrates

13. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

so true

14. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

bravo!

15. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Thanks Perses. And I will add the natural corrolary:

"One can never know the extent to which one does not know."

Anonimous

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

good one as well

i always say - the higher the education I received the less I realized I knew...however in my junior year of college I realized that a little bit of knowledge is most dangerous - knowing more than the average of a subject but less than needed - made me a very dangerous person... :) - thank the good LOrd I didn't hurt anyone too badly with my brilliance - haha

17. pardonme

pardonme Guest

18. corona

corona New Member

You've said this on more than one occasion but I don't understand what you mean by it.
    I've never associated knowledge with being dangerous (unless you build a bomb and hurt people).
    Why would one stop at addition and subtraction when you can learn more and explore the wonders of physics or chemistry with the help of advanced math? Think of all the beautiful things in the universe you could get to know.

Or reading. Why stop at basic literacy and limit yourself to early readers when you could learn more and enjoy the wit and humor of Shakespeare?

Are you saying your personality is such that when you learn something it turns you into a person you wish you were not?
    That's not knowledge or learning or education then....it sounds like it has something to do with you personally.

I've always wanted to ask you what you mean when you say this. Can you explain it further? I've read how you word your experiences in books. It takes education to do that.....yet you seem to look down upon it. I don't understand.

You seem to like the sayings of Socrates. Here is one that a friend of mine has on his desk....What a person has knowledge of, they can give an account of (explanation or definition in words).

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Sometimes a little knowledge can make one believe they know more than they do. In which case, one might venture to tackle more than he or she is qualified to take on. That can make him or her dangerous.

20. corona

corona New Member

OK. Makes sense. All the more of an incentive to take it to another level. The only danger I see in 'a little knowledge' is limiting oneself from exploring potential....like doing a little bit of painting or a little bit of singing or a little bit of writing when you could open the cages and soar.