Upper Cervical correction helping menieres -research study

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by gbesso, Dec 6, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. deadeye

deadeye New Member

thanks for the info guys. i read the post and have found one in austin tx. am waiting for him to open this morning to give him a call. will keep you posted. GOD bless you all deadeye

2. milo

milo New Member

Thank you Dr., Besso sooo much. Comparing a Nucca chiro to a regular chiro is like comparing apples to oranges. Imho, a regular chiro has very little understanding of our plight.

After trying everything, I started seeing a Nucca practitioner in Sept of this year. He xrayed my spine. My Atlas bone (top vertabrae) was out several degrees. After 10 days my hearing started to return. Since then I have now had at least 12 treatments. I am symptom free right now.

I can't say it loud enough. GO TO A NUCCA PRATITIONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gbesso

gbesso New Member

I should add that an upper cervical specific chiropractor is different from others. There are a few techniques that are classified 'upper cervical'.
    We use NUCCA (national upper cervical chiropractic asscociation)
    a listing of doctors is on our website http://bessoclinic.com click on the giraffe on the left.

...The spine should not be simply 'moved', it should be move back to the proper alignment and the results should be measured objectively. With our procedure we can measure the amount of the correction.

In regard to patient not getting better in one adjustment...
    if everyone who used phamaceutical medicine that didn't get better after one pill stopped taking it, there would be noone left taking medicine. ...healing takes time
    God Bless,

Dr. Geoff Besso http://bessoclinic.com

4. lady56

lady56 New Member

There is a chiropractor that does this not very far from me. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what the office says. Thanks

Linda M

5. Nairina

Nairina New Member

my symptoms are at their worst when my neck and shoulders are "out" - I see a physio with a good knowledge of menieres.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

I would love to give NUCCA treatments a try but unfortunately I can't locate a doctor anywhere in this area. If anyone happens to know of a clinic in the Ottawa area please let me know. I've used every link/search engine I can think of.

Amethyst

7. claygirl

claygirl Snowy morning in the Catskills

Even though I've just gone through 4 gent injections (tough ride!), I've made an appointment on Monday with a Nucca practitioner in my area. I'm still having "attacks" but without the spins... still getting nauseated, sweaty, unfocused, off balance, balloon headed. So even though these gent injections are supposed to kill off the balance center, I'm still suffering. I'm hoping these adjustments will get to the root of it all! Thanks to Dr. Besso for your time and caring attention. I look forward to hearing from all the others who are just starting out with Nucca too.

8. deadeye

deadeye New Member

had my first adjustment 5 days ago. was having pretty good days so time will tell. am pretty excited though. seems like the noise level has gone done. went to dr. in austin,tx. in tx. theres only about 4 groups of drs. in tx. i believe. will keep you guys posted. happy holidays. deadeye

9. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Bump for all those interested who are currently looking into NUCCA.

Lee

10. songbird

songbird New Member

Amethyst - There is an office of NUCCA practitioners in Montreal - Laval, actually. I went there last week for an initial assessment. Sure enough, one leg is shorter than the other - my left. Coincidentially it's the same side as the ear with tinnitis, fullness and hearing loss.

The office is called Kirospecifik and it's located in Laval at 1755, Boul du Souvenir, Laval, PQ (460) 668-28777. The website is www.top-c1.com.

I have my first adjustment on Thursday this week, so I'll keep you posted on my progress. Yes, it's a 2 1/2 drive, but I'm hoping that its worth it. After reading this site, I'm hopeful that I will get my life back.

11. Amethyst

That's great news Songbird - and thanks for the info. I had heard that NUCCA practioners could be found over the boarder in Quebec. Right now I'm trying to get one of my doctors to perscribe the treatment so that I can get a little coverage. Unfortunately my G.P. is unwilling to do so. I hope to have better luck with my new ENT that I go see in March. I'd definitely like to pursue this treatment avenue in the near future.

I'm so glad you're going and I hope it really helps you. Please do keep me up-to-date, I'd love to hear how you're progressing.

Amethyst

12. goldie

goldie me and joshua

Dr.would you send this report to my e-mail address so I can print it. Thank you for this info I have had menieres for 6 years now.

Paula

13. songbird

songbird New Member

My GP told me she could "condone" the treatment - so I'm not surprised that your GP is unwilling as well. Just out of curiousity - what ENT are you seeing? I'm with Dr. Matays on Merivale Rd. I was originally diagnosed by Dr. Love and wasn't too impressed with the whole process. I didn't want to go back to him once the whole thing flared up again this summer - which seemed to be triggered by a trip to New York City, a terrible sinus infection followed by cold and more sinus infections after that. I've been off work after having a dizzy episode the end of January and they told me to go home and rest "until I got better". Well, I'm hoping the team at Kirospecifik can help - the one doctor I saw told me that my hips are an inch out of alignment, my left foot is shorter than the right and I have an inverted cervical neck - instead of it being an inverted C shape it's the other way around. So my first adjustment is Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you work? If so, have you ever had an attack at work and what have you done about it? I must admit I'm reluctant to return....

14. Amethyst

Hi Songbird,

I've been with Dr.Souaid (Broadview Ave) for nearly a year but I'm finding it time to move on. I'm about to see a new ENT on March 7th. Her name is Dr. Laurie McLean (Bank/Kilborne) and I've heard great things about her from the Canadian Hearing Society in Ottawa. One of the best things about this ENT is the fact that she studied under the well respected neurotologist in Ottawa, Dr. Schramm. What I hear about Dr. Schramm is absolutely incredible - a rare breed who knows is stuff inside out, teaches, amazing surgeon...and on top of that, someone who apparently takes all the time needed to ensure his patients are well equipped with information, and compassion. I've been waiting to see Dr. Schramm for 9 months now (his waiting list is 1-2 yrs). Dr. McLean, I hear has a lot of similar compassionate qualities, and the knowledge from having studied from the best. Only problem....she's going on 6 months maternity leave the day after my assessment with her! Darn, it was quite a disappointment but I guess 6 months isn't all that long. I'll make a decision to either see her colleague in her absence or remain with my old ENT.

What do you think of Dr.Matays?

As for working, I had to stop working too unfortunately. I don't typically suffer from true vertigo attacks (just one recent one) but I do experience severe dizziness/visual disturbances many times daily. I tried to keep working but couldn't manage. I also have severe Tullio's that was being triggured in the many meetings involved in my job. I was walking into walls in front of clients, couldn't walk straight, couldn't think straight, couldn't handle any noise, etc, etc.
    I've been off since last May and I'm anxious to get back to work.

I think there's lots of people who could offer you suggestions on how to handle an attack at work - you might even want to start a new post on the subject. I know that Gwendelyn has been smart by carrying an emergency type kit with her - a ziplock bag (to throw up in - got to do what 'ya got to do :-[), anti-nausea meds, and crackers to help with the nausea and vomitting. Myself, when I go back to work I will carry one of these kits too. I've also spoken with my colleagues and told them what to expect and what I would like done/or not done in the case of an attack. My colleagues are very understanding and have all my contact numbers easily available if needed. We have nurses on site which also helps.

Yes please let me know about your first adjustment and how it goes in general. My concern is that the treatment process could be a long one and I simply haven't had the time to wait. I need to get back to work before I lose my job and benefits. I'd love to hear when you find benefit from the treatment - and how much benefit. Any details would be appreciated.

Amethyst

15. songbird

songbird New Member

Hi Amethyst:

Dr. Matways is good - thorough I think you would say. He's trying to get the root of my problems. He doesn't think I have MD but can't account for the hearing loss in my left ear (which is worse now than a few years ago) and thinks I have migraine associated vertigo. Which could disappear as quickly as it's come on, he told me. My original ENT, Dr. Love, called it possible MD but wasn't conclusive.

The tests I took - the EchoG wasn't conclusive, but the doctor told me that's normal. I thought - why do the test if it doesn't tell you anything? My frustrating showing. He says it's nothing serious (read: life threatening) and now I'm being sent to the Queensway for an MRI, some tests on my neck to check the blood flow, and a follow up with a neurologist. Which will be at my doctor's discretion, I suppose. That's who they refer to, so I'll have to start there. I don't think I have a choice in the matter.

I'll let you know about the adjustments after I go on Thursday. Good thing my husband likes to drive...it's a crazy drive to Laval - I hate the traffic there. I'm not big on BIG cities.

take care. I hope we both get back to work soon. I don't have every day vertigo - that's why he thinks it's migraines. My colleagues are prepared to help me, though, so we'll see how it goes.

16. Amethyst

Thanks for the added info Songbird. I'm glad you're going through more testing because it doesn't seem your case is cut and dry. The more testing you can get the more of a chance for a concrete, accurate diagnosis. My dx was made within 10mins of seeing an audiologists and I continued to doubt it for quite a while even though multiple doctors agreed with it. In the end my neurotologist explained that my dx was so easy to make because of the 'classic configuration of the unilateral hearing loss' and the fact that it fluctuates. My hearing was one of the first things to be affected, second only to tinnitus. For that reason, my doctor's explanation finally made sense to me and I stopped wondering. Although I've never been through an ECoG I have hydrops confirmed through a positive fistula test. Seems an odd way to descide I have hydrops for certain but apparently all the pressure built up in my ear proves this theory. I hope you can quickly get through all the frustration of an uncertain diagnosis. It's so hard to treat an ailment when you're not really sure what it is. From what I've seen around here, MAV is one of the difficult ones to put a finger on but as long as your doctor is thorough then I'm sure you'll get some good help.

I hope you find success with the chiro route. I can see why you'd hate the drive...me too! I don't go to Montreal unless I have to. I was considering going to an osteopath instead of NUCCA because there are supposedly good ones in the Ottawa-Hull region. I'm actually over an hour west of Ottawa (Lanark County) and would be better off heading to Toronto for NUCCA treatments than Montreal. Either way it sure is a very long drive though and I couldn't make the trip very often.

All the very best to you. I'm happy to hear your colleagues are ready to support you in your work environment. That makes a big difference

Amethyst

17. drburcon

drburcon New Member

Check this site for several Meniere's articles www.burconchiropractic.com

18. ThornInDaesSide

ThornInDaesSide New Member

Along with Meniere's, I have four bulging cervical discs, C4-7. C7 compresses a nerve in my left shoulder, giving me all sorts of heck.

I have a friend who had virtually the same problem, to the extent to where she just underwent surgery to fuse her C-spine. However, she never experienced any vertigo, even though her injuries were caused by whiplash.

There could be a connection there for many people, I'll grant that. However, I'm just not comfortable with the thought of a chiro messing with me.

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Read George's latest post concernng the procedure. I swear, he is correct. You would barely know that someone has touched you if you go to NUCCA. The problems with your lower vertebrae are very likely to begin with the first one, atlas, C1. And you are another in a long line of Meniere's sufferers with a laundry list of upper cervical and spine problems.

Hank

20. I'm beginning to suspect that most of the adjustment comes in having your head rest on that little stand, not from the application of the chiropractor's hands. Makes no real difference if I am right, though, because the doctor is very careful in the positioning of your head and therefore it's part of the treatment whether anyone knows it or not. (Best way to test this would be to do a trial run with a volunteer--get on the couch, put your head in the right place for ten minutes or so and do nothing else--does that cause an adjustment?)